Leaving the Site Permanently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the Site Permanently

As of today, 02-19-2021, I have made my last update to the threads re: the deaths of old ballplayers in the Defunct Teams section of BBF. I am ceasing the updates and leaving the site permanently due to advertising covering the content of posts and making it too difficult to type and enter updates. This site has been on a long slow spiral downward for a long time anyway and it's time (for me) to move on to other content.

I only post this information so that anyone that may care about those lists, or be interested in updating them (Macker, perhaps?), can step up to the plate and take over their full maintenance from today going forward.

Originally posted by Calif_Eagle View Post
    As of today, 02-19-2021, I have made my last update to the threads re: the deaths of old ballplayers in the Defunct Teams section of BBF. I am ceasing the updates and leaving the site permanently due to advertising covering the content of posts and making it too difficult to type and enter updates. This site has been on a long slow spiral downward for a long time anyway and it's time (for me) to move on to other content.

I only post this information so that anyone that may care about those lists, or be interested in updating them (Macker, perhaps?), can step up to the plate and take over their full maintenance from today going forward.
    Pro-tip: get a script blocker.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Calif_Eagle View Post

We removed that ad company - COMPLETELY. Every single piece of their code was removed from the server. I was actually in the process of doing so at the start of the year, but it took a bit longer to get it done than I hoped. So, those issues are GONE.

Comment

Every time I log on for the past several months I see ads blocking the content of the screen. While I am not leaving this great site, I'd like to see the problem addressed. Just how old is this version of vBulletin? It is in dire need of a major update.
        Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
          Every time I log on for the past several months I see ads blocking the content of the screen. While I am not leaving this great site, I'd like to see the problem addressed. Just how old is this version of vBulletin? It is in dire need of a major update.
          It is very weird...when looking at this site from my work computer (so no add blockers), sometimes I get tons of adds and at others, almost none.
          "He'd give you the shirt off his back. Of course he'd call a press conference to announce it" (Catfish Hunter talking about Reggie Jackson)
          Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

It is very weird...when looking at this site from my work computer (so no add blockers), sometimes I get tons of adds and at others, almost none.
            Here's the problem: The site is likely never updated, and this version of Vbulletin is archaic. I remember about 7 years ago here, they updated and something when wrong. A couple of weeks later, they went back to the old version.

Problem is, that's not the answer. If upgrading fails, find someone who can do it. Never ever keep an old version active.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post

Here's the problem: The site is likely never updated, and this version of Vbulletin is archaic. I remember about 7 years ago here, they updated and something when wrong. A couple of weeks later, they went back to the old version.

Problem is, that's not the answer. If upgrading fails, find someone who can do it. Never ever keep an old version active.
              Actually, 5.6.4 is the current version of vBulletin (as of Oct 15, 2020), and that's the version we're running.
              Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post

Actually, 5.6.4 is the current version of vBulletin (as of Oct 15, 2020), and that's the version we're running.
                Oh great. Hmm, very odd then about the bugs. Maybe it's a common thing in this version and it's being worked on.

Here's what I am getting, and this is actually more readable than yesterday:

Attached Files
                Last edited by White Knight; 06-21-2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

White Knight, are those items common to your viewing/ordering tendencies? I always get ads which have nothing to do with me. For example, now I'm getting Peacock Streaming...and I've never streamed anything in my life.
                  "He'd give you the shirt off his back. Of course he'd call a press conference to announce it" (Catfish Hunter talking about Reggie Jackson)
                  Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

I keep getting the ad for Rachel Ray's &**^%%^* "Nutrish" dog food. I click on the X to make it go away, and it doesn't go away! I don't even have a dog!
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Some of those are really persistent. I haven't gotten that specific one but I have seen some others. Usually, you can get one that will close if you hit Refresh.
                      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Have you guys ever heard of these things called ad blockers? Add these plugins to your browsers, gentlefolk:

AdBlock Plus

uBlock Origin

I have never seen a single ad in my entire time on this website with these installed. Never.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post
                          Have you guys ever heard of these things called ad blockers? Add these plugins to your browsers, gentlefolk:

AdBlock Plus

uBlock Origin

I have never seen a single ad in my entire time on this website with these installed. Never.
                          And for those using mobile devices, whether Android or Apple, those apps also seem to work quite well to keep the ads in abeyance.

(P.S. I'll never understand anyone using Windows without an ad blocker.)
                          Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X