This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yankees rule
    Question: Is "IMO" a proper abbreviation or is it chat speak also?

Thank you.
    Chat speak, but it seems that it is become more of an accepted abbreviation.
    Last edited by brewcrew82; 04-26-2006, 04:50 AM.
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Question Mattingly....

Is WTF considered a bad word on here? And I'm not being a wise arse, I swear.

Comment

I would advise against using it. If that abbreviation is used, that could lead the way to more "off-colour" abbreviations and we don't really want that.
        RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
          Question Mattingly....

Is WTF considered a bad word on here? And I'm not being a wise arse, I swear.
          Considering that it means "What the F***", I would say it's very unacceptable. I've seen forumers try sneaking in "POS" (piece/pile of s***) and a few others.

I advise against it, since what happens is that people pick up on that and feel that they can say this to each other conversationally, especially with someone they disagree with. If someone takes offense, they can either be insulted or worse, use harsher terms, some of which may not even be abbreviated.

My suggestion to you, especially since you're a wise forumer who's gotten used to us and are part of what I consider the "furniture" around here (meaning people expect to see you here, just as they do the furniture in their homes) is to just act in a way that you'd appreciate others speaking to you, even if they didn't know you.

Since we've got youngsters here, especially in the "Baseball 101" forum, we try keeping the entire site PG-rated. By this, we try strongly limiting any harsh wording that people may think of. The least harsh, the more positive, we feel leads to better communication and less hostility.

Thanks.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
            Considering that it means "What the F***", I would say it's very unacceptable. I've seen forumers try sneaking in "POS" (piece/pile of s***) and a few others.

I advise against it, since what happens is that people pick up on that and feel that they can say this to each other conversationally, especially with someone they disagree with. If someone takes offense, they can either be insulted or worse, use harsher terms, some of which may not even be abbreviated.

My suggestion to you, especially since you're a wise forumer who's gotten used to us and are part of what I consider the "furniture" around here (meaning people expect to see you here, just as they do the furniture in their homes) is to just act in a way that you'd appreciate others speaking to you, even if they didn't know you.

Since we've got youngsters here, especially in the "Baseball 101" forum, we try keeping the entire site PG-rated. By this, we try strongly limiting any harsh wording that people may think of. The least harsh, the more positive, we feel leads to better communication and less hostility.

Thanks.
            Mattingly,

Figured as much. While I could be typing something I saw, like "I walked over there and thought wtf, where did this come from." Even if used in those terms, it's something that could end up being used too liberally, and that's no good. Gotcha

Sincerely,

The Leather Couch

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
              Mattingly,

Figured as much. While I could be typing something I saw, like "I walked over there and thought wtf, where did this come from." Even if used in those terms, it's something that could end up being used too liberally, and that's no good. Gotcha

Sincerely,

The Leather Couch
              Hey, that's the spirit.

What I'd forgotten to post was that, since you're considered a knowledgeable forumer of a historical figure, per your username and overall knowledge of baseball history, I kind of tend to expect a bit more of people like that. There are Mods and there are forumers who post well and keep the place in order, as to their discretion and thoughtfulness. Sort of like the "senior" or "upstanding citizens" here.

There are many, but since I definitely have to think quite a few times before posting, and believe me, there have been *QUITE* a few times that a few words posted too liberally from me could've caused a firestorm, I just ask the more respected forumers here to keep the place in upstanding order.

Since you're the Leather Couch, I'm quite sure that it would be a very high quality collector's item. Louis XIV, anybody?

Take care, enjoy the board.
              Last edited by Mattingly; 04-26-2006, 03:01 PM.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I find it odd that when people find other peoples behaviour or actions annoying they want them to change. To me its like an old man yelling at the sky because its raining.

Once you go down the path of changing other peoples ways you expose to others changing your ways.

I'm a strong live and let live person. If you're reading somebodies posts and you find them annoying or grating heres a hint on what to do. Stop reading the post! If you are getting nothing of value from a posters words then don't read their posts, getting them to write in perfect english is not going to change the value of their post, it's just going to take longer to read. Almost nothing has ever been gained by pointing out a flaw in somebodies grammar, spelling, or writing style.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
                  I find it odd that when people find other peoples behaviour or actions annoying they want them to change. To me its like an old man yelling at the sky because its raining.

Once you go down the path of changing other peoples ways you expose to others changing your ways.

I'm a strong live and let live person. If you're reading somebodies posts and you find them annoying or grating heres a hint on what to do. Stop reading the post! If you are getting nothing of value from a posters words then don't read their posts, getting them to write in perfect english is not going to change the value of their post, it's just going to take longer to read. Almost nothing has ever been gained by pointing out a flaw in somebodies grammar, spelling, or writing style.
                  That would seem quite plausible in real life. If I didn't like someone's ways, I'd likely ignore them. In fact, I've done just that.

However, in online, once one person starts this up, then the next person and then another continues this. Soon, we'll have more people doing this.

I happen to overlook quite a few grammatical errors. If someone writes "it's" when it should be "its", or "red" instead of "read" or something, I've looked the other way. I'll just want to know what the person is saying.

However, when I see "r u gng 2 cm c me 2dy" or anything similar, I'm thinking the person isn't even making an attempt to discuss things in a regular manner.

