No announcement yet.

Towers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think gibbons made the right call... u get what u can outta towers... once he starts making mistakes... it doesn't take long for the whole thing to fall apart.. take him out before he self destructs

Comment

Big game for Josh tonight in Colorado. He better be on it in Denver. The thin air will make for a homer fest if he's not. I really hope he does well.

Comment

Towers has to go!! I don't know where or what the options are, but he cannot continue in the rotation at this level of performance. Perhaps a stint in the bullpen, but this has got to stop.

Comment

HELLO!! How much longer????

1 2/3 innings 6 hits 4 runs!!!

They have to pull him to salvage his career let alone the team's record.

Thank goodness the bullpen and the offense is helping out so far tonight!!

Comment

Send frasor back down too while were at it. What a freaking bum...
            Danks & Diamond

2 Future Aces, 1 Team....

Comment

Towers has been called up for the start in Atlanta on Tuesday evening.
              Lilly asked for an extra day because of a sore shoulder, so Towers gets the call. Burnett gets the call on Thursday.

Comment

The orginal I idea was to get a pylon, but the pylon they had recruited was busy making sure nobody stepped in a puddle of water. Josh Towers was the next best they could find on such short notice.

Honestly I'm hyped up about this match. Josh Towers is 1-8, Jorge Sosa is 1-9. This is like the battle for 2nd worst pitch in the league! How can it not be exciting!

Comment

Taubenheim will start on Saturday instead of Josh Towers

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=tor

TORONTO -- The empty locker just inside the door to Toronto's clubhouse provided the answer. The Blue Jays needed to make a roster move in order to activate reliever Pete Walker from the 15-day disabled list and there were questions as to who else would be involved in the transaction.

Until Tuesday morning, the vacant stall had been occupied by starter Josh Towers.

Towers, who continued to struggle in his second stint with Toronto, was outrighted to Triple-A Syracuse before Tuesday's game against the Nationals.

The right-hander was originally sent down on May 24, after falling to a 1-8 record and posting a 9.00 ERA over 10 starts. He didn't show much improvement in his two outings since rejoining the staff on June 20, going 0-1 with a 9.64 ERA in those starts.

"I let him know today," Toronto manager John Gibbons said. "I thought it was a step back the other day. The bottom line is we weren't winning the games he was starting."

In his most recent start, Towers gave up six runs on seven hits, including two home runs, in just four-plus innings on Sunday. He has given up 16 homers this year -- dating back to April 16 -- allowing at least one shot in his last 10 starts. His most recent outing also marked the sixth time in 12 starts that Towers has failed to pitch at least five innings.

"You've go to be able to give your team a chance to win," Blue Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg said. "The thing we were concerned with, mostly, was we were falling down so quickly in his games. In the first two, three innings we're down by two, three runs and you'd see a different offense."

"It's tough to put your team in press mode every fifth day," he added. "That's what we were finding with Josh. I'm not stabbing him in the back or anything like that. I love him to death and we worked hard together. We just weren't able to get him figured out."

Arnsberg said that he and Towers tried many different things to try and solve his early-inning issues. In his dozen outings, Towers had allowed 19 first-inning runs and 33 runs in the first three innings.

"I've run out of ideas -- I really have -- to help him get better," Arnsberg said. "We tried several things for his early woes in innings this year. We tried starting him earlier. We tried letting him face hitters before he went into the ballgame. He'd go through an inning's worth of hitters."

For now: Rookie right-hander Ty Taubenheim, who has made five starts for Toronto this season, will take Towers' spot in the rotation on Saturday. Gibbons noted that Taubenheim would only be making one start as the replacement, though.

"We like seeing Ty coming out of the bullpen," Gibbons said.

Taubenheim is 0-4 with a 5.09 ERA as a starter and 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA in four appearances as a reliever.

interleague 2006
                  Complete coverage >

Toronto isn't decided on who will fill in for Towers after Saturday, but Gibbons said that right-hander Dustin McGowan, who is currently in the rotation at Triple-A Syracuse, might be an option. Gibbons doesn't want to move left-handed reliever Scott Downs into that rotation spot.

