No announcement yet.

Lena Blackburne Mud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard it was from somewhere in Maryland... That was years ago however.

Comment

Where the Mud Is

According to a 2003 article, Mr. Bintliff says that the source has changed twice. From what I've been able to discover, originally it was somewhere along the Rancocas Creek in Burlington County, NJ, and I believe it still is located there. Recently in an episode of Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs," they showed how they harvest the mud, and although they did not show the exact location, it had to be along the Rancocas Creek since there is no other body of water nearby. The Rancocas does empty into the Delaware River which explains how it is sometimes described as being harvested from a Delaware River tributary.

Comment

The book 101 Baseball Places To See Before You Strike Out by Josh Pahigian covers "The Baseball Mud Site" as one of the 101 places. It's an interesting book to read through if you travel to different baseball oriented landmarks.

I'd like to get some of the mud just to have. There's quite a bit of history behind this "mysterious" substance.

Comment

Did any of you happen to catch this clip online about this amazing mud?
          http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/28/bas...mud/index.html

Comment

Wow, I first thought this was an elaborate hoax. Just wow...

Comment

Blackburne also managed the White Sox and got beat up by Art "The Great" Shires at least twice over playing time.
              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by SportsLore View Post
                According to a 2003 article, Mr. Bintliff says that the source has changed twice. From what I've been able to discover, originally it was somewhere along the Rancocas Creek in Burlington County, NJ, and I believe it still is located there. Recently in an episode of Discovery Channel's "Dirty Jobs," they showed how they harvest the mud, and although they did not show the exact location, it had to be along the Rancocas Creek since there is no other body of water nearby. The Rancocas does empty into the Delaware River which explains how it is sometimes described as being harvested from a Delaware River tributary.
                That "creek" appears to be over 1000 feet wide at some points...it seems to eventually empty into the Atlantic Puddle.

Comment

Originally posted by TULSA OILERS View Post
                  I'd like to get some of the mud just to have. There's quite a bit of history behind this "mysterious" substance.
                  You can order it directly from the company (link). Here's a picture of an "institutional size" can ($43.00) on display at the Rawlings booth during the recent All-Star Fanfest (as part of a demonstration of how baseballs are made). If you don't need an institution's worth, a "personal size" can is $24.00.

(Photo taken July 15, 2013. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    You can order it directly from the company (link). Here's a picture of an "institutional size" can ($43.00) on display at the Rawlings booth during the recent All-Star Fanfest (as part of a demonstration of how baseballs are made). If you don't need an institution's worth, a "personal size" can is $24.00.
                    [/SIZE]
                    Wow, I'm tempted to buy a little can, too...I could use it at my daughter's tournaments and tell the girls they're using softballs rubbed up with real MLB mud!
                    "EWWWWWWWWW..."

Comment

Wonderful story I had heard about the use of mud, but never knew the origin and complete story until now. Thanks for the history lesson.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X