Burnett Update!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnett Update!!

TORONTO -- There has been one constant throughout A.J. Burnett's rehabilitation process -- the Blue Jays aren't sure exactly when the pitcher will make his next start. On Wendesday, though, there was a small development.
    Toronto manager John Gibbons revealed that Burnett would throw off a mound on Monday. The right-hander has been playing catch and participating in long-toss sessions off and on for nearly two weeks, but he has yet to pitch off a mound. Still, though, Gibbons still wasn't sure how the timetable for Burnett's return would pan out.

"We'll have a better idea when you start to see that -- no question," said Gibbons, referring to Burnett throwing off a mound. "But I don't know. I don't know how many times he has to throw on the side before we get him out on a couple rehab starts."

Burnett took a day off from throwing on Tuesday, but he threw from a distance of around 120 feet with Toronto pitching coach Brad Arnsberg prior to the Jays' game against the Rays on Wednesday. Burnett has been throwing on consecutive days and then resting on the third day for the last 12 days. Aside from long-toss, Burnett has also been taking part in side sessions to maintain his delivery.

Toronto inked Burnett to a five-year, $55 million contract this past offseason. During a Spring Training start, the pitcher suffered a right elbow injury, which turned out to be a case of strained scar tissue -- leftover from the elbow ligament replacement surgery he underwent in 2003. On April 21, when Burnett made his second start of the season, he re-injured the same elbow and sprained the ulnar collateral ligament in the joint.

He's been back on the 15-day disabled list since then. Wednesday marked the 483rd day that Burnett has been on the DL since March 17, 2000.

"We'll just treat it as if he's not here and we just made a big trade [when he returns]," Gibbons said.

Can't wait to see him back and earning that paycheck.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris from NY]Can't wait to see him back and earning that paycheck.[/QUOTE]
      Hope he will deserve it and it'll be worth it after all of this...
      Still, GO JAYS!
      Cristobal

Comment

Well there is not point in rushign him back into the rotation again. Let him get 100% healthy and first game back only pitch 5 innings if he lasts that long then go from there.
        Danks & Diamond

2 Future Aces, 1 Team....

Comment

JP says he will be throwing off the bullpen mound starting on Monday and targets about 3 more weeks before he is all the way back.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy31
            Well there is not point in rushign him back into the rotation again. Let him get 100% healthy and first game back only pitch 5 innings if he lasts that long then go from there.
            yep, you dont want to mess around with the elbows too, too much. i just had some elbow problems myself and listening to doctors and physio guys, you dont want to mess around with it a whole lot because you'll just reaggravate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy31
              I totally agree with Roy on this one. We have him for 5 years, one or two months more off is definitly worth the wait if he gets 100% healthy. I use to pitch alot a few years ago and had reoccuring shoulder pain and inflammation almost after every start. I decided to take a full month off to the displeasure of my coachs to purely focus on physio, and about a month later I was the best I have ever been. No pain and throwing harder then I ever could with more stamina.

Comment

i dont care if he comes back in september (i would like earlier) but we need this elbow to be 100% healty.

Comment

AJ makes a rehab start in Syracuse tonight. It was supposed to be in Florida but the threat of a hurricane and heavy rains caused them to go to the AAA club. June 22 in Atlanta is the target for his return, and they say he is right on track and looking real good. We sure could use him, so I hope all goes well.

Comment

Burnett pitched 5 innings in Syracuse this evening. No hits, no runs, 1 walk and 7 strikeouts. Looking good!!!:radio

Comment

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=tor

Burnett Dominant in Rehab Stint

A.J. Burnett tossed five hitless innings in his first rehab start for Syracuse as the SkyChiefs rolled to a 9-3 win over Columbus on Monday.

Burnett, making his first start in two months, is on Toronto's 60-day disabled list with a right elbow injury. He struck out seven, walked one and left the game after throwing 67 pitches.

The 29-year-old right-hander, who hadn't pitched since taking the mound for Dunedin on April 11, might be able to rejoin the Blue Jays for a June 22 start against Atlanta.

Jamie Vermilyea relieved Burnett and struck out five straight batters before Erubiel Durazo's two-out single in the seventh broke up the no-hitter.

Vermilyea went the rest of the way, allowing three runs -- two earned -- on four hits with eight strikeouts to notch is first save.

Syracuse (29-35) used a seven-run second inning to take control of the game. Chad Mottola led off the frame with his 10th homer of the season and Kevin Barker's three-run shot, his 11th, capped the inning.

John Hattig hit three doubles and scored three times, while Sergio Santos went 2-for-5 to extend his hitting steak to an International League-best 19 games.

Columbus (25-38) starter Kris Wilson (3-5) surrendered eight runs on eight hits in just two innings.

Marc Jimenez is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Comment

thats good news, i sure hope he is healty when he comes back

Comment

A.J. Burnett gave up two hits over six innings on Saturday night as the New Hampshire Fisher Cats cruised to a 6-2 victory over the Portland Sea Dogs in the first game of a doubleheader.
                          Making the second appearance of his current rehab assignment, Burnett (1-0) allowed two runs -- one earned -- struck out nine and walked three. He could be available to start for Toronto on Thursday against the Atlanta Braves.

"I made it through health-wise. That's the most important thing," he said. "I felt really good today."

The 29-year-old right-hander was placed on the Major League disabled list last month, retroactive to April 22, due to a sprained ulnar collateral ligament and strained scar tissue in his pitching elbow. In his last rehab start with Triple-A Syracuse on Monday, Burnett tossed five no-hit innings and struck out seven.

"It's night and day how I feel now," he said after throwing 53 of 87 pitches for strikes. "I want to get back out there. I'm itching bad."

Jeremy West slammed a one-out solo shot in the second to knot the score before a sacrifice fly by Ron Davenport put New Hampshire ahead.

"I don't think it's landed yet, to be honest with you," Burnett said of West's fifth home run of the season. "I want a tape measure on that one. That might be a record."

Comment

Burnett is getting the start on Thursday against the Braves.

Comment

They say AJ is requesting a live chicken to sacrifice before the game. JP upped the idea and is bringing in a Bald Eagle.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X