"We're talking about possibly digging down into the Minors and bringing McGowan up," Gibbons said. "If we want a guy who is a true fifth starter, after Saturday we could do that. We want to leave our 'pen pretty much the way it is."

McGowan began the season as a reliever for Syracuse. After a stint with Toronto earlier this year, though, he was moved back into the starting rotation when he was optioned back down on May 11. Since then, he has gone 1-2 with a 4.08 ERA, 36 strikeouts and 17 walks in 35 1/3 innings as a starter for the SkyChiefs.

After the break: When Toronto initially signed A.J. Burnett to a five-year deal worth $55 million in the offseason, the plan was to slot him behind 2003 American League Cy Young winner Roy Halladay in the rotation. Burnett's two trips to the DL haven't allowed the Jays to line the staff up that way.

After the All-Star break, though, Toronto may finally get to align its rotation the way it originally planned. Gibbons said that Halladay, Burnett and left-hander Ted Lilly could be slotted into the top three spots, in that order, when the schedule resumes after the Midsummer Classic.

"If Burnett is pitching well, you'd like [Halladay and him] to go back-to-back," Gibbons said. "After the All-Star break, we'll look at whether we want to separate them with the lefty, or not. Ideally coming in, it was going to be Halladay, Burnett and Lilly anyway."

Quotable: "To go 1-9 is unacceptable and nobody would accept it in the big leagues. Josh knows that and nobody feels worse about it than him. Just go out and win us a couple games or even take no-decisions in those games." --Arnsberg, on Towers

Coming up: Lilly (7-7, 4.15 ERA) will take on Washington righty Shawn Hill (1-2, 4.26 ERA) when the Blue Jays host the Nationals in the second game of a three-game Interleague set at 7:07 p.m. ET on Wednesday at Rogers Centre.

Jordan Bastian is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Comment

It's not going to be long until he is designated for assignment or released. Poor pitching and poor location is not a good thing, and if he screws his next time Towers call up to the majors, in the words of White Sox announcer Hawk Harrelson: "He gone!" Well look at it, his offense allowed stats are awful (hits/runs/sb's/home runs allowed were high). The last thing the Jays need is Rob Deer to pitch for Toronto.

Comment

i think we need to face the fact that this guy, for whatever reason, just plain sucks. He's awful, and all his stats show that. The jays need another pitcher, but the market is thin and there are not many assets the jays can give away. I think all we can hope for is for God to intervene and grant him a 98mph splitter.
                      If a women had 2 choose between saving a baby and catching a fly ball, she would choose the baby without even considering if there are men on base.
                      Some people think baseball is a matter of life and death, but i can assure you, its much more important than that.

Comment

All I know is Josh is playing garbage as hell.

I never liked him, his stuff was never overpowering.

Comment

It is still possible to be successful in the big leagues without having really overpowering stuff. Towers can throw good junk pitches, but his problem this season has been with his control.
                          Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY
                            It is still possible to be successful in the big leagues without having really overpowering stuff.
                            this is something i have to explain over and over again to my friends. they believe that kyle farnsworth is a better pitcher than jamie moyer, it gets a little annoying after a while.

i think another reason they are hanging on to towers is even with his awful record, it seems like there is a starting pitching sortage this season and if a team sends a pitcher on the 15-day dl late in the season, they can get towers to fill a gap for 2-3 starts.

Comment

Towers will finish the year as a Jay then he will be bought out, simple as that. Unless he seriously turns things around. Which is, at this point, highly unlikely.
                              Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris from NY
                                It is still possible to be successful in the big leagues without having really overpowering stuff. Towers can throw good junk pitches, but his problem this season has been with his control.
                                Yeah that was the problem. He has been hanging his stuff definanty.

I wasn't trying to say that the overpowering pitchers was the nessesary key to success. What also comes to mind is break and control. That is what Maddux / Moyer has relied on their entire careers. They are good in inducing ground balls which would surely lead to an out in that case.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X