Almost Perfect Perfect Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aa3rt
    The winning pitcher was Lew Burdette. In the bottom half of the 13th, Felix Mantilla reached first on Don Hoak's throwing error. Eddie Matthews sacrificed Mantilla to second and Hank Aaron was intentionally walked. Joe Adcock hit a homer over the right-center field fence but was declared out for passing Aaron who had cut across the diamond without touching third base, between second and third. The hit was eventually ruled a double. Burdette won with a 12 hit performance.
    Absolutely right. I asked a frriend of mine, who was actually alive when that game happened, and he could not get the winning pitcher of that game. I guess Lew Burdette pitched a gem by scattering 12 hits for a SO win.

In today's game, this would deplete a bullpen from the 6th or 7th inning and use like 6 pitchers.
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

How about the Yankees/White Sox game on July 01, 1990? Andy Hawkins no hit the Sox, but lost 4 to zip. I was at the game, and the Sox scored on one or two errors, including a pop up to the outfield lost in the sun and wind. I was in the right field upper deck at Old Comiskey, and it was so bright you could scarcely follow the ball.

Comment

Bosman's

How about the only guy getting on against Bosman was his own error?

Guess he had his pitching shoes, and not his fielding shoes that day.

Comment

Originally posted by BustaJ2632
          I'm no longer one to be tooting Mike Mussina's horn, but to be fair he hasn't just come within 3 outs of 2 perfect games....he's come within 7 outs of 3 (maybe 8, at most). He had his game with the Yankees vs. the Red Sox where Carl Everett got the hit with 2 outs in the ninth. He had his game with the Orioles vs. Cleveland where Sandy Alomar, Jr. laced a single to left with 1 out in the ninth. And he had a game with the Orioles vs. Detroit where Frank Catalanatto broke up a perfect game with 2 (maybe 1) out in the eighth, I believe with a double.
          And he had what, 7 1/3 perfect innings in game one of the ALCS?

Mussina is a great pitcher, but never when he is thinking about what *could* happen. It took him five trys to get victory 200, and he JUST came through on the 5th one.

Maybe he will have one more chance: if he does, I won't be holding my breath.

P.S. Does anyone know where I could get postseason records since 1913 (i.e. each game of each year)?
          Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
          Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

Originally posted by Yankees
            P.S. Does anyone know where I could get postseason records since 1913 (i.e. each game of each year)?
            http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/PSYear.htm
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by webmaster
              September 2, 2001: Mike Mussina
              New York Yankees (at and versus the Boston Red Sox).
              Carl Everett hit a single.
              I remember this game... listened to the last few innings on the radio while driving up to LA after a devastating Dbacks loss at San Diego. Even though I've LONG hated the Yankees, I was actually rooting for Mussina to finish the perfecto.
              John

Stan Musial Pages
              CultureDose Media Reviews

Comment

What about the combined no-hitter by the Astros a year or 2 ago? I can't remember who started the game, but then Dotel, Lidge, and 3 other pitchers all came within one walk of a perfect game. Dotel even got 4 outs in one inning, I believe, so I don't know how that affects it. I'll see if I can dig up more info on that game.

I remember looking on my fantasy baseball page that day and the player of the game for New York was Soriano, who was 0-3 with a walk. I remember thinking, "How is he the player of the game?" and then I saw what the Astros had done to them. It was beautiful.

edit: Ah, here's the link. It wasn't even close to a perfect game, there were 3 walks and a wild pitch.
                Last edited by Sweet Lou; 03-14-2005, 07:23 PM.
                "He can get 10 hits in five at-bats." -Joe Torre, exasperated after seeing Ichiro hit a routine ground ball to shortstop and cross first with an infield single.
                sigpic

Comment

Babe Ruth and Harvey Haddix

Comment

Originally posted by webmaster
                    Each of the following pitchers was as close to perfection as one could probably get, without actually achieving it. In other words, each pitcher below had a perfect game through eight innings, two outs in the ninth inning, then it came to end:

Almost Perfect
                    April 20, 1990: Brian Holman
                    Seattle (versus the Oakland Athletics).
                    Ken Phelps hit a home run.
                    Hello everyone. My first post.

