Toronto Blue Jays Mt. Rushmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Blue Jays Mt. Rushmore

I know it's in USA, but can't Canadiens teams have one. Who do you guys think deserve to be in it? I've got:

Dave Stieb
    Joe Carter
    Carlos Delgado
    Roy Halladay

Any thoughts?
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Maybe Pat Gillick, I think he was the GM/architect. Really whoever took them from inception or early 80s to mid 90s should be there. Delgado and Halladay are probably the most prolific and best career value players outside of Stieb. Carter was certainly good and had one shining moment, but otherwise is not better than say George Bell, Olerud, Alomar, Tony Fernandez. Jose Bautista to name a few.

Cool idea and thread.

Comment

The thing is that Carter's 1993 WS homerun off Williams is the Blue Jays signature moment.
      "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
      George Brett

Comment

Halladay is of course an all-time great pitcher who did amazing things while the team was the (rather unfunny) joke of the AL East. However, he's still active. Great man though he was, FDR wasn't carved into Mt. Rushmore. So, perhaps carrying the metaphor a little further than strictly necessary, here's my Mt. Jaysmore:

The Washington: The first. The guy who took a scrappy (gritty?) bunch of colonists and built a nation. Look at us, we've arrived. This moment for the Jays would be the 1985 season (considering the 100-loss and hovering-around-.500 years as our "British colony" era), making Dave Stieb the easy choice here. (How does a guy with 171 ERA+ in 250 IP on a first-place team end up with a 14-13 record? Mr. Hard Luck, even before all the 8 2/3-inning no-hitters.) Runners-up: Jesse Barfield, Jimmy Key.

The Jefferson: The builder (Louisiana Purchase), also universally respected thinker (wrote Declaration of Independence). Considering the '85-'90 period as our "expansion" (progression from flukey 99-win season to perennial contender), this could only be Fred McGriff. Bell may have been our MVP, but he had a well-deserved reputation as a whiny prima donna. McGriff was even better with the bat, and a class act, role model kind of guy to boot. He only spent four years here, but they were four incredible years (OPS+ over 150). Runner-up: Only Tom Henke comes close, and only towards the '91 end.

The Lincoln: Held the country together in a very tough, important time. Not having a civil war to speak of, I consider the two World Series wins to be the "trying times" for the Jays. This is where I imagine most people would put Carter, though to be honest he was a one-trick pony (though he pulled out that one trick at a very opportune and memorable time). My choice here is Roberto Alomar. He's the only man in the Hall of Fame with a pigeon on his hat for a lot of good reasons, and despite what modern metrics have to say was an exciting player to watch on the field as well as at the plate (personally, I think TZ is a unnecessarily harsh on guys who played on turf). If you need a flashbulb moment, the HR off Eckersley to cap a six-run comeback in the 1992 ALCS is as good as any. Runners-up: Pat Borders (not kidding), Joe Carter, Duane Ward.

The Roosevelt: Brought the US kicking and screaming into the 20th century. Here I put the Jays' career leader in pretty much every offensive category, Carlos Delgado. He's unlikely to reach Cooperstown due to the time he played (his accomplishments being lost in a flood of offensive feats), but from 1998-2003 he was an incredible player on a terrible team. Truly the Crime Dog of the new millennium (though we had him for quite a bit longer; 145 OPS+ in nine full years with the team). Runners-up: This one is not even close. I honestly can't think of anyone.

Anyway. Those are my guys.

Comment

I'm guessing we wont be putting J.P. Ricciardi on there.

Stieb- I think of as the best pitcher (yeah I give him a slight nod over Halladay). Alomar- the best position player.

Gillick-for best non-player involved, and Joe Carter-as the rep for greatest moment.

Comment

Hi there. I'm a newbie. But any discussion of the short list for All-time Jays greats has to include Tony Fernandez. Fernandez is, IMO, the most underrated player I've ever seen. He should be in the Hall of Fame. Compare his numbers to Ozzie Smith and Fernandez' are better. And Fernandez was every bit Ozzie's equal defensively, but no one saw him play because he was lost on Canadian TV.

Edit: Oh, and sorry if I was supposed to introduce myself somewhere around here. Cheers.
            Last edited by Lemmy; 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM.

Comment

1. Dave Stieb
              2. Roy Halladay
              3. Jose Bautista
              4. Tony Fernandez
              My dream ballpark dimensions
              LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
              RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
              Location....San Diego

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X