Whats with attendance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with attendance?

1,625,555 for the year - worst since 1982. Whats up with this. I know we aren't a title contender but damn it was a winning season in which we lead the majors in HRs so it was baseball worth watching. What makes the number even more distressing is that 3 of the games were playing in Philly to sold out crowds. Take those out and we are below 20K per game.

One of the big differences is Paul Beeston insisted that the attendance count reported was the actual number of paid tickets. In recent years, the Jays have given away thousands of tickets to bump their attendance. This year, anyone who got into the park for free wasn't counted in the numbers. But I would like to see more people at the games, no question.
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

and a price increase on most tickets despite cutting Halladay. They also took away the best value sections in the place, 113B and 136?B if I remember correctly. I'm not sure what they expected would happen, but I'm glad they got hammered.
      www.toppsarchives.com -- baseball checklists and front and back scans for the past 50 years.
      ...and!

Comment

Paul Beeston loves the Jays, but he is a business man first. He is trying to establish a "value" for seats at games. In previous years, fans could buy a $10 ticket and move down into the field level seats. That's not really fair for the person who paid $50 sitting next to them. This year they weren't allowing people to sit in the field level seats unless they had field level tickets. I can understand what the Jays are doing from a business standpoint. They did botch a few things this year (see Rogers Sportsnet One fiasco), but I don't think that ticket pricing was one of them.
        Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Two dollar Tuesdays were also taken away, no? That always got a descent enough crowd into SkyDome.

Comment

Originally posted by bluejaysfan View Post
            Two dollar Tuesdays were also taken away, no? That always got a descent enough crowd into SkyDome.
            This gets back to what I was saying about Beeston establishing a "value" for Jays tickets. He wants to get away from $2 promotions. He wants the Jays to be considered prime entertainment again. Not saying he's right or wrong, I'm just offering my opinion on where he appears to be coming from.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X