Jays Trade Shaun Marcum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays Trade Shaun Marcum

9:11pm: A second Canadian prospect could be headed to the Blue Jays, 20-year-old right-hander Nick Bucci, a source tells Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star.

8:48pm: Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter) hears that Lawrie is in the deal, though that is not confirmed. The Canadian turned in a strong 2010 in Double-A Huntsville, hitting .285/.346/.451 with eight homers in 135 games.

Baseball America ranked Brett Lawrie as Milwaukee's second-best prospect in their 2010 handbook. The 16th pick in the 2008 draft, Lawrie is said to be an aggressive hitter with good pop. While he was praised for his strong hands and quick bat, Baseball America writes that he needs to dedicate himself to defense if he wants to become a second baseman in the mold of Jeff Kent. Some scouts believe the soon-to-be 21-year-old is destined for an outfield corner.

8:40pm: The Brewers still haven't disclosed who will be going to Toronto in the trade but Haudricourt (via Twitter) notes that the Blue Jays covet Canadian-born second base prospect Brett Lawrie.

8:02pm: The Brewers have acquired Blue Jays pitcher Shaun Marcum, writes Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. Milwaukee will send pitching prospects to Toronto for the right-hander, Haudricourt hears.

Marcum, who turns 29 next Tuesday, turned in a 3.39 ERA with 7.3 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 across 25 starts in 2008 before undergoing Tommy John surgery. After missing the 2009 major league season, he came back strong in 2010, posting a 3.64 ERA with 7.6 K/0 and 2.0 BB/9.

The hurler is entering his second year of arbitration eligibility. Last year, the hurler avoided arbitration with the Blue Jays when he agreed to a one-year, $850K deal.
    More to come

9:34pm: The deal is Lawrie to the Brewers for Marcum, tweets Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun (via Twitter). It would appear that Lawrie is the only player heading from Milwaukee to Toronto in the swap.

9:27pm: Lawrie is in the deal, a source in Canada tells Haudricourt (via Twitter).
    Was kinda hoping for more than JUST Lawrie for another 2 years of control for Marcum, but I don't know much about Lawrie, so I'd not going to say we should've gotten more or less than Lawrie.

Comment

I suppose it's official now, so:

The Brewers have acquired Blue Jays pitcher Shaun Marcum in exchange for second base prospect Brett Lawrie, writes Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Marcum, who turns 29 next Tuesday, turned in a 3.39 ERA with 7.3 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 across 25 starts in 2008 before undergoing Tommy John surgery. After missing the 2009 major league season, he came back strong in 2010, posting a 3.64 ERA with 7.6 K/0 and 2.0 BB/9. The hurler is entering his second year of arbitration eligibility. Last year, the hurler avoided arbitration with the Blue Jays when he agreed to a one-year, $850K deal.

Lawrie, who is a native of Canada, turned in a strong 2010 in Double-A Huntsville, hitting .285/.346/.451 with eight homers in 135 games. Baseball America ranked Brett Lawrie as Milwaukee's second-best prospect in their 2010 handbook. The 16th pick in the 2008 draft, Lawrie is said to be an aggressive hitter with good pop. While he was praised for his strong hands and quick bat, Baseball America writes that he needs to dedicate himself to defense if he wants to become a second baseman in the mold of Jeff Kent. Some scouts believe the soon-to-be 21-year-old is destined for an outfield corner.

The two teams completed a deal earlier this week when Toronto acquired pitcher Carlos Villanueva for a player to be named later.

Comment

Is Lawrie is projected to start in Triple A next season. That doesnt seem like much for what the Brewers gained in Marcum.

I am all for building for the future but Marcum by no means was an expensive current option to keep at the top of the rotation. Hopefully this clears the way for the pusuit of a guy like Greinke.
        "I see no reason why a small-market team like the Twins or Expos can't continue to remain competitive, just because it lacks players," Selig said.

Comment

OLMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGMAPDFMASMDASDDSADASDASDASD

this sux
          General baseball forum
          Visit my baseball blog

Comment

Maybe AA is selling high, seeing as Marcum tossed nearly 200 innings last year...

But I have a feeling this might go down in the books as a bad trade. I really loved Marcum...
            WAMCO!

Comment

Good value trade for the type of player Lawrie should become. We're talking about a guy who compares favourably at the plate to Alomar. Defensively? I don't put a lot of stock into what they write about minor league defensive players, from what I know he's more than capable and very good at times.

Add to the fact that we could be nailing down Greinke and this makes a lot of sense.
              Last edited by Armster; 12-06-2010, 06:39 AM.

Comment

I thought Marcum was going to be in a Greinke trade, along with a few prospects. he was born in KC, so maybe the Royals fans wouldn't have been upset as much as they might have been with the loss of Greinke :S
                http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

I think KC would probably go for players that they can control longer since Marcum can leave in 2 years, the same as Grienke. I think if the Jays pull something with the Royals for Grienke, it'll have to include Drabek, and possibly someone like JPA or Snider. Unless we can ink Grienke to an extension, I don't think I'd want us to trade for Grienke.

Comment

I liked the deal until I saw the pictures of Lawrie on Deadspin I still like the deal. Remember Marcum has hardly proven durable over the course of his career. I think he has only pitched one complete game in his career and his "stuff" isn't particularly overpowering. I think he did a great job for Toronto last season, but I think nabbing another team's top prospect for him is a great deal by Anthopoulos.
                    Check out my Canadian baseball history blog called "Cooperstowners in Canada": http://www.kevinglew.wordpress.com

Comment

Lawrie looks like a clown, but oh well; I was a clown at 20 (Still am for that matter.) He also looks like a helluva ball player. I was a big fan of Marcum, but I think it's a good trade considering he's at the height of his trade value right now.
                      Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X