A Baseball Writers' forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Baseball Writers' forum?

This is actually Brannu's idea... he suggested a thread, but perhaps something on a larger order could be created, wherein members could submit their writing, game stories, essays, poetry, etc for critique and fact-checking?

I have looked at a bunch of wroters' sites and message boards on the 'net and find legitimate, knowledgable sportswriting is a badly neglected discipline.

I know that Around the Horn is the BBA/BBF companion blog, but that's for finished pieces. A place where fellow-fans and fellow writers could help in the writing process -- not a bad idea. Would this be feasible? here at BBF?
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

This sounds like a good idea and the only problem I would have submitting works to such a thread revolves round copy write issues.

I'm sure some writers troll the INTERNET looking for content.

I'm not saying anything of mine is worthy, but I would hate to see something I worked so hard on end up in someone else's lap
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

How would it be structured? People would offer segments of writing style? Methods of fact-checking? Interviewing techniques for dealing with both athletes and front office personnel?

If this were to work, I'm sure that we'd have to have the professional writers amongst us remove their "Clark Kent" outfits and admit that they're being paid to write sports articles.

I could see things such as "Keys to getting published", etc, but someone has to be more knowledgeable than others here, or else it would be just everyone asking questions, but nobody offering viable answers, based upon professional experience.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Here's a writers' message board I look in on once in a while:

Writers BBS Forums

I was thinking of this as a model, in which prospective writers could post their writing or excerpts for critique, and ask questions about research, etc.
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

I think you would have to have some pretty harsh moderation of such a site or forum. Nobody would want to expose their work in progress to flamers.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
            I think you would have to have some pretty harsh moderation of such a site or forum. Nobody would want to expose their work in progress to flamers.
            I really think we would be better passing our stuff to each other for critique. I can take the criticism of other writers, but I can get a "little" defensive with people who are just there to tear my work down.
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

it would also be a good forum to ask about and share research techniques and sources

we are really responsible for our own fact checking but considering how much erroneous baseball data is out there passing as "facts" it's mind boggling

Comment

People, like Annie, could share their talent.
                I will start a poll on this.
                Cristobal

Comment

Gosh, I need to check my PM's a bit more often. I'm on the late bus.

Anyway. I just like to write. For me it is really about the expression and getting across ones sentiments to the reader. Personally, I'm not worried about copywriting and other individuals coming to tear me down. I always have the urge to express myself ... especially when it comes to something that I am completely passionate about - like baseball.

The idea originally came to me as I was reading other writers on mlb.com, thinking to myself - "I could have done a better job than that." But, I figured, I would just like to take a game that I watched and dissect it. However, I like the idea of poetry, prose, essays, stories, etc..

I love it, actually.

Comment

This is one I wrote back in 2002; this was for InSite and Texas Monthly

http://ficklefiction.com/california_dreamin.htm

California Dreamin’

October 2002 will go down as the best month in over a decade for two reasons. Those are that neither the Braves nor Yankees are playing in the World Series! We cherish the memory of cheering, being surrounded by bandwagon fans, watching the Braves lose. Last year was almost as good, if not better, finally getting to see the Yankees defeated. With the exception that last year even those bandwagon fans were starting to realize that money alone should not earn a World Series Championship. Plus we had the added burden of our freedom being under attack, with Baseball pulling us together.

Truth be told I had been rooting for Mark Grace since it became apparent the Cubs would not be in contention last year but seeing the Yankees compete felt like we were giving the Mid-East a black eye. So it almost excused the Yankees playing in October again. All of this lead to this year and finally after a decade people are thinking twice before jumping ship and cheering for the guy whose popularity is derived from his money and advertising.

The simple fact that all of the World Series Championship games in 2002 will be played in California does not set this year apart. In comparison the Subway Series was played within a much shorter distance, also in the same state. Just remember the new Home Run Record belongs to a man who has played with the same team for over the past decade. The team did not go out and spend a lot of money on him in the off-season. As a matter of fact the biggest change in either the Giants or the Angels from last year would be that the manager for Anaheim is in his first year! Even if you, like me, are not a Junior League fan, that fact creates a soft spot in the heart for their team.

Arguments for predictions of wins vs. losses are inevitably a lost cause. This is the time of year when you choose a team other than yours. The beautiful thing is it is never decided in one game, that is why it is called a series. The only negative aspect about this series is that all of the games will be played in the Pacific Time Zone, and all of the games are night games. Night games are beautiful but for most of the country one o’clock in the morning is a little late to stay up watching a game when you have to get up and go to work.

Do not let yourself be fooled into believing this a David vs. Goliath (the Giants being Goliath of course). Anaheim is a powerful team with a huge bankroll warming the bench in the Bullpen and fidgeting in the Dugout. This will be a World Series, and it will be nice to see those four game nasayers eat their words like they did last year.

Being someone who fell in love with cheering for the underdog at a young age, Underdog was my favorite cartoon and I am adamantly a Cubs and Saints fan, I am tempted to take the Angels. But Baseball is a game played by two teams, nine players each! Therefore it is extremely difficult to find a way to cheer for the underdog Angels.

As fans we have learned a lot since last year this time. As Americans we have begun to come together as a united country, something my generation is only now able to experience and appreciate. Underdogs and Superstars aside this promises to be an awesome and rare World Series. No Yankees, no Braves; we have more to cheer for now than ever before.

Michael S. Hayes

Austin, TX.
                    "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

im all in onn this
                      Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time.

-Lou Brock-

Comment

This story seems somewhat relevant, as it pertains to a regular baseball fan who became a writer. Please click on the link to see the entire article.

Leaving the Press Box for a Room With a View
                        Will Leitch, a lifelong Cardinals fan, took a job in 1996 covering his favorite baseball team for The St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Dream job?

Keep dreaming.

"I learned that there is no place in the world less joyful than a press box," said Leitch, 30, who was born and reared in Mattoon, Ill. "You get to a game and instead of having a good time, you begin thinking, 'I hope this ends soon because I have to make my deadline.' You also begin rooting for a good story line, and that just takes the fun out of it.

"I care too much about baseball, or any other sport, to be a part of that life."

Actually, covering baseball and other sports is still a part of Leitch's life.

But these days his dispatches come from the comfort of his apartment on the Upper West Side.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Interesting:
                          http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
                          Cristobal

Comment

I've seen the kid pitch in at least 20 games here and there was never a doubt. My only sad sentiment is that he's a Junior Leaguer; but that's not his fault.
                            "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

Wondering...

knowledgable sportswriting is a badly neglected discipline
                              Are you talking about my intros on Baseball Almanac ? If so, that is why I've begun using writers all over the site there to give me that professional writing I've been lacking...

Seriously now, what would I title a forum like this? Where would I add it? A new forum and a new section? Who would use it? It would need to be wide enough in scope to allow for all different type of writer's items...

Additional input sought...

Sean

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X