Inside The Park Grand Slams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPWCPA
    Fifty seven years ago yesterday, when Pete Milne got his inside the park grand slam to help beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 11-8, it was as a pinch hitter. Also, it occurred during his rookie year. The freakiest thing is he never hit another home run in his career.
    thats almost as weird as it gets

Comment

Considering there have only been 34 of them since I was born, and I've seen two of them live and in person, I feel pretty lucky (CedeƱo off Osteen/Dodgers in 1971 and Womack off Wagner/Houston in 1999, both times in the venerable old Astrodome).
      Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
      Astros Daily

Comment

Stottlemyre and Bouton

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Stottlemyre GS is the one Bouton refers to in Ball Four. He said a reporter asked him what he was thinking while Mel was rounding the bases. He said, "I hoped he would fall down because now the fans will expect all of us to do that."(My paraphrase...) He got a lot of flack from the press. Bouton said he thought it was a stupid question and just gave a stupid answer.

Comment

I was at a game at The Vet in 74, when Lou Brock hit an inside the park grand slam on an error. He hit a sharp single to center field and it went through Downtown Ollie Brown's legs. It rolled all the way to the wall, and he circled the bases standing up.

Comment

I could have sworn that Luis Soho hit one for the Mariners against the Angels in the one-game playoff that decided the division champion and playoff team that year.

Comment

Soho In-The-Park GS

flash143817 , you're absolutly right. Although there were a few errors on behalf of the Angels so it wasn't counted as a homer (a double I think...).
              As a huge Seattle fan I was watching it on TV and because it was quite a pivotal game I was on my feet for that one!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy15
                i was very surprised to find the list was so long. ive just got one question, were these legitamate in-the-park-homeruns with no errors or was definsive folleys? either way it still requires blinding speed i was just curious
                These are legitimate home runs. If an error was involved it wouldn't have been scored a home run. By looking at some of the names on the list, blinding speed is not a requirement. Just about all inside the park home runs in the last 80 years can be attributed to two methods. 1) Outfielders collide while going after the ball and can't get up and 2) outfielder runs in and tries a shoe string catch and the ball skips past him. Of course there are other ways to get an ISPHR but the majority of them fall under these two categories.

Clemente's ISPGS was a walk off in the bottom of the 9th to help the Pirates beat the Cubs 9 to 8. Actually I guess it should be called a "run off".

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer97
                  I could be wrong, but my understanding of a "little league HR" is rounding all the bases because the defense just kept making error after error.. such as you might expect from the defense in a little league game.
                  I once saw an Indian bunt for a "home run". I don't remember who it was but I was watching a game on TV he had a sacrifice to someboy who overthrew the first basemen. The first basemen overthrew the second basemen and an outfielder overthrew the third basemen. That probably happens often enough but it was still fun to watch.

Comment

Personally, I believe that Inside the Park Grand Slams can be a very exciting twist to a ballgame. Scoring 4 runs the hard way is probably the hardest accheivement a batter can possibly pull off. If a baseball movie ended in such a way, I'd be willing to rate that movie four stars. I'm just saying.
                    My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

They don't call an inside the park home run the most exciting play in baseball for nothing. When it's a grand slam that makes it even better. It doesn't suprise me that Sean Casey didn't make the above list....although he's on the (I'd assume short) list of players to be put out 5-7-3.

Comment

WOW1

Lost of numbers
                        Didn't know there were even that many inside-the-parkers!
                        Let alone inside-the-park grand slams!
                        SIZEMORE NATION

Comment

I was at the game when Mel Stottlemyre hit his. Remember, he was a pitcher.

The scene at the plate was funny: the three other base runners were giving Mel instructions: one was signalling slide, one to stand up, and one to go back to third. Mel slid.

Comment

It's been a while since it's been done, looks like we're due.

I'll put down $20 on Curtis Granderson.
                            WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

i Remember Jose Reyes hitting a real inside the park home run with two men on base last season.(2006)

Comment

Jim Tabor is the only player to hit an ITPGS and a "normal"(outside the park) grand slam in the same game!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats11.shtml

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X