Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equipment specific forum?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Equipment specific forum?

    Have I missed them or is there not a specific forum for baseball equipment talk. IE - what's new, what was, what will be. How do you like X and X bat. What type of Glove do you suggest for such and such. What sort of experiences have you had with such and such catcher's gear... and on and on. I'm a gear junky and glove collector, so this was one of the first things I noticed missing.

    WYK

  • #2
    How old are you approximately? Are you referring to equipment for yourself, or for others, such as Little Leaguers?

    So far, Baseball 101 seems most likely to have posts about how to do anything re baseball equipment. Would you care to joint them by creating a post about this?

    If you do so and that thread becomes widely popular, I beleive then that we can talk.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

    Comment


    • #3
      A simple search in 101 for glove turns this up:

      http://baseball-fever.com/search.php?searchid=2487419

      Bats:

      http://baseball-fever.com/search.php?searchid=2487425

      Both of those searches show tens of thousands of views.

      One bat-related thread has over 69,000 views alone. I'm not sure how much more wildly popular equipment talk has to be...
      But, hey, it's just a suggestion.

      WYK

      Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
      How old are you approximately? Are you referring to equipment for yourself, or for others, such as Little Leaguers?

      So far, Baseball 101 seems most likely to have posts about how to do anything re baseball equipment. Would you care to joint them by creating a post about this?

      If you do so and that thread becomes widely popular, I beleive then that we can talk.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by wyk View Post
        A simple search in 101 for glove turns this up:

        http://baseball-fever.com/search.php?searchid=2487419

        Bats:

        http://baseball-fever.com/search.php?searchid=2487425

        Both of those searches show tens of thousands of views.

        One bat-related thread has over 69,000 views alone. I'm not sure how much more wildly popular equipment talk has to be...
        But, hey, it's just a suggestion.

        WYK
        wyk,

        Neither of the links you've posted contain any threads. Are you saying that there's an absence of information threads under Baseball 101?

        When doing a search, please use the "Entire thread" rather than just the "Thread title" option. You can also type "glove" then "gloves", followed by "bat" then "bats". I think that the search picks results up differently when the plural is used.

        In either case, which age range are you trying to find out for equipment? Some people are also able to afford more expensive equipment than others, so price may be a considering factor.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

        Comment


        • #5
          The differences in prices, ages, et al, are why an equipment specific forum would be helpful. Everyone has played baseall at all ages, and with all types of equipment, and has an opinion of all of it. One forum with such a huge amount of equipment specific information can only be a good thing.

          The search I did turned up something like 290,000 hits for equipment overall(and a few other threads where other folks have asked for an equipment forum as wel). One bat thread has nearly 170,000 hits alone. I only searched for baseball bats and gloves, I included nothing on catchers eq, batting machines, batting gloves, helmets, sun glasses, cleats, et al. In other words, there is a huge demand for information on equipment alone. 101 is great, but it is better for asking questions about basics and play - which is sort of implied with the title of "Coaching And Fundamentals". Whereas many equipment questions are quite a bit advanced, and specific. I know you won't want to hear this, but other boards, including other sports boards like tennis and cricket et al, have an equipment forum that is very handy. It makes it easier and more concise to look for good information regarding equipment specifics instead of having to do a search every time you visit the 101 forum.


          WYK



          Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
          wyk,

          Neither of the links you've posted contain any threads. Are you saying that there's an absence of information threads under Baseball 101?

          When doing a search, please use the "Entire thread" rather than just the "Thread title" option. You can also type "glove" then "gloves", followed by "bat" then "bats". I think that the search picks results up differently when the plural is used.

          In either case, which age range are you trying to find out for equipment? Some people are also able to afford more expensive equipment than others, so price may be a considering factor.

          Comment


          • #6
            wyk,

            Of all the equipment issues you find important, please let us know what your top 10 topics would be if such a forum were created? Just as Dave Letterman has his nightly "Top 10", please let us know yours.

            Afterwards, please create a new thread under Current Events that solely discusses equipment. By this, I don't mean a thread which promotes creation of such a forum, but just a thread about equipment. With no other logical part of BBF to place this, I'd say that CE would be ideal.