I have the final inning of this game on video, when ESPN cut in to broadcast the potential history-in-the-making.
                    Phelps, coming on as a PH, hit the first pitch he saw out to right field. Holman then struck out the next batter, Rickey Henderson, to end the game.

One game I remember going to as a kid - I was 8 or 9 - was in either 1974 or '75. Ken Holtzman was pitching against either Texas or Minnesota (?) and had a no-hitter with one out in the ninth. The next batter hit a long fly to centerfield and Billy North took two steps in before realizing his misjudgement, turned around and started running towards the wall but the ball flew over his head for a double. I can still hear the tremendous *goan* from the crowd. The closest I've ever been to witnessing a no-no.
                    Does anyone know/provide a link when this game took place?
                    Much appreciated.
                    Great website!

-A's fan-

Comment

Originally posted by Swingin'A's
                      One game I remember going to as a kid - I was 8 or 9 - was in either 1974 or '75. Ken Holtzman was pitching against either Texas or Minnesota (?) and had a no-hitter with one out in the ninth. The next batter hit a long fly to centerfield and Billy North took two steps in before realizing his misjudgement, turned around and started running towards the wall but the ball flew over his head for a double. I can still hear the tremendous *goan* from the crowd. The closest I've ever been to witnessing a no-no.
                      Does anyone know/provide a link when this game took place?
                      The game was against Detroit on June 8, 1975. Tom Veryzer hit a double with two outs in the 9th.

Here's the box score courtesy of retrosheet.org.

Comment

Originally posted by Utter Chaos
                        The game was against Detroit on June 8, 1975. Tom Veryzer hit a double with two outs in the 9th.

Here's the box score courtesy of retrosheet.org.
                        Dang, that was fast! Thanks a bunch!!

Two outs, that's right! Don't know why I wrote one out but I do indeed remember there being two outs. I had no idea what I was witnessing at the time but have come to appreciate it more and more everytime I go to a game.
                        Last edited by Swingin'A's; 03-25-2005, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moviegeekjan
                          I remember this game... listened to the last few innings on the radio while driving up to LA after a devastating Dbacks loss at San Diego. Even though I've LONG hated the Yankees, I was actually rooting for Mussina to finish the perfecto.
                          That was a big groan from me, I was listening to it on a radio, as well (guess who I was going for?)...

Moviegeekjan, great to see a Durham Bulls fan here, I've been going up from Chapel Hill for about two years now to see the games.
                          Me, at a Boston restaurant, to a waiter:
                          Are you sure the Manny Ramirez (name of burger) isn't a sloppy joe?

Comment

Originally posted by treant985
                            PERFECT GAMES BUT A HIT BATTER OR ERROR
                            6/10/1997 Kevin Brown, Florida vs. San Francisco, hit Marvin Benard in 8th
                            benard leaned into that one, as i recall.
                            i am a die-hard giants fan, but i really wanted brown to get what he deserved: a perfect game.
                            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by eastchicagosoxfan
                              How about the Yankees/White Sox game on July 01, 1990? Andy Hawkins no hit the Sox, but lost 4 to zip. I was at the game, and the Sox scored on one or two errors, including a pop up to the outfield lost in the sun and wind. I was in the right field upper deck at Old Comiskey, and it was so bright you could scarcely follow the ball.
                              That game no longer counts as a no-hitter because he only pitched 8 innings, as the White Sox didn't need to bat in the ninth. I believe current major league rules say that it is not an official no-hitter if it's not nine innings.
                              I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

The one near perfecto I remember is Tom Seaver's in 1969. The Mets were getting Amazing and on July 9 Seaver pitched into the 9th against the Cubbies. Got one out and then a complete nobody named Jimmy Qualls got a hit off him. About the only thing Qualls did in a very unremarkable career.

The weird thing is that Seaver and Qualls got together to sell stuff relating to that game:

http://www.grandstandsports.com/gsm/...y_Qualls_1.asp

Jeez, $300 bucks for a signed ball that has Jimmy Qualls' name on it???

KH14
                                “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X