Left-Handed Catchers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by longkim
    My 10 year old son has been pitching for a year now and has been enhancing his skills through private lessons. He joined a new team this year where the coach wants him to catch, against my sons wishes. How should my son handle this situation with his coach without making his coach think he's whining? My son gives 110% at any position he's assigned but his heart is at the pitcher's mound and 1st base. I don't want him to be stuck in a position where his future as a pitcher is dampered.
    Tell coach, that having your son play "emergency" catcher, when no one else can play that position for that day, you have no problem having your son play catcher. However, tell coach that you are concerned (actually insist)that he will not be playing that position in high school and would rather have him concentrate on those positions he would likely play when he reaches HS ball.

Another thing, having kids play both catcher and pitcher in the same game (especially when going from catcher to pitcher) is normally not wise due to the throwing motion and the fact that catcher is a rather tiring position and after catcher a few innings, his pitching would not be nearly as effective.
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
      The fastest way to the majors is a lefty, except at catcher where it would be an impediment as most HS coaches would not consider it and college coaches would never give a lefty catcher a scholarship nor would pro scouts consider signing or drafting any lefty catcher.

Pitcher, first base, outfield are the positions for leftys, and they are at a premium especially at pitcher. So I don't feel necessary to shed too many tears for leftys in baseball.
      She didn't specify whether her son was a lefty thrower or not. If he is, look for a new coach, or team
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

There needs to be more information given. Size of the child, skill level of the child, the skill level of the other players. It could simply be that the coach has better options at first and pitching and the only way to get your son in the game is through catching. It could be that your son has the "body" of a catcher and a good head for the game, and perhaps realizes that as he gets older it is more likely for him to be play as a catcher then as a pitcher or firstbasemen. Who knows perhaps your kid is the smallest on the team or the least skilled or athletic.

Or perhaps the coach doesn't know what he is doing. Again more info would be needed. It isn't as simple as what your child wishes or desires. It is a team game and simply because your child wishes to be a pitcher doesn't mean he has the skill and build to be a pitcher on this team or any team as of right now. But again more info would be needed.

Comment

He's 10 years old

Originally posted by longkim
          My 10 year old son has been pitching for a year now and has been enhancing his skills through private lessons. He joined a new team this year where the coach wants him to catch, against my sons wishes. How should my son handle this situation with his coach without making his coach think he's whining? My son gives 110% at any position he's assigned but his heart is at the pitcher's mound and 1st base. I don't want him to be stuck in a position where his future as a pitcher is dampered.
          He's only 10 years old! As a former Little League coach for the past 10 years, I have a question for you. Are we talking about the All-Star team or house league. I've used plenty of left handed catchers in the past 10 years in house league. I never used a lefty catcher in All-Star. I should point out that I'm a lefty (with a catchers mitt) and my son is a lefty pitcher. He caught twice and didn't like it.

Private pitching lessons at age 10, wow. Here is a bit of advice for you and your coach. If your son doesn't want to catch, then he shouldn't catch. Pass that on to his coach from me. I'm sure there are plenty of other players on the team who would love to give it a try. I use to tell them how cool they looked in the gear. As for your son's pitching asperations, private lessons cost a fortune so you must have deep pockets. My son took lessons along with six other pitchers when he was 13. If he's learned how to stay balanced and he's been show a proper delivery, you can stop spending your money for a few years. His next lesson is how to hold a runner (they don't lead off until the age of 13 in Little League). He should focus on pitching location and a good change of speed. Stay away from curve balls until he's at least 15.

My boy is now 16 and pitching for an elite league ball club that work towards university and college scholarships. A good lefties is worth his weight in gold.

Comment

I'm left-handed and i have caught a bit myself and i didnt find it difficult to throw the ball to both 2nd base and third base...which did make me wonder why that is the argument for there not being left-handed catchers. In saying that, i do understand why it may be concieved as being harder for a lefty...i just never had any difficulty.
            GOT GRADY??

The Outside Corner - A Modern Look at Professional Sports

www.outsidecorner.bravehost.com

Comment

Because it takes you at least a second longer to wheel around to throw to third compared to a right handed catcher.

Comment

What about lefties playing 2nd base

Thank you all for all of this information posted over the years about lefty catchers. My son is 10 and is left handed. He has caught before but it's been awhile, he generally plays 2nd and now one of his coaches tells me that he should not be on 2nd, that he should not catch and that he should only be in the outfield. My son is devastated he loves playing 2nd and would love to catch but the coaches won’t even give him an opportunity, it’s breaking his spirit. So I am going to have my son read this about lefty catchers and it will hopefully cheer him up. Does anyone have any information on lefties’ playing 2nd base?

