Jays Sign Alfonzo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jays Sign Alfonzo

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed infielder EDGARDO ALFONZO to a Minor League contract.
    ALFONZO, 32, hit .277 last season for the San Francisco Giants (National League), with two home runs, and 43 RBI in 109 games. This season, the 5-11, 210 lb. native of Soapire Estado Miranda, Venezuela, posted a .100 batting average, for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, in limited duty, (18 games, 50 at-bats) before being released May 20, 2006.

ALFONZO has a career batting average of .285 with 281 doubles, 146 home runs and 740 RBI. He has appeared in 28 career post-season games, posting a .299 (35-117) batting average with 12 doubles, one triple, four home runs and 22 RBI. Alfonzo spent eight seasons (1995-2002) with the New York Mets, before signing as a free agent with the San Francisco Giants prior to the 2003 season. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim acquired his rights in exchange for Steve Finley, on December 21, 2005. Notable achievements include a 1999 Silver Slugger Award, and a 2000 NL All-Star appearance.

ALFONZO will report to the New Hampshire Fisher Cats of the Eastern League (AA) on Friday, May 26th.

Not a bad pickup at the right price.
    Like Maple Syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Comment

I dont care if he bats 5-50 with us as long as he doesnt make alot of errors like adams, His bat will come around.
      Danks & Diamond

2 Future Aces, 1 Team....

Comment

Which is funny, because there's some guys who could care less about his glove, as long as he is decent at the plate. Not that I think either train of thought is wrong. I just won't have any big expectations for the guy. Having said that he should do a decent job if and when he is called upon to perform.

Comment

I'm guessing he'll play 3rd? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
          2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

The Jays have Troy Glaus at third with Shea Hillebrand backing him. I doubt he will play third. I would guess 2nd with Hill going to shortstop if they even use him. I'm hoping that Adams gets a little shock treatment by going to Syracuse and comes back a little differntly than he left.

Comment

i thought he was still in anaheim? what happened there?

anyways, nice pickup, hopefully he can be a utility infielder for us, i believe he can play all four infield positions, and be a good back-up if there is room for him. maybe he can stay and we can get rid of hinske and that contract somehow.

Comment

I'm assuming they stuck him on waivers but I'm not certain.

Comment

yes they put him on waivers.

Comment

thats how bad adams is

thats how horrible r adams is, we would rather have alfonso playing second then to have adams on the bench.

Comment

Well Alfonso isnt too bad but dont expect him to come up with clutch hits or anything of that sort.
                      Danks & Diamond

2 Future Aces, 1 Team....

Comment

What good is having Adams on the bench? Having him play down in Syracuse is what is going to benefit, not having him rot on the bench. And if John McDonald hadn't been injured, Alfonso wouldn't have even been signed, and if he was he's be in Figueroa's spot and Figueroa wouldn't be in the majors.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky151
                          thats how horrible r adams is, we would rather have alfonso playing second then to have adams on the bench.
                          alfonzo is just filling in until adams can come back up. i have no question in my mind that adams will be better then ever after coming back from syracuse.

adams line from syracuse so far:
                          14-46, 8 of those hit for extra bases, 2 RBI's, 4 Walks, .304 average, .340 onbase. it seems like he is playing second base down there for sure (made 4 errors in 11 games, still too many but he is learning a new position. he'll always be an aduquete fielder but atleast at second, he wont committ any throw errors and he wont have to cover as much ground.

Comment

okay im happy now

i am happy that you admitted finally that r adams is not worthy of playing ss in the majors.

Comment

Originally posted by ricky151
                              i am happy that you admitted finally that r adams is not worthy of playing ss in the majors.
                              i never said that he isn't good enough for the majors. you keep misquoting me. what do you have against adams anyways?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X