Goodbye Cito

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Cito

Sorry I haven't been active here as of late, I have started university and the workload has really prevented my presence around these boards and you Jay fans.

Anyways, I just wanted to express my well wishes to Cito Gaston after his ceremony last night. While often I had and still have disagree with some of his management style, the fact remains Cito helped bring two world titles to the Jays franchise and in my opinion, has had a huge part in the power emergence on the squad this season. Congratulations Cito for all your accomplishments and good luck in your future endeavors.

Also, big thumbs up to the Jays for the ceremony they put on for Cito. The video tribute was very nice and it was great to see Bud Selig, Dusty Baker, Hank Aaron, Bobby Cox and lots of former players wish Cito well in what was alot of genuine comments. Also, it was nice to see Joe Carter, Pet Hentgen, George Bell, and others make their way to the Rogers Centre to wish their former skipper off.

All and all Cito, it has been a great ride and thank you for all your contributions to the Jays organization.

It was a great ceremony no doubt. I've disagreed with a lot of Cito Gaston's managerial decisions over the years, but there's no question he's had a significant impact on a lot of players' lives. And nobody rocks a mustache better than Cito
    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Vastly Underrated

I think Cito has never gotten proper credit. His first year the team had the worst record in baseball the first 36 games, he took over and they had the best record the last 126 games. He won 2 world series. Everyone says those teams were stacked. Well what World Series winner isn't stacked. Joe Torre will get into the Hall and his Yankee teams were stacked. He was mediocre before he got to NY. Bobby Cox will get in and he had 3 hall of fame pitchers in his rotation. Cito had one Hall of Famer in his prime in his 2 titles (Alomar), his DHs for the 2 years were HOFers at the end of their careers (Winfield and Molitar) and one rental (Henderson) for 8 weeks where he didn't do much. Tony LaRussa will get in and he has 2 titles even though he had stacked and juiced up Oakland A's teams. Look at the impact in his second go around. He got 54 home runs out of Jose Baustista. We take out a Cy Young award winning pitcher and INCREASE our number of wins. Considering the Raptors will never win a title and Leafs are 43 years removed from their's, Cito deserves even more credit just for that.

Retire his number and/or rename the street in front of the Rogers Centre after the man. I am glad he got the chance to come back and right the wrongs from before.

Comment

One of the things that surprised me during the ceremony was that Pat Gillick was not involved in any way, whether it was a video message or in person. He and Cito worked together for all those years and helped build those WS teams together.

Comment

Originally posted by bluejaysfan View Post
          One of the things that surprised me during the ceremony was that Pat Gillick was not involved in any way, whether it was a video message or in person. He and Cito worked together for all those years and helped build those WS teams together.
          I noticed this too. But the story goes - whether this is true or not - that Gaston was always Beeston's guy. Gillick didn't want to hire Cito in 1989 and he wanted to fire Cito after the 1991 season. Apparently, the Jays asked Gillick to participate in the Cito tribute video, but he didn't respond with a yes or a no.
          Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
            I think Cito has never gotten proper credit. His first year the team had the worst record in baseball the first 36 games, he took over and they had the best record the last 126 games. He won 2 world series. Everyone says those teams were stacked. Well what World Series winner isn't stacked. Joe Torre will get into the Hall and his Yankee teams were stacked. He was mediocre before he got to NY. Bobby Cox will get in and he had 3 hall of fame pitchers in his rotation. Cito had one Hall of Famer in his prime in his 2 titles (Alomar), his DHs for the 2 years were HOFers at the end of their careers (Winfield and Molitar) and one rental (Henderson) for 8 weeks where he didn't do much. Tony LaRussa will get in and he has 2 titles even though he had stacked and juiced up Oakland A's teams. Look at the impact in his second go around. He got 54 home runs out of Jose Baustista. We take out a Cy Young award winning pitcher and INCREASE our number of wins. Considering the Raptors will never win a title and Leafs are 43 years removed from their's, Cito deserves even more credit just for that.

Retire his number and/or rename the street in front of the Rogers Centre after the man. I am glad he got the chance to come back and right the wrongs from before.
            I agree. Despite most of us questioning several of his decisions, he always finished the bottom line: winning games. He won two WS and just looking at this year, he was incredible. Remember at the start of the season, lots of people were picking Baltimore to finish ahead of the Jays and for them to lose close to 100 games. Instead, he got them to finish above .500. Cito always got the most out of his players. He definatley deserves to get honoured in some big way. He is and will be for a long time the one of the faces of the franchise.

Originally posted by cooperstownersincanada View Post
            I noticed this too. But the story goes - whether this is true or not - that Gaston was always Beeston's guy. Gillick didn't want to hire Cito in 1989 and he wanted to fire Cito after the 1991 season. Apparently, the Jays asked Gillick to participate in the Cito tribute video, but he didn't respond with a yes or a no.
            If this is the case, then I am really disappointed in Gillick. Whatever there personal differences are, you think Gillick could put that aside and at least help celebrate the guy that helped the team - and helped him - win two World Series.

Comment

Everyone: I am old enough to remember as a young boy when Cito was known as Clarence Gaston playing for the San Diego Padres...I feel that he was a decent manager and always will be remembered
              for the Blue Jays WS Championships in 1992 and 1993...I am thinking of Bruce Springsteen and the song "Glory Days" concerning those teams...and many fans including me will never forget the Joe Carter
              HR to win the 1993 WS...it does not get much better then that!

I do think that the Blue Jays should consider retiring his number as a personal tribute...

LI MIKE

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X