This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Chat Speak

I hate it when people use the chat speak. I don't like any of the lol, u, r, and all of that. I'm not saying that it should be disallowed here, I just think it is a little annoying. Does anyone else think this too?
    (this isn't supposed to be an insult to those who use chat speek)
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

lol ur so funny. r u going to any baseball games this year?

Comment

Gashouse6, can you please post a link to the threads you've found these in?

AG1, would you mind not attempting to irritate someone by using language that they're complaining about? You may find it funny, but I don't.

Since this is a baseball forum, rather than some chat room, please use proper English, including full words with minimal abbreviation, especially of the "chat" variety.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
        Gashouse6, can you please post a link to the threads you've found these in?
        I think this is going to be very hard to do. This chat is used in a lot of threads.
        GOT ALBERT?

Comment

If it's used minimally, and "lol" or "LOL" are used quite often, then I don't mind. If it's used to start a thread or you notice a forumer using this extensively, please post here. If you wish to remain anonymous, then you or anyone else can simply PM one of the Mods here (starting with the forum's Mod). Pick one you feel very comfortable discussing this with.
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Fortunately, it seems only a minority of posters use chat speak here. It's not really against site rules, so hunting for it won't accomplish much.
            You're not alone, Gashouse. Trust me. To be honest, it's hard to take someone seriously here when they shorten words all cutesy like.
            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
              Fortunately, it seems only a minority of posters use chat speak here. It's not really against site rules, so hunting for it won't accomplish much.
              You're not alone, Gashouse. Trust me. To be honest, it's hard to take someone seriously here when they shorten words all cutesy like.
              And they tend to have short attention spans anyways, thus not hanging about where the written word is an agreed upon requirement.
              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

this is not chat speak but i don't think we should be using NL to denote the negro leagues:
                1) NL is the traditional abbreviation for national league
                2) negro leagues is a term not an entity, it describes all of black baseball, not a specific league like negro national league (NNL) - how many different definitions would you get if you asked a group to define 'negro leagues'?

i suggest - NgL

Negro Major Leagues
                1920-31 Negro National League
                1923-28 Eastern Colored League
                1929 American Negro League
                1932 East-West League
                1932 Negro Southern League
                1933-48 Negro National League
                1937-60 Negro American League
                Last edited by Brian McKenna; 04-03-2006, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                  If it's used minimally, and "lol" or "LOL" are used quite often, then I don't mind. If it's used to start a thread or you notice a forumer using this extensively, please post here. If you wish to remain anonymous, then you or anyone else can simply PM one of the Mods here (starting with the forum's Mod). Pick one you feel very comfortable discussing this with.
                  rofl lmao ur even funier.

Comment

Originally posted by AG1
                    rofl lmao ur even funier.
                    And might I ask why you're using chatspeak to reply to me in a thread that complains about just that? Are you trying to be a wise acre?

Unless one is sending text messages on a cell phone that lacks a keyboard, I can't see chatspeak being used much, outside of a chatboard itself frequented by teenagers. This is a forum. Please use proper and full words when posting here, as I've seen you do in the past.

Thank you!

Comment

sorry

I tend to do this aloth,not to annoy people or to be lazy but mostly because most of the typing I do is either IMs,texts, or friendly emails,so it's sort of a thing of habbit.I apologize if its bugging anyone.

Comment

Is using this chat speak really this bad? Does it really matter if someone uses LOL once in a while.

As long as people don't use it all the time, what is the big deal?

I can understand that the English language will deteriorate with the use of 4u or r u. But again I wonder if the use of LOL is that harmful.

Question: Is "IMO" a proper abbreviation or is it chat speak also?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees rule
                          Is using this chat speak really this bad? Does it really matter if someone uses LOL once in a while.

As long as people don't use it all the time, what is the big deal?

I can understand that the English language will deteriorate with the use of 4u or r u. But again I wonder if the use of LOL is that harmful.

Question: Is "IMO" a proper abbreviation or is it chat speak also?

Thank you.
                          A little chat speak isn't that bad. And what does IMO mean? I feel like I should know because I've seen it so much.
                          GOT ALBERT?

Comment

IMO means In My Opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
                              IMO means In My Opinion.
                              It all makes sense now!!!
                              GOT ALBERT?