Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY Disappointed

Fans,

After all the time and effort I have given to this website to better it, (For FREE), and give you and inside look at what the buisness is "Really Like", today I'm very dissapointed.

At this point I can only speak on behalf of "Mattingly", as I have not heard from Sean the webmaster.

I recently decided to open my own website to do some of the same things as we do here but better. I wanted to give fans an opportunity to upload larger video files of themselves or their kids to have their skills analyized and made better. So I put a thread out there to let the folks I've become friends with aware of this.

After some outstanding feeback from you guys I was really happy with the prospects of this only to get a PM in my box today from "Mattingly" telling me that he has deleted this thread because I'm not allowed to advertise anything.

If this is the case, maybe he should pay closer attention to the threads going on in the Instructional section of this site. People are advertising and promoting new products all the time.

Again, I'm very dissapointed after all the time and effort I've put into this site for this to have happened. If you think I'm full of hot air, then so be it, but if not I would hope you would make your voice heard, in public, or in private.

Good day,
    HG

I don't think that this is right, as HG isn't just some guy coming in and using this site to advertise, he is a well respected, liked, and informed member of Fever. He has taken time out of his life to give all of us a new perspective on the game, and when he goes out and puts up his link here, that many fellow Fever fans were asking him too (it was not unsolicited). In fact, from what I can tell, he wouldn't have put it here at all, and maybe not created it (correct me HG if I am wrong) if it wasn't for the support he received from here. I believe that due to his position that Fever could have allowed that to stand, and I too am disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
      Fans,

After all the time and effort I have given to this website to better it, (For FREE), and give you and inside look at what the buisness is "Really Like", today I'm very dissapointed.

At this point I can only speak on behalf of "Mattingly", as I have not heard from Sean the webmaster.

I recently decided to open my own website to do some of the same things as we do here but better. I wanted to give fans an opportunity to upload larger video files of themselves or their kids to have their skills analyized and made better. So I put a thread out there to let the folks I've become friends with aware of this.

After some outstanding feeback from you guys I was really happy with the prospects of this only to get a PM in my box today from "Mattingly" telling me that he has deleted this thread because I'm not allowed to advertise anything.

If this is the case, maybe he should pay closer attention to the threads going on in the Instructional section of this site. People are advertising and promoting new products all the time.

Again, I'm very dissapointed after all the time and effort I've put into this site for this to have happened. If you think I'm full of hot air, then so be it, but if not I would hope you would make your voice heard, in public, or in private.

Good day,
      HG
      If others are advertising, it is CRAP that HiddenGem can't :grouchy h
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

hey gem nobody contributes free to this board like you do,,,and yes many people slip links in here and there..BUT..you started a thread for ANOTHER message board.As much as you feel hurt you have to realize this too is a message board and you are directing their "CLIENTS" to your board..I certainly understand why they would do it.hopefully you will still contribute to all the INDIVIDUALS here that really APPRECIATE your posts and not make them the losers.would you let someone leave a link at your board encouraging your listeners to another venue? Hopefully you can understand their predicament.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem

After all the time and effort I have given to this website to better it, (For FREE),
          Now I feel bad, seeing how I'm getting paid pretty well for posting my insights.

Comment

i am posting here to go to bat for mattingly.

mattingly's role as co-moderator of the current events forum is a huge undertaking as it is more than likely the most-visited forum.

it is sometimes tough to keep members in check, especially when that member happens to be well-liked, respected, genuine and very helpful.

in this case, hiddengem is no doubt worthy of all four above descriptions. however, baseball-fever rules being what they are, they ought to be followed by all members as equally and as often as possible, or at least as equally and as often as will be allowed.

when it comes to advertising, baseball-fever is constantly hit by spammers. it is a role of the mods to dissuade spammers. and it is the mods who keep the forums free from ads that get in the way of us enjoying and sharing baseball.

in this instance, hiddengem included a link to a website that soon will provide valuable information and services to fans. but while the site itself will be nothing but top-notch and stem from a love of baseball and wanting to inform, having that particular link here at bb-f does constitute advertising.

hiddengem's link happened to be one that involves enjoying and sharing baseball. it happened to be one that did not "get in the way of us enjoying and sharing baseball."
            but it is not mattingly's fault for adhering to the rules.

hiddengem has by now assisted numerous visitors and members. he has gone out of his way to give what would otherwise be unattainable insight.
            but i must side with mattingly on this.

i am posting here to go to bat for mattingly.

perhaps a way to go is an inclusion in a hidden gem post that reads "p.m. me for more information."

please understand, hiddengem and others, that it was not mattingly who first brought the matter up in the moderator forum. and by removing the link, he was doing his job.
            "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

h-g, i do not think that you are full of hot air. i think of you as a class act.
              i will pass along to fellow mods you noting the situation in the instructional forum.
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

hey west coast ...since hg is probably responsible for half of us still sticking around..why don't you give him a plug and pay for it out of the forums profits? do you personally feel he is taking people away from this board?

Comment

While I do feel that the mods are overzealous at time in enforcing the "rules" here at BBF, I think consistency is the most important element of any rule enforcement.

If HG feels he is being singled out then there is a legitimate problem.

However, if HG is looking for a pass because of his contributions here, and unique status, he's exploiting his situation for personal gain, and that is pretty low.

The rules being enforced the same for everybody is more important, in a sense, than the rules themselves. Like an ump's strike zone, consistency is more important than actual location.

My advice to HG: Use PMs, eventually the word will spread to those interested.
                  THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
                    I don't think that this is right, as HG isn't just some guy coming in and using this site to advertise, he is a well respected, liked, and informed member of Fever. He has taken time out of his life to give all of us a new perspective on the game, and when he goes out and puts up his link here, that many fellow Fever fans were asking him too (it was not unsolicited). In fact, from what I can tell, he wouldn't have put it here at all, and maybe not created it (correct me HG if I am wrong) if it wasn't for the support he received from here. I believe that due to his position that Fever could have allowed that to stand, and I too am disappointed.
                    I am extremely disappointed in the decision to close HG's thread and I hope Sean reconsiders.
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Posting since 2/1/"2k6"

As for HG, Mattingly has a good point. Policy states ads for products or web sites, for profit or non-profit, aren't allowed. Here's the quote from policy
                      Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, Web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed.
                      Please note policy does allow for exception to this. Perhaps this can be undertaken by HG.
                      Last edited by Bob Hannah; 02-01-2006, 12:20 PM.

Comment

do you think HG's forum can take posters away from this forum? i think its like leaving burger king flyers in a mcdonalds restaurant and getting P.O.ed if they dont let you...maybe im crazy?

Comment

edgartohof articulated his feelings well and perhaps if other members let management know how they feel hiddengem's link may prove to be an exception. i dunno.

but what i do know is that posts not about hiddemgem's very personal topic are disrespectful to him.
                          Last edited by west coast orange and black; 02-01-2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Can't moderators delete posts, institute bans?

How about it?

This is a serious topic involving a contributive member and his genuine concerns and issues with some of the mods decisions.

Many of the regulars have chimed in with their interpretations of the policy and there is some valuable discourse going on here.

We owe HG the courtesy of a serious discussion of his problem without the interference and distraction of immature foreigners.

Delete the posts that have nothing to do with the seminal issues here so we can all follow the discussion, please.

I doubt RMB would have problems with his responses being deleted, and nobody's blaming him. Besides even if he did have a problem, how could he express it- he's a brick wall.

Anyway, let's give this topic and HG the respect it deserves.

Thank you.
                            THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

i wish west coast would answer my question

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X