Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of my opinions about the Toronto Blue Jays ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Some of my opinions about the Toronto Blue Jays ...

    Thought I would share my most recent blog post with you. In it, I discuss Cito, Brandon Morrow and J.P. Arencibia.

    Here is the link: http://is.gd/ep8e1
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

  • #2
    It's interesting you mentioned J.P. because in his debut game, he was incredible. Who can name another guy in his MLB debut that had 4 hits, that were 2 homeruns, a double and a single? Then after that, he sunk into overconfidence. He was just barely over 200 the last few days, so I'm not surprised he was sent back to AAA.

    With Morrow, I think he was going to be benched regardless of his 1 hitter. Brad Mills, mark rzhepchinski and other young starters need to be starting. Eventually, he was going to get benched for someone new. :supe: But after that win, he is slumping down a bit again, exactly what I knew was going to happen.

    Now Cito, very interested on him, I think squeezed every bit of potential out of these jays and honestly if it was another manager, they wouldn't be having a good season. At this rate, the jays should have a significantly better record then last year. Eventually by 2011-2012, I can say with confidence that the Jays have a chance to make the playoffs, I don't know about winning it and of course if Cito will still be managing for a couple more years.

    In other news, I see Marcum and Romero are coming around big time and are pitching great now. That's still good news for me
    General baseball forum
    Visit my baseball blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Roy Halladay View Post
      It's interesting you mentioned J.P. because in his debut game, he was incredible. Who can name another guy in his MLB debut that had 4 hits, that were 2 homeruns, a double and a single? Then after that, he sunk into overconfidence. He was just barely over 200 the last few days, so I'm not surprised he was sent back to AAA.
      I think regardless of how JP did, he was being sent down when Buck was ready to come off. Molina isn't going anywhere and you're not going to keep an all-star looking to keep his Type-B status on the DL longer than he needs it. JP will be back in September though, no biggie.

      In terms of fantasy teams, I like to keep 1 bench slot for position players. Either to stash away a struggling player or let an unproven rookie show some consistency before using him full-time. I didn't pick up JP and hold onto him, but over the course of the year, I'd done it with both Stanton and Posey, inserting them when they were hot and sustaining their level of production.

      Originally posted by Roy Halladay View Post
      Now Cito, very interested on him, I think squeezed every bit of potential out of these jays and honestly if it was another manager, they wouldn't be having a good season. At this rate, the jays should have a significantly better record then last year. Eventually by 2011-2012, I can say with confidence that the Jays have a chance to make the playoffs, I don't know about winning it and of course if Cito will still be managing for a couple more years.
      Cito has said that he won't manage past this year and already has an agreement to move into an advising role in the front office once the season ends. Manager of the year? Maybe a few votes, but I think you'll see Ron Washington win it.

      Also, the thing about Sportsnet One is that it doesn't just feature baseball. As a baseball fan myself, I'd sure love to have them introduce it after the season, but then it might be in the middle of other sports or events. I actually haven't even checked if I have Sportsnet One yet...most of the games I've caught recently were all on the radio.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for your opinions guys. I always enjoy hearing the thoughts of knowledgeable Jays fans.
        Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Well JP still has a long way to go. He really needs to control his emotions and not being over confident. I still think he'll make a great mlb player.

          Sad to see Cito go. Three things I like about him is that he understands players and their strengths and weaknesses. He puts the players exactly how they should be in the line up. He doesn't mess with that. 2nd, he can deeply analyse pitch by pitch what the pitcher throws and he'll tell u which pitches to go for and which to lay off. Lastly, he defends his players. Last night vs Yankees, Yunel Escobar said something to the ump, which the ump did not know what he said, and Cito exploded on him. That's also why players like him
          General baseball forum
          Visit my baseball blog

          Comment


          • #6
            Some more of my opinions about the Blue Jays in my weekly "But What Do I Know?" post:

            http://is.gd/eCZIx
            Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

            Comment


            • #7
              It's nice to see Matty Stairs top the pinch-hit home runs list. I don't know how many more years he has left in him as his performance has been pretty poor the last 2 years (even if he's just coming off the bench). I hope he'll go into coaching after he retires though.

              And it actually is the first time a Bautista hit 40 home runs for the Jays. Tony's last name is actually Batista (without the "u").

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
                Thanks for your opinions guys. I always enjoy hearing the thoughts of knowledgeable Jays fans.
                Then you came to the wrong place.

                Seriously though, I haven't been around for a while. I missed this place.
                Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                  It's nice to see Matty Stairs top the pinch-hit home runs list. I don't know how many more years he has left in him as his performance has been pretty poor the last 2 years (even if he's just coming off the bench). I hope he'll go into coaching after he retires though.

                  And it actually is the first time a Bautista hit 40 home runs for the Jays. Tony's last name is actually Batista (without the "u").
                  Yes, I later caught the error about Batista vs Bautista. Still a fond memory of the man with the strange batting stance.
                  Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                    It's nice to see Matty Stairs top the pinch-hit home runs list. I don't know how many more years he has left in him as his performance has been pretty poor the last 2 years (even if he's just coming off the bench). I hope he'll go into coaching after he retires though.

                    And it actually is the first time a Bautista hit 40 home runs for the Jays. Tony's last name is actually Batista (without the "u").
                    Just added a piece on my blog (in signature below) about Stairs pinch-hit homers. Hope you enjoy!
                    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
                      Yes, I later caught the error about Batista vs Bautista. Still a fond memory of the man with the strange batting stance.
                      I loved that batting stance and I seriously used it as a kid playing softball. I wasn't a great hitter, but when the coaches changed my batting stance the year after I used the Batista stance, I sucked it up even more. I felt more comfortable using the Batista stance, but they were trying to teach the mechanics of hitting and it resulted in me having to change my stance to something I wasn't as comfortable with.

                      Random.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Some more of my weekly opinions about the Blue Jays here: http://is.gd/ePghL
                        Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I still like Minister of Defence for Johnny Mac's nickname

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by babaganoosh View Post
                            I still like Minister of Defence for Johnny Mac's nickname
                            Yes, that too is an excellent nickname!
                            Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Another edition of my rants about the Blue Jays is up on my blog: http://is.gd/fpn3Z
                              Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X