Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a specific forum about Speeding up the Game of Baseball.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a specific forum about Speeding up the Game of Baseball.

Most would agree that when watching a Basketball game one can tune in at the beginning of the fourth quarter and feel like they did not miss much. Most may cite that NFL football games are just as long as Baseball games, but, there are 90% less regular season games per team. So in theory, MLB games should probably be between 2 hours to 2 and 1/2 hours if the game wants to remain as one of the top three in the U.S.

So how about a forum that discusses ways to shorten the game?

No need.

The simplest thing baseball could do to speed up the game, would be to call the true strike zone...armpits to below knees. Right now it's middle of the knees to upper thigh for the most part. If you see a bottom of the knee or even near the belt pitch called a strike, there's a huge deal made about it. Screw that. Expand the zone and force the hitters to be aggressive.
    Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 08-07-2018, 10:49 PM.
    "By common consent, Ruth was the hardest hitter of history; a fine fielder, if not a finished one; an inspired base runner, seeming to do the right thing without thinking. He had the most perfect co-ordination of any human animal I ever knew." - Hugh Fullerton, 1936 (Chicago sports writer, 1893-1930's)

ROY / ERA+ Title / Cy Young / WS MVP / HR Title / Gold Glove / Comeback POY / BA Title / MVP / All Star / HOF

Comment

Well, the issue isn't just the length of the games, but the "pace of play" (i.e., amount of action or lack thereof). It's an important issue with the declining attention spans of all of us, especially the younger generation, due to all of the high tech gadgets that we now have, etc. However, I do agree that MLB games should be 2 to 2 1/2 hours - just like they used to be back in the 20th century.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdGenCub View Post
        Well, the issue isn't just the length of the games, but the "pace of play" (i.e., amount of action or lack thereof). It's an important issue with the declining attention spans of all of us, especially the younger generation, due to all of the high tech gadgets that we now have, etc. However, I do agree that MLB games should be 2 to 2 1/2 hours - just like they used to be back in the 20th century.
        This is an excellent point. The 2018 All Star Game is an excellent example. 13 runs scored, but 12 were via the home run. Baseball is more exciting to watch when the percentage of runs scored via the home run is kept to 30%. As teams approach 50% of their runs scored via the home run, the game's pace seems to slow down. The 2018 All Star Game basically produced over 90% runs via the home run, and I just can't see that as being as "exciting" as if only 4 runs had been scored via the home run and the rest courtesy of doubles, triples, singles, stolen bases and even a sacrifice or two.
        Last edited by Alessandro Machi; 09-21-2018, 02:33 AM. Reason: Deleted an extra word, added a word. Grammar stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948 View Post
          No need.

The simplest thing baseball could do to speed up the game, would be to call the true strike zone...armpits to below knees. Right now it's middle of the knees to upper thigh for the most part. If you see a bottom of the knee or even near the belt pitch called a strike, there's a huge deal made about it. Screw that. Expand the zone and force the hitters to be aggressive.
          Some of the pitches that are called strikes seem un hittable already. Raising the height strike and lowering the low strike zone could turn the game into an absolute snooze fest with the amount of strikeouts that would be created.
          Last edited by Alessandro Machi; 09-21-2018, 02:32 AM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro Machi View Post

Some of the pitches that are called strikes seem un hittable already. Raising the hight strike and lowering the low strike zone could turn the game into an absolute snooze fest with the amount of strikeouts that would be created.
            Yeah, pretty much this. Personally, I don't want 1968 to be re-created in my lifetime–we'd probably end up seeing a 450-K pitcher, 250-K batter, and a sub-.270 batting champ. The TTO game of today would make for an MLB season more unwatchable than the WNBA.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post

Yeah, pretty much this. Personally, I don't want 1968 to be re-created in my lifetime–we'd probably end up seeing a 450-K pitcher, 250-K batter, and a sub-.270 batting champ. The TTO game of today would make for an MLB season more unwatchable than the WNBA.
              The ratio of action per time of game is decreasing as strikeouts increase, sacrifices decrease, and home runs increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro Machi View Post

This is an excellent point. The 2018 All Star Game is an excellent example. 13 runs scored, but 12 were via the home run. Baseball is more exciting to watch when the percentage of runs scored via the home run is kept to 30%. As teams approach 50% of their runs scored via the home run, the game's pace seems to slow down. The 2018 All Star Game basically produced over 90% runs via the home run, and I just can't see that as being as "exciting" as if only 4 runs had been scored via the home run and the rest courtesy of doubles, triples, singles, stolen bases and even a sacrifice or two.
                A home run is far more exciting than a ground single, a wild pitch, and a bloop single that scores a run. Very few doubles are exciting as a home run.

19th Century League Champion
                1900s League Champion
                1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
                1950s League Champion
                1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
                1960s League Division Winner
                1970s League Champion
                1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
                1980s League Champion
                All Time Greats League Champion

Comment

Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post

A home run is far more exciting than a ground single, a wild pitch, and a bloop single that scores a run. Very few doubles are exciting as a home run.
                  I agree that in terms of for that moment in time a home run is more exciting than a double. But in terms of the prolonged entertainment of taking several minutes to score a run rather than 20 seconds is going to be more entertaining. Obviously a blend of the two is ideal. For years I think the percentage of runs scored on the home run was in the low 30's. I recall a few years ago it crept up into low 40 percentile for some times and it was considered an uneven way of scoring. Now we have teams scoring 50% of their runs off of the home run. It's a burst of energy all at once versus the build up of an inning that leads to runs. A balance of both I think is ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post

I much appreciate your words here. Yeah, home runs is much more interesting.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X