Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as well i didn't know about spell checker - i try to download it but my system blocks it every time - any ideas?

Comment

turn off your pop-up blocker. Or lower your security settings if it isn't the pop-up blocker.

Comment

got it thanks - went to the web site

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
          If someone writes "it's" when it should be "its", or "red" instead of "read" or something, I've looked the other way.
          Maybe I missed that lesson in 8th grade English. I've always typed it's because it's the coming together of two words, "it" and "is." Much like I'll is "I" and "will", or you've is "you" and "have." hmmmm, guess I need to study up

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
            Maybe I missed that lesson in 8th grade English. I've always typed it's because it's the coming together of two words, "it" and "is." Much like I'll is "I" and "will", or you've is "you" and "have." hmmmm, guess I need to study up
            Its is not 2 words expressed as a contraction. Its denotes ownership of, or association with. For example.

"The pine tree is an evergreen. Its pine needles are its 'leaves'. Its pine cones are its 'fruits'."
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-30-2006, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
              Its is not 2 words expressed as a contraction. Its denotes ownership of, or association with. For example. The pine tree is an evergreen. Its pine needles are its 'leaves'.
              Good point. Thanks for the lesson :o

Comment

I think you may have missed my point a little bit. What I was saying is that, while you're technically correct re the "I'll", "we've", etc, my main point was that if someone uses the incorrect word, I don't fuss about it too much.

People make points, and so long as I can understand them, I won't worry too much if they use the wrong word.

IOW (In other words), I won't complaint too much if they slightly butcher the English language.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

let us (lets) Nazi step this all the way.....

SNAFU...now that is (that's) not chat speak, but we all know what it is? no? Perhaps we need to extent this philosophy.....from now on, I want every one to talk of HOME RUNS not HRs....Earned Run Average not ERA. Anyway, you're (you are) all being assinine.

100 years ago more less. Typesetters had this same issue, much of the period around this time there was a movement to change words and more particularly there spelling to make them simpler. One of the issues they had was type setting the Boston Red Stockings, and the Chicago White Stockings. For that matter I think the Reds were at one time the Red Stockings? Although, we do not spell all cks sounds with a x now. The White Sox and Red Sox are better then the word Stockings in place of Sox? No?

Yes, I did learn a little "chat speak" just now, IMO for example. Baseball is so full of abreviations however, I can't (can not) see people being that pissed?

BTW (by the way) - if you question an abreviation just ask...it ain't (is'nt=is not) that hard
                  Last edited by tigers527; 04-30-2006, 12:07 AM.

Comment

lol, wtf wddm wat ppl say 2 u? imo it's gr8

Rotflmo

g2g

http://capitalfrontiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by redbuck

Rotflmo

g2g

Even using this link,

"http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm"

your post was still hard to read.

We do not use "wtf" on Fever. I DO know what that means and find it disrespectful. Bear in mind, we have tons of teens, ladies and others here. We also have over 1,000 different guests here every day. So we try to be civil, clean and respectful.

Bill
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-30-2006, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527
                        SNAFU...now that is (that's) not chat speak, but we all know what it is? no? Perhaps we need to extent this philosophy.....from now on, I want every one to talk of HOME RUNS not HRs....Earned Run Average not ERA. Anyway, you're (you are) all being assinine.
                        Actually, SNAFU is an acronym, meaning it's an abbreviation that ends up being spelled out as a word, rather than through individual letters. USA is an abbreviation for the United States of America, but UNICEF is an acronym.

As to HRs, RBI, IBB, if you check out the MLB Abbreviations page, you can see what the majority of stats stand for, both for hitting and pitching. If you need further stats re SABR, then please go to that forum and see more.
                        100 years ago more less. Typesetters had this same issue, much of the period around this time there was a movement to change words and more particularly there spelling to make them simpler. One of the issues they had was type setting the Boston Red Stockings, and the Chicago White Stockings. For that matter I think the Reds were at one time the Red Stockings? Although, we do not spell all cks sounds with a x now. The White Sox and Red Sox are better then the word Stockings in place of Sox? No?
                        Actually, newspaper headline writers had this issue also. I'm not sure why the Red Sox changed their name from the Red Stockings, but it could've been just that, since it took too many letters to write something about the team's win/loss in addition to their name. The NY Highlanders became the NY Yankees because the headline writers couldn't fit a storyline onto a headline. Thus, "Yanks _____" for the headline.

Still, when we've got keyboards and don't need to worry about writing headlines, I think that this need to shorten common words may be overdone. I still believe that if someone can write a whole sentence and paragraph, you can put some thought and research behind your words, rather than the "quick post and out the door" thing.
                        Yes, I did learn a little "chat speak" just now, IMO for example. Baseball is so full of abreviations however, I can't (can not) see people being that pissed?
                        I'm well familiar with the words "can't", "aren't", "I'll", "we've", so no need to explain in a parenthetical which words are being combined. I've also used "ain't", which is a long-used slang word that doesn't exist in the English language.

As mentioned in my last paragraph, please see the various baseball abbreviations, which are commonly used in baseball articles, analysis, player comparison and the like. They are used here, on other baseball boards and in newspapers and magazines across the USA.
                        BTW (by the way) - if you question an abreviation just ask...it ain't (is'nt=is not) that hard
                        If someone uses an abbreviation, it's acceptable to ask what it means? That may be so, but if everyone hear knows what K/9 ratio is, if everyone here knows the BB:K ratio is, if everyone here knows what a GIDP is, if everyone hear knows what an OPS stands for, then I don't believe that requires much explanation, given that the person is familiar with standard MLB abbreviations, has taken the time to familiarize themselves with their meanings and how these oft-used stats are calculated.

By comparison, if someone uses the netlingo to a great extent, if we're not on the same page for this (meaning we don't all understand the terms being used), then I'm not sure what the advantage--or even use--of a post is if only the post writer can understand it.

If someone posted something here in Samoan, who but the post writer could understand it? Nothing critical of the Samoan nation or its people, nor of the net lingo, but you may as well be speaking Samoan if few