I hope Blue Jays stay in Toronto and Canada

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope Blue Jays stay in Toronto and Canada

After the 2004 season, Major League Baseball approved the relocation of the Montreal Expos franchise to Washington, DC to become the Nationals, to an extent upsetting the people of Montreal, the province of Quebec, and the nation of Canada, for it was Montreal that was MLB's first team outside of the USA in 1969.

It seems Bud Selig wanted the Expos out of Canada, and outside of independent baseball, there are only two professional baseball teams in Canada that have to do with Major League Baseball. One is the Toronto Blue Jays of the American League (founded in 1977) and the other team is the Vancouver Canadians, a Northwest League team affiliated with the Oakland Athletics.

I remember besides the Expos and Blue Jays, Canada had 4 AAA teams, located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa.

I'm scared that if Selig took the Expos out of Montreal, and with the value of the Canadian dollar compared to the US dollar, I hope that the Blue Jays don't leave the nest and move to the US.
    MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

I seriously believe that the Jays are here to stay for the forseeable future. They have a very steady and supportive ownership who has many other investments that rely on the Jays (i.e. Rogers Centre, Sportsnet, Fan590) and without the Jays, they lack programming for Sportsnet and Fan590 during the summers and the Rogers Centre will be essentially useless. The money has been there ever since JP asked for that bump in payroll and even though the Jays pretty much take a loss every year, Rogers is so successful that they can continue to take these losses and just use the Jays as a tax write-off until they start bringing in the fans.

I also think that any comparisons with the Expos is a little premature. I mean the Expos averaged less than the Jays all-time attendance low in the last few years of their existence and were drawing crowds in the 3,000s, which I feel the Jays are very from doing. I think once the NBA and NHL playoffs end and students begin their summer vacations, you'll see a little bump in attendance to (hopefully) averaging 15,000 a game.

Also, the Canadian dollar may be losing a bit on the US dollar, but remember that several years ago it was down at about 0.67 or something like that and there were never really concerns, so I don't see it being an issue right now. It's definitely not a good thing that it's going down, but at the same time, I don't see it being much of a factor in determining whether the Jays relocate or not.

Comment

This isn't something I worry about. Ever.
      WAMCO!

Comment

I worry about it. We need to average 25K fans (2 million a year) to stay a big league market.

Comment

What does that mean? "Stay a big league market". It sounds rather ominous.

First of all, I don't think that there's a benchmark at 25,000. But moreover, I'm sure that the Jays will get there anyway. If not this year then in a couple. Our biggest weekend draw so far this year has been the Angels. We've also played the White Sox, Royals and A's at home, who won't bring in big crowds. We've got weekend series' with the Rays (x2), Yankees, Sox, "Phillies", and Detroit left in the year. Those teams will bring in a fair number of fans.

All I'm saying is that the Jays aren't going anywhere. Period. Even if their avg. attendance stays where it is right now (16,271). Which it won't.
          WAMCO!

Comment

By stay a big league market I simple mean continue to have a major league baseball team. I know the schedule hasn't had the biggest draws yet, but there was a time we used to get 50K for the Kansas City Royals on Wenesday night.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
              I worry about it. We need to average 25K fans (2 million a year) to stay a big league market.
              For the record almost half of all 30 teams are averaging less than 25,000 per game. I doubt that half of MLB will be relocating anytime soon. Where would they relocate to?
              I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
              - Walt Whitman

Comment

If Rogers ever sold the team, I would worry a little bit.

Even if Rogers is losing money on the Jays, its not like its hurting them too much. I mean, the company is worth over $8 billion lol. We should have a payroll like the Yankees :P
                http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

Originally posted by MrJayB View Post
                  After the 2004 season, Major League Baseball approved the relocation of the Montreal Expos franchise to Washington, DC to become the Nationals, to an extent upsetting the people of Montreal, the province of Quebec, and the nation of Canada, for it was Montreal that was MLB's first team outside of the USA in 1969.

It seems Bud Selig wanted the Expos out of Canada.
                  Actually there's a lot of evidence to the contrary. Lots of American traditionalist fans wanted to see a franchise in the nation's capitol and there was a lot of pressure brought to bear from fans in DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia. I think Selig resisted these outside pressures for as long as possible. Eventually he decided that rather than constrict the league and kill of the Montreal franchise and another 1 to 3 franchises, that he finally approved Montreal ownership's request for permission to move the franchise to Washington. He refused to do that for several years, however, and saw it (stripping Montreal of it's MLB franchise) as a option of last resort. Selig only approved the move after Expos ownership had formulated a clear plan to build a new stadium, in effect, a new permanent home for the franchise.

-philliesfiend55-

Comment

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                    For the record almost half of all 30 teams are averaging less than 25,000 per game. I doubt that half of MLB will be relocating anytime soon. Where would they relocate to?
                    Thats true, however we have been conisistently at the bottom despite having average teams. Also, don't overlook the difference in economies between US and Canada. I live in Cleveland (the worst attendence) and we have 11-12% unemployment and the team is one of the worst in the league. The Jays are one game out of the wild card and Toronto is doing reletively well economically right now.

Comment

What ever happened to this franchise? Didn't they draw four million once?

Comment

Do fans ever become demoralized being in the same division as the Yanks and Red Sox and not go to the games or support the Jays? I mean the Jays could never outspend the Red Sox or Yanks for players. Rickey Henderson once played for the Jays. That could never happen today.

Comment

Richard, we've been demoralized for 10 years. At the least.

Being in the AL East sucks - I think we probably would have made the playoffs twice in the mid-2000's had we been in the NL Central or West. But such is life.

Beat 'dem Yanks!
                          WAMCO!

Comment

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/M.../14225471.html

It turns out that I am not the only one who fears this.

Comment

I don't buy that article for a single second.

First of all, couldn't the argument be made, from what was said in the article, that it is easy to draw fans? Market more aggressively, drop ticket prices, have some toonie-tuesdays where people who know nothing about baseball go down to the yard and get wasted in the 500 level and voila, more people in the seats. But all that stuff COSTS money, so maybe Beeston doesn't think that the time is right to make the investment. Over 6 years, the team doubled sales revenues under Elster. But how much did all the advertising cost? How much did it cost to pay the sales staff? How much did they lose on tickets by only charging $2 for them? Revenues doubled from sales, but profits definitely didn't go up by $30 million. Beeston's "One step back for a large leap forward" is indicative of the patience with which he is approaching the situation.

Elster says that he prefers to have 20,000 in the stands because it makes a franchise look healthier. But that's really all it is - a preference for a certain optics. It seems that Beeston has had the team advertised as up-and-coming, and doesn't want to build expectations too high. He wants to build a solid base of fans who come to see THE GAME, then build from there with the casual fan who comes to the SkyDome because it's trendy, fun or a cheap night out.

The throw-in line at the end: "If this lack of interest keeps up, could we go down the path of the Montreal Expos and lose this baseball team one day?" is absolute baloney, and awful journalism to boot. This team has an ownership with BILLIONS of dollars that has committed to spending lots of dough on the team if the situation demands it. The Expos drew under a million fans for their last 7 years at the Big O. There is NO WAY that will ever happen too the Jays. They'll average 1.3 million this year if they stay at their current average of 16,000. But I almost guarantee they'll finish the season with a higher average than that.

I really wish the media would stop it with the Expos comparisons. They're just trying to build drama where none exists.
                              WAMCO!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X