X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominik
    replied
    Originally posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
    Hitting HRs is fine, but they aren't going to hit 4+ every game. they live and die by the HR and they will go nowhere if they have to rely on it to win every game. you can't overlook their pathetic team batting AVG... and have you ever noticed how many times they fail to cash in with RISP? i guess Lind with that .220-ish AVG, Hills .210-ish and Overbays .240ish AVG (just to name a few) says a lot right there. without their precious HR, they will fail 8 or 9 times out of 10 when they need that big hit the most.

there are too things that have to go right for the Jays to compete next year. Hill and Lind have to have seasons similar to last years. Bautista has to prove that this year wasn't just a fluke and Wells has to put up the numbers he did 5+ years ago. the Jays also have to get rid of Gregg, Downs, Frasor and actually get some better 7-8-9 inning guys. I'd say take a chance on JJ Putz... i mean he can't be any worse than Gregg can he? I think Marcum, Cecil, Romero and Morrow pitched pretty good for the most part, but i'm not fully convinced yet that any of those four are going to be Cy Young candidates anytime soon. you throw a guy like Cliff Lee infront of those four and you have one of the best starting rotations on baseball.
    Right a little more average could certainly not hurt. the offense is very strange. they lead the league in slugging and HRs(even the yanks), but their BA is only 8th. very strange is also that they are 4th in OPS which usually correlates well with runs but only 8th in runs.

Still of course the pitching is a big problem. they hav promising talent but it's not quite there exept their top 3 who are quite good. overall their pitching ranks 11th in era in the league only ahead of cleveland, baltimore and KC

Leave a comment:

• cooperstownersincanada
    replied
    Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
    One can only hope the Jays even get a shot at signing Votto. I just don't see it happening because of that extension idea you mentioned above. He's kind of like the Albert Pujols of the Reds, they won't let him go without a hell of a fight IMO.
    I agree with you. But if the Reds can't sign him, my guess is Toronto is on the top of his list of preferred destinations.

Leave a comment:

• babaganoosh
    replied
    One can only hope the Jays even get a shot at signing Votto. I just don't see it happening because of that extension idea you mentioned above. He's kind of like the Albert Pujols of the Reds, they won't let him go without a hell of a fight IMO.

Leave a comment:

• cooperstownersincanada
    replied
    Just a quick note, I was lucky enough to have a lengthy interview with Joey Votto in 2008. It's not unfathomable that this guy could end up a Jay one day. He's very close with his family (has two twin little brothers) and they still live in the Toronto area. He was a huge Blue Jays fan when he was growing up and he LOVES the city of Toronto. The Reds will likely sign him to a long-term deal before the Jays have a shot at him, but Toronto would definitely be on the top of his list of preferred playing destinations.

Leave a comment:

• Big_Mac
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy Halladay View Post
    I agree with baba because unless we're willing to give people like crawford, pena or possibly even votto, a lot of money, then no chance. Overbay wants to stay with the jays and he's been doing great. Maybe with howard or pena, we'd be covered for the first basemens.

And as for the pitching, we had that *Cough* my name *Cough*. I don't think I've ever seen Halladay not get a complete game except for the rare few. I'm very sad he's gone, and now Marcum is doing so well so we have to rely on our young starting pitchers.

Also, Escobar has been doing fantastic when it comes to getting on base. One more guy like Vladamir would be awesome really and would shape up the team.

Final thoughts: Offence is fine, defence is fine, pitching is not.
    I disagree with you about the pitching, specifically the guys up front. I think the starting rotation will be fine. Alot of those guys were still digesting the major leagues this season and we saw flashes of brillance from every member. Marcum, Romero, Cecil, Morrow is a very fine young front 4 and there are lots of others knocking on the door next year for a role in the rotation (Scrabble, Drabek, etc.).

As for the 'pen however, it will be revamped next year and it will be a question mark. It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out as far as the 'pen next season.

Realisitically, they aren't going to sign any big names off that list and I am not sure if I would want any of the leftovers that would be available. Likely all that would be left would be high power, low average guys, which they have plenty of. I would rather see AA ride the younger guys if they are ready and continue to develop this team, hopefully with a big payoff 2-3 years from now.

Leave a comment:

• cooperstownersincanada
    replied
    I think the Jays will likely pick up the option on Gregg. As nerve-wracking as he has been, he still has 31 saves and will be one of the few veterans in the Jays' pen next year. I think Purcey can take over Downs' role, but Cito does have to get him some experience in close games down the stretch. Carlson can be the first lefty out of the pen. The thought of Janssen being the set up guy is a little frightening, but he hasn't been terrible this year- no worse than Fraser or Camp in the second half. If Roenicke can pitch like he did in Triple A this year, that would be another solid arm for the pen. But I still would like to see the Jays add a couple of dependable relievers.