Comment

Mike Squires, one of those lefty catchers, also played 13 games at third base (without error) one season.

Don Mattingly played three games at third in 1986 and is credited with one game at second in 1983 (since he had no fielding chances, I'm not sure if he actually played the position or if this might be a clerical technicality).

Going back, Hall of Famer Wee Willie Keeler played 19 games at second base, two at shortstop and 44 at third base during his career.

btw, let me say that I find it unfortunate that a coach of a team at the 10-year-old level is handling his players as though he's managing a team of pros.

Comment

Originally posted by zsbaseballmom
                    Thank you all for all of this information posted over the years about lefty catchers. My son is 10 and is left handed. He has caught before but it's been awhile, he generally plays 2nd and now one of his coaches tells me that he should not be on 2nd, that he should not catch and that he should only be in the outfield. My son is devastated he loves playing 2nd and would love to catch but the coaches won’t even give him an opportunity, it’s breaking his spirit. So I am going to have my son read this about lefty catchers and it will hopefully cheer him up. Does anyone have any information on lefties’ playing 2nd base?
                    George Marquez did. It was more frequent in the 19th century, like with Billy Hulen, Thomas Evers, Bill Greenwood, John Hiland, William McClellan, Ernest Mohler, and John Swandell
                    As far as lefty catchers, Jack Clements, John Donahue, Mike Hines, John Humphries, Fergie Malone, John Mullen, Dave Oldfield, Elmer Sutcliffe, Edward Tate, Sam Trott, and Art Twineham
                    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Bill James wrote (I edit for the sake of brevity), "The notion that a left-handed person could not be a major league catcher is absurd...on a ball tapped along the third base line, a left-handed catcher would have an advantage, since a right-hander has to reach across his body to grab the ball...The biggest reason there are no left-handed catchers is natural selection. Catchers need good throwing arms. If you have a [lefty kid with] a strong arm, what are you going to do with him?"

Interesting. I wonder if it has really played out that way in little leagues and pony leagues? (I read "lefty kid" as in, "pre-high school age" kid) It certainly sounds plausible, but as James said himself, it's the biggest reason, not the only one.
                      Last edited by Pete Rose Rounding Third; 03-20-2007, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Rose Rounding Third
                        Bill James wrote (I edit for the sake of brevity), "The notion that a left-handed person could not be a major league catcher is absurd...on a ball tapped along the third base line, a left-handed catcher would have an advantage, since a right-hander has to reach across his body to grab the ball...The biggest reason there are no left-handed catchers is natural selection. Catchers need good throwing arms. If you have a [lefty kid with] a strong arm, what are you going to do with him?"

Interesting. I wonder if it has really played out that way in little leagues and pony leagues? (I read "lefty kid" as in, "pre-high school age" kid) It certainly sounds plausible, but as James said himself, it's the biggest reason, not the only one.
                        Most batters being righties and difficulty in throwing down to 2B cleanly
                        Finding a catcher's mitt for a lefty

Comment

Originally posted by s.f.

btw, let me say that I find it unfortunate that a coach of a team at the 10-year-old level is handling his players as though he's managing a team of pros.
                          I don't at all. 10 years old is about 4th gradeish. Only 4 more years till high school, where no coach in his right mind will play a lefty in the infield, except at first.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            Most batters being righties and difficulty in throwing down to 2B cleanly
                            Finding a catcher's mitt for a lefty
                            Another negative, being a lefty throwing catcher. Up to a few years ago, not sure what it is now....... 61.89 percent of batters were RH and 25.79 percent were LH batters. The remainder, 6 percent BOTH and 6 percent UNKOWN.

To often, more times, more at bats with far more RH batters, a lefty catcher would have the batter on the same side as his thowing arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Rose Rounding Third

Is Bill being funny, even if he has a point so what. I think Bill is smarter than that. He gives one advantage, in one situation knowing that there are more negatives that lefty catchers face, many already entered by a number of posters. More reasons that far out number his one point, he has to know that.

More than natural selection at work here Bill. It's people that know the game, the guys on the field...... long shot Bill.... real long, before we see a few a steady LH catchers.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
                                Another negative, being a lefty throwing catcher. Up to a few years ago, not sure what it is now....... 61.89 percent of batters were RH and 25.79 percent were LH batters. The remainder, 6 percent BOTH and 6 percent UNKOWN.

To often, more times, more at bats with far more RH batters, a lefty catcher would have the batter on the same side as his thowing arm.
                                I don't really find it a problem when there's a lefty at bat (I'm a right-handed catcher). Is it really that big of a deal for some people?
                                WAMCO!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X