            Please discuss things about baseball equipment, from sunglasses, cleats, bats, gloves, equipment care and other things which are equipment-specific. I'd like a preview of what such a forum's types of threads would look like, so please create a good example worthy of such a proposed forum.

            Thanks.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

            Comment


            • #7
              It's just a suggestion on my part, I don't intend to do your job for you, afterall. If you'd like some sort of an idea of how it might go, you only need visit the thousands of other equipment related forums on other sites, if you feel so inclined. If you are trying to say you are afraid of having to do the extra admin work such a forum might provide, or fear the type of responses you may get, you only need say so. I'm just a messenger...

              Here's an example:
              http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
              Not only does Tennis Warehouse have an equipment forum, but they have multiple forums under 'equipment'. I would argue Tennis uses less equipment overall than baseball(I play both).

              And here's some baseball specific examples:

              http://thebattersbox.yuku.com/forums...ball-Bats.html

              One of the other reasons I brought it up was the fact there are very few baseball equipment forums on the itnernet. Football, soccer, tennis, golf, et al have equipment forums galore. You'd be one of the first.

              WYK

              Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
              wyk,

              Of all the equipment issues you find important, please let us know what your top 10 topics would be if such a forum were created? Just as Dave Letterman has his nightly "Top 10", please let us know yours.

              Afterwards, please create a new thread under Current Events that solely discusses equipment. By this, I don't mean a thread which promotes creation of such a forum, but just a thread about equipment. With no other logical part of BBF to place this, I'd say that CE would be ideal.

              Please discuss things about baseball equipment, from sunglasses, cleats, bats, gloves, equipment care and other things which are equipment-specific. I'd like a preview of what such a forum's types of threads would look like, so please create a good example worthy of such a proposed forum.

              Thanks.
              Last edited by wyk; 06-13-2008, 08:25 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wyk View Post
                It's just a suggestion on my part, I don't intend to do your job for you, afterall. If you'd like some sort of an idea of how it might go, you only need visit the thousands of other equipment related forums on other sites, if you feel so inclined. If you are trying to say you are afraid of having to do the extra admin work such a forum might provide, or fear the type of responses you may get, you only need say so. I'm just a messenger...

                Here's an example:
                http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
                Not only does Tennis Warehouse have an equipment forum, but they have multiple forums under 'equipment'. I would argue Tennis uses less equipment overall than baseball(I play both).

                And here's some baseball specific examples:

                http://thebattersbox.yuku.com/forums...ball-Bats.html

                One of the other reasons I brought it up was the fact there are very few baseball equipment forums on the itnernet. Football, soccer, tennis, golf, et al have equipment forums galore. You'd be the first.

                WYK

                The biggest drawback I can see, and I appreciate the points you are making, wyk, is such a forum or subforum would have to be watched fairly closely (like they aren't already) for people who simply would it use it to promote the sale of their own products. That sort of posting is indeed prohibited here.

                While various equipment fits best under Baseball 101, IMO, there is a lot going on in that busy forum, and such discussion about which gloves, which bat, etc. can get buried rather quickly.

                It's something that should get looked into deeper, I feel.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

                Comment


                • #9
                  Exactly. There are going to be advertisers wanting in(and an announcement here or there from Rawlings et. al. probably wouldn't hurt, though). But the worst part of such forums is the trolling and the bickering. But, then again, you are asking for opinions, and some folks aren't going to be as diplomatic as others. Eventually one learns whoms opinions are trustworthy, whom is in the ballpark, and whom is coming from way out in left field...

                  For a starting suggestion, you could just put up one forum labelled Baseball Equipment Discussion. How's that? If it gets deep, you can grow from there.

                  WYK
                  (Go Rangers!)

                  Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                  The biggest drawback I can see, and I appreciate the points you are making, wyk, is such a forum or subforum would have to be watched fairly closely (like they aren't already) for people who simply would it use it to promote the sale of their own products. That sort of posting is indeed prohibited here.

                  While various equipment fits best under Baseball 101, IMO, there is a lot going on in that busy forum, and such discussion about which gloves, which bat, etc. can get buried rather quickly.

                  It's something that should get looked into deeper, I feel.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i completely agree with wyk...with the baseball 101, you have to sort out the different threads...btwn equipment, coaching, hitting, pitching, among other stuff...it would be nice if all equipment stuff would be grouped together somehow

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X