• aqib
    replied
    The article is mostly about the Expos but

read the second to last paragraph

http://www.bugsandcranks.com/bugsand...th-kevin-glew/

Leave a comment:

• cooperstownersincanada
    replied
    I admit that I have thought about this, but I'm doubtful it will ever happen. Baseball is not as dependent on ticket sales as a sport like hockey. Revenue comes through TV contracts, licensing, internet, etc. Toronto is a hockey town and a bandwagon baseball town. Trust me, if the Jays are contending in September, the fans will be back. The Jays' TV ratings are actually very good. Rogers Sportsnet reported that close to 700,000 people watched a game in a series against Boston earlier this year. For a country with 30-some million people, that is pretty impressive. The interest is there, but the intrigue of the SkyDome is gone. But the fans will be back in a couple of years, when the Jays are competitive.

Leave a comment:

• History Of Baseball Fan
    replied
    The thing is, its hit or miss with international free agents. They only have a track record playing in a league not has talented as the majors. I'd rather have Anthopolous pay millions to established major leaguers...

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    From what I've read the Jays do very well on local television. Anyway they've been spending millions on international free agents lately. I guess they were serious when the Jays announced a new direction after the GM was fired. Good for the jays!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Richard View Post
    Do fans ever become demoralized being in the same division as the Yanks and Red Sox and not go to the games or support the Jays? I mean the Jays could never outspend the Red Sox or Yanks for players. Rickey Henderson once played for the Jays. That could never happen today.
    Rogers Communications is worth billions, so really, we should be spending like them...

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Hill Phoenix
    replied
    I don't buy that article for a single second.

First of all, couldn't the argument be made, from what was said in the article, that it is easy to draw fans? Market more aggressively, drop ticket prices, have some toonie-tuesdays where people who know nothing about baseball go down to the yard and get wasted in the 500 level and voila, more people in the seats. But all that stuff COSTS money, so maybe Beeston doesn't think that the time is right to make the investment. Over 6 years, the team doubled sales revenues under Elster. But how much did all the advertising cost? How much did it cost to pay the sales staff? How much did they lose on tickets by only charging $2 for them? Revenues doubled from sales, but profits definitely didn't go up by $30 million. Beeston's "One step back for a large leap forward" is indicative of the patience with which he is approaching the situation.

Elster says that he prefers to have 20,000 in the stands because it makes a franchise look healthier. But that's really all it is - a preference for a certain optics. It seems that Beeston has had the team advertised as up-and-coming, and doesn't want to build expectations too high. He wants to build a solid base of fans who come to see THE GAME, then build from there with the casual fan who comes to the SkyDome because it's trendy, fun or a cheap night out.

The throw-in line at the end: "If this lack of interest keeps up, could we go down the path of the Montreal Expos and lose this baseball team one day?" is absolute baloney, and awful journalism to boot. This team has an ownership with BILLIONS of dollars that has committed to spending lots of dough on the team if the situation demands it. The Expos drew under a million fans for their last 7 years at the Big O. There is NO WAY that will ever happen too the Jays. They'll average 1.3 million this year if they stay at their current average of 16,000. But I almost guarantee they'll finish the season with a higher average than that.

I really wish the media would stop it with the Expos comparisons. They're just trying to build drama where none exists.

Leave a comment:

• aqib
    replied
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/M.../14225471.html

It turns out that I am not the only one who fears this.

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Hill Phoenix
    replied
    Richard, we've been demoralized for 10 years. At the least.

Being in the AL East sucks - I think we probably would have made the playoffs twice in the mid-2000's had we been in the NL Central or West. But such is life.

Beat 'dem Yanks!

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Do fans ever become demoralized being in the same division as the Yanks and Red Sox and not go to the games or support the Jays? I mean the Jays could never outspend the Red Sox or Yanks for players. Rickey Henderson once played for the Jays. That could never happen today.

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    What ever happened to this franchise? Didn't they draw four million once?

Leave a comment:

• aqib
    replied
    Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
    For the record almost half of all 30 teams are averaging less than 25,000 per game. I doubt that half of MLB will be relocating anytime soon. Where would they relocate to?
    Thats true, however we have been conisistently at the bottom despite having average teams. Also, don't overlook the difference in economies between US and Canada. I live in Cleveland (the worst attendence) and we have 11-12% unemployment and the team is one of the worst in the league. The Jays are one game out of the wild card and Toronto is doing reletively well economically right now.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Originally posted by MrJayB View Post
    After the 2004 season, Major League Baseball approved the relocation of the Montreal Expos franchise to Washington, DC to become the Nationals, to an extent upsetting the people of Montreal, the province of Quebec, and the nation of Canada, for it was Montreal that was MLB's first team outside of the USA in 1969.

It seems Bud Selig wanted the Expos out of Canada.
    Actually there's a lot of evidence to the contrary. Lots of American traditionalist fans wanted to see a franchise in the nation's capitol and there was a lot of pressure brought to bear from fans in DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia. I think Selig resisted these outside pressures for as long as possible. Eventually he decided that rather than constrict the league and kill of the Montreal franchise and another 1 to 3 franchises, that he finally approved Montreal ownership's request for permission to move the franchise to Washington. He refused to do that for several years, however, and saw it (stripping Montreal of it's MLB franchise) as a option of last resort. Selig only approved the move after Expos ownership had formulated a clear plan to build a new stadium, in effect, a new permanent home for the franchise.

-philliesfiend55-

Leave a comment:

replied
    If Rogers ever sold the team, I would worry a little bit.

Even if Rogers is losing money on the Jays, its not like its hurting them too much. I mean, the company is worth over $8 billion lol. We should have a payroll like the Yankees :P

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    Originally posted by aqib View Post
    I worry about it. We need to average 25K fans (2 million a year) to stay a big league market.
    For the record almost half of all 30 teams are averaging less than 25,000 per game. I doubt that half of MLB will be relocating anytime soon. Where would they relocate to?

Leave a comment:

• aqib
    replied
    By stay a big league market I simple mean continue to have a major league baseball team. I know the schedule hasn't had the biggest draws yet, but there was a time we used to get 50K for the Kansas City Royals on Wenesday night.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X