Leave a comment:

• History Of Baseball Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    -they are first in HRs(more then yanks, sox, rays)
    -4th in OPS
    -2nd in total bases

You should look past BA it doesn't mean much. OPS correlates very well with runs, so their offense should be good.

On the other hand their era is only 9th in the league.
    Hitting HRs is fine, but they aren't going to hit 4+ every game. they live and die by the HR and they will go nowhere if they have to rely on it to win every game. you can't overlook their pathetic team batting AVG... and have you ever noticed how many times they fail to cash in with RISP? i guess Lind with that .220-ish AVG, Hills .210-ish and Overbays .240ish AVG (just to name a few) says a lot right there. without their precious HR, they will fail 8 or 9 times out of 10 when they need that big hit the most.

there are too things that have to go right for the Jays to compete next year. Hill and Lind have to have seasons similar to last years. Bautista has to prove that this year wasn't just a fluke and Wells has to put up the numbers he did 5+ years ago. the Jays also have to get rid of Gregg, Downs, Frasor and actually get some better 7-8-9 inning guys. I'd say take a chance on JJ Putz... i mean he can't be any worse than Gregg can he? I think Marcum, Cecil, Romero and Morrow pitched pretty good for the most part, but i'm not fully convinced yet that any of those four are going to be Cy Young candidates anytime soon. you throw a guy like Cliff Lee infront of those four and you have one of the best starting rotations on baseball.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    Good offence? They have one of the worst batting averages in the league and have to rely on HRs to win games. They also cannot hit with RISP which is why they lose so many games. Well, that and their bullpen has been terrible all year. Its a shame really, because they've wasted so many good games from Marcum, Cecil, Romero and Morrow when they fail to give them run support or the pen can't hold a lead for a couple of innings...
    -they are first in HRs(more then yanks, sox, rays)
    -4th in OPS
    -2nd in total bases

You should look past BA it doesn't mean much. OPS correlates very well with runs, so their offense should be good.

On the other hand their era is only 9th in the league.
    Last edited by dominik; 09-12-2010, 08:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    I think the BlueJays have a pretty good chance. Plus the Yankees arent really getting younger

Leave a comment:

• cooperstownersincanada
    replied
    Good offence? They have one of the worst batting averages in the league and have to rely on HRs to win games. They also cannot hit with RISP which is why they lose so many games. Well, that and their bullpen has been terrible all year. Its a shame really, because they've wasted so many good games from Marcum, Cecil, Romero and Morrow when they fail to give them run support or the pen can't hold a lead for a couple of innings...
    The bullpen will be totally revamped in 2011. We likely won't see Downs, Fraser, Camp or Tallet with the club next year. The Jays will likely pick up the option on Gregg. That means the lefties out of the pen will likely be Purcey (some scouts say he has closer stuff) and Carlson (can he be any worse than Tallet?) I think they'll miss Downs though. It's too bad Accardo will walk away for nothing. He was the reliever of the year in the PCL, a league best known for high batting averages and home runs. I would like to see some more speed and some better OBP guys in the order next year, but I do like the nucleus of this club.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    I like the team. they lead all majors in HR and are second in total bases. their offense is good, but they would need some more pitching.

However they play in the AL east what makes it really hard. would they play in the AL west they would have IMO a good chance to do it.

Leave a comment:

• dominik
    replied
    I like the team. they lead all majors in HR and are second in total bases. their offense is good, but they would need some more pitching.

However they play in the AL east what makes it really hard. would they play in the AL west they would have IMO a good chance to do it.

Leave a comment:

• cooperstownersincanada
    replied
    Fred Lewis is just making too many mental errors both in the field and on the bases to warrant full-time playing time. I'm hoping that he is either a reserve with the Jays next year or they cut him loose. In my opinion, Snider should be playing over Lewis.

Leave a comment:

replied
    If the Jays plan on keeping Lewis, Snider, Wells and Bautista, that means Lind will have to play 1B, which also means we won't be signing any power hitting 1B/DH. The only option is to get rid of Encarnacion and move Bautista to 3B, which opens up one spot for a HR hitter. I think Pena would be a terrible signing. the guy is barely hitting .200 for crying out loud. I'd rather have a power hitter who can hit for a decent AVG.

Leave a comment:

• cooperstownersincanada
    replied
    The Jays aren't far away from a playoff spot. They are six games over .500 with two of their cornerstones - Lind and Hill - having terrible (albeit they are playing better lately) seasons. The Jays would likely be ahead of the Red Sox if those two had seasons like last year. I wish the Jays had kept Wallace to replace Overbay. I think Snider needs to hit in the middle of the order regularly. I don't think, however, they need to sign any big free agents. They're going to be good next year, serious contenders, I believe, in 2012.

P.S. Crawford will be rich and in pinstripes next year.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X