So long as the majority of threads I've written here were in the regular English, I'm more than happy keeping it that way. If people don't like that, then my alternative would be for them to find other forums were chatspeak is both acceptable and encouraged. I'm not sure how great the level of discussion would be in highly abbreviated form, nor how much research someone would even bother to put in if they're not even willing to compose a few simple sentences or paragraphs, but I'm happy the way things are here.

Comment

Just two cents

I happen to be one of those dinosaurs who never chats, texts or makes an attempt to read those bungled mini-messages. However, there are a few abbreviations that I recognize and think are acceptable. Just throwing these out for you, Mr. Mattingly:
                    LOL=Laugh(ing) Out Loud
                    IMO=In My Opinion
                    IMHO=In My Humble Opinion
                    IIRC=If I Remember Correctly

I had to ask about that last one, but it has some application on a discussion board like this. ("IIRC, Junior had two home runs in that game...") It's something that is recognizable now, even though for my use, it's usually typed out before I can remember the abbreviation.

Most other "annoying chatspeak" isn't recognizable, and I think there are a lot of us who appreciate you and your fellow moderators keeping this area looking like we have a modicum of intelligence. The use of these more than a little bit can reflect poorly on a group of people who have so much baseball knowledge.
                    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
                    --Bob Feller

Comment

2Chance:

I believe that the abbreviations you'd mentioned would be quite acceptable here. What bothers me is when people abbreviate everyday words, like "you're" to become "ur" or change "today" to "2day" or something similar.

Unless someone has less than a regulation-sized keyboard, what's so hard to type up about a few words? I've posted very long posts on a regular keyboard, so unless someone is on a cell phone keyboard or using one of those mini keyboards built into a PDA, why can't they type regular sentences?

I've used "bg" (big grin), ROFLOL (rolling on the floor laughing out loud) and many others. Not that often now, but those are fine.

I just get the impression that if someone isn't going to take a few seconds to post in regular English, then they may not even do any research or put any thought into what they're writing. If someone proves me correct, then fine. However, the regulars here would need to understand what's being written.

If we're all on the same page re understanding a few abbreviations like IMHO (in my humble/honest opinion). However, those are like words "thrown in" to a regular discussion. When the words become a larger part of the text people are writing, then it becomes problematic.

http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm

There are quite a few abbreviated words in here, as it's extensive. If someone posted these words on a regular basis, we'd all need an online dictionary before too long. Either that or we'd never be able to understand what was written, which would be a sad waste of good ideas. :o

Comment

I find this a useful conversation. I find that sometimes, using abbreviated stuff is helpful, but sometimes am annoyed when others do it. As usual, when I do it, it feels advanced. When others do it, it feels sloppy.

I also often use misspellings deliberately, to conjure the flavor of sports speak. Some of my oft-used lingo includes: dunno, wanna, gotta, 'scuse me, cuz.

When I first arrived here, I also allowed myself a teensy bit of cussing. For example; "So what if Wagner/Cobb played in a sh__ league?" Later, I came to see that as unacceptable, and I used the search mode to go back and edited out all my past cussing. I changed the sh word to crap.

I also feel that WTF is going too far, because we all know what that means. I sometimes use, "What the . . . ?", because I intended it to mean, "What the hell?" "Mofo" also crosses the line for the same reason.

It used to bother me a lot when certain members refused to use any capital letters, but then one member explained why and it was legitimate.

I now feel it shows a lack of imagination to rely on profanity. I also was able to figure out most of the online abbreviations, such as:

IMO - In my opinion.
                        IMHO - In my humble opinion.
                        IOW - In other words.
                        FYI - For your information.
                        OTOH - On the other hand.
                        BTW - By the way.
                        LMAO - Laughing my ass off.

These 2 I just learned now!

LOL=Laugh(ing) Out Loud
                        IIRC=If I Remember Correctly

I thought LOL was Lots of Luck! Sheesh. Gotta get my colorful street language together.

If there was one thing I wish I could make happen to clean up our posts, is if everyone used the spell checker before posting. It's the unobtrusive check mark in the upper right hand corner with the letters ABC over it. That one feature could make people sound so much better. We've only had it less than a year, and we all complained, "How much easier it would be if we have it." Now we do and few use it. I go out of my way to clean up my buddies, Randy, SABR Matt, and others, just to have their backs.

Good exchanging here folks.

Bill
                        Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-28-2006, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Bill - thanks for the info on the spell checker. I couldn't live in my professional life without one, and didn't actually realize it had been added here

As a side note, this is the first post I've spell checked, and found 2 mistakes! Of course, I was more careful before I knew there was a spell checker, but I'm sure many typos still made it through.
                          Last edited by Brooklyn; 06-19-2006, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooklyn
                            Bill - thanks for the info on the spell checker. I couldn't live in my professional life without one, and didn't actually realize it had been added here, so thanks for educating me (on something other than baseball, for a change)

As a side note, this is the first post I've spell checked, and found 2 mistakes! Of course, I was more careful before I knew there was a spell checker, but I'm sure many typos still made it through.
                            Webmaster Sean added the spell checker on Oct. 2, 2005.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=34236

Comment

I didn't know there was a spell checker either. I just opened up a word document and typed the word in.
                              GOT ALBERT?
                              St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
                              http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Comment

Re: Spell Checker

Blessed art they who have not seen, and yet believe.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X