Report: Overbay clears waivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Overbay clears waivers

Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Lyle Overbay has cleared waivers and could be on the move according to an online report. Overbay was not in the starting lineup Thursday vs. the Red Sox as Adam Lind was scheduled to play first base.

Foxsports.com reported Thursday that a major league source confirmed the 33-year-old wasn't claimed by any teams. The report states that he would be a perfect fit in Tampa Bay where the Rays are hitting a just .215 in their last 19 games.

The soon-to-be free agent is owed roughly $2 million for the rest of the season.

The Red Sox have also been a rumoured destination for Overbay, but are currently looking at former Jay Carlos Delgado.

Overbay is currently hitting .250 with 13 HR and 45 RBI, but has been hitting .285 since June 1st.
    Since we can now deal him anywhere and we seem to always be willing to eat salary to get a better return (so the $2 million probably won't be an issue), do you see him getting traded? If so, where?

Outside of Tampa (who should get Pena back soon), I want to throw in the Angels. Yeah Mike Napoli is there and offensively he's just as good an offensive weapon as Overbay, but defensively Overbay trumps him. That and Overbay's contract finishes this season, which is when the Angels should get back Morales.

Eh, I don't believe Overbay should go because unless we get another great first baseman, it wouldn't help putting lind and bautista playing often as 1st base.

That being said, if he does go, I would want to see him in tampa because Overbay would be great there and Tampa might offer someone good.

All in all, I want him to stay
    General baseball forum
    Visit my baseball blog

Comment

Since this is the last year of his contract, he could possibly come back this off-season and we could keep Lind at DH.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
        Since this is the last year of his contract, he could possibly come back this off-season and we could keep Lind at DH.
        In a recent Fan 590 interview, Alex Anthopoulous (AA) was asked about Overbay and the chances of him returning next year and AA basically said in a polite, non-specific way that there is very, very little chance of this happening. In terms of trading Overbay, the Jays would have to get something better than the compensation pick(s) that they will get if he signs elsewhere as a free agent in the off-season.
        Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Is Overbay actually ranked? I didn't think he could even make Type B status for us to get a pick back.

Comment

We might as well release Overbay. He can't hit worth a damn, he has no future with the Jays and he is eating up precious playing time that one of the younger guys could use.
            http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

I don't really think Overbay would get the Blue Jays much of a return - most teams look for depth or a power bat off of the bench at this juncture, and I don't think Overbay really fits that mold. He's a fine defensive first baseman, but he doesn't offer much else than that...

Comment

At this point unless someone gets hurt we should just park him on the bench and get a draft pick.

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                  Is Overbay actually ranked? I didn't think he could even make Type B status for us to get a pick back.
                  That's a good question. I was thinking that after I wrote my initial response.
                  Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X