2B: Roberto Alomar, Aaron Hill
    3B: Josh Donaldson, Kelly Gruber
    SS: Tony Fernandez, Marco Scutaro
    LF: Jose Bautista
    CF: Vernon Wells, Lloyd Moseby, Devon White
    RF: Jesse Barfield
    SP: Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Key, Pat Hentgen, Jim Clancy
    RP: Tom Henke, Mark Eichhorn, Paul Quantrill, Duane Ward, Scott Downs

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Blue Jays players were together in their Blue Jays prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would be among the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be easily the strongest as would the bench. Spectacular defensive infield!! All that said 100 wins would be probable.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 10-27-2016, 07:18 PM.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

I'd have Damaso Garcia ahead of Aaron Hill.

Seeing the name Scott Downs makes me cringe, still. But having looked at his numbers on baseball-reference, he wasn't all that bad during his time in Toronto. It may be nothing more than he played during a time when this team inspired absolutely no confidence at any time. Except Roy Halladay of course.

Comment

Originally posted by augustabound View Post
      I'd have Damaso Garcia ahead of Aaron Hill.

Seeing the name Scott Downs makes me cringe, still. But having looked at his numbers on baseball-reference, he wasn't all that bad during his time in Toronto. It may be nothing more than he played during a time when this team inspired absolutely no confidence at any time. Except Roy Halladay of course.
      Damaso Garcia: 902 games, 453 runs, 1028 hits, 172 doubles, 26 triples, 32 home runs, 296 RBI, 194 steals, 110 walks, 284 strikeouts, 1348 total bases, .288 AVG, .312 OBP, .377 SLG, 86 OPS+, 8.5 WAR

Aaron Hill: 875 games, 436 runs, 881 hits, 188 doubles, 9 triples, 96 home runs, 409 RBI, 39 steals, 239 walks, 476 strikeouts, 1375 total bases, .265 AVG, .318 OBP, .413 SLG, 92 OPS+, 17.2 WAR

Close be certainly a small edge for Aaron Hill don't you think?
      Last edited by Sockeye; 10-28-2016, 11:58 PM.
      Location....San Diego

Comment

Holy WAR for Hill.

In my defense, WAR wasn't invented in Garcia's day.

Comment

Why isn't George Bell on this list?

Comment

Great list, Sockeye... Here are a few suggestions:

- Scratch Clancy for Clemens. Rocket won 2 Cy Youngs in 2 years as a Jay. Can't leave him off.
            - John Olerud for the second spot at first base, move Edwin to a new DH slot since he played most of his games there for the Jays.
            - I'd scratch Scutaro because he played only 2 seasons in Toronto, even if he was excellent. (He did not dominate at his position like Clemens did.)
            - Put George Bell in LF, move Bautista as first RF and Barfield as second RF.
            - Cito Gaston as manager!!

The rest is perfect IMHO...
            Last edited by Chicoutimi CP; 02-04-2018, 12:24 AM.
            « But what's puzzlin' you is the nature of my game... »

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
              C: Ernie Whitt, Gregg Zaun
              1B: Carlos Delgado, Edwin Encarnacion
              2B: Roberto Alomar, Aaron Hill
              3B: Josh Donaldson, Kelly Gruber
              SS: Tony Fernandez, Marco Scutaro
              LF: Jose Bautista
              CF: Vernon Wells, Lloyd Moseby, Devon White
              RF: Jesse Barfield
              SP: Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Key, Pat Hentgen, Jim Clancy
              RP: Tom Henke, Mark Eichhorn, Paul Quantrill, Duane Ward, Scott Downs

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Blue Jays players were together in their Blue Jays prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would be among the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be easily the strongest as would the bench. Spectacular defensive infield!! All that said 100 wins would be probable.
              This is an almost perfect roster. I would bounce Gruber, Scutaro and Clancy for Fred McGriff, Roger Clemens and George Bell. Bell starts in LF, Joey Bats in RF, Eddie E at DH. (I also start White, not Wells, in center.) Everything else is the same.

Pitted against other all-time teams, this could arguably be the best of any expansion franchise. It's easily the best of any of the six post-1969 expansion franchises. (Can you believe it's been 20 years now for the Rays and Dbacks?)

The only change to this in the next couple years would (presumably) be replacing Downs with Roberto Osuna.

Great job, Sockeye.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post

This is an almost perfect roster. I would bounce Gruber, Scutaro and Clancy for Fred McGriff, Roger Clemens and George Bell. Bell starts in LF, Joey Bats in RF, Eddie E at DH. (I also start White, not Wells, in center.) Everything else is the same.

Pitted against other all-time teams, this could arguably be the best of any expansion franchise. It's easily the best of any of the six post-1969 expansion franchises. (Can you believe it's been 20 years now for the Rays and Dbacks?)

The only change to this in the next couple years would (presumably) be replacing Downs with Roberto Osuna.

Great job, Sockeye.
                Thank you Chadwick. Interesting ideas. No question that Clemens was a better pitcher with the Blue Jays than was Clancy. His tenure with the Jays was so short that I hesitate putting him on an all time roster. Would love to have McGriff and Bell on the team. Both deserve to be on it. Wanted to make the roster as realistic as possible though. If I remove Scutaro and Gruber (best 3B in Jays history until 4 years ago) and Donaldson or Fernandez go down with an injury then who plays SS or 3B?
                Location....San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
                  Why isn't George Bell on this list?
                  I was wondering about that too. Bell has been one of my favourite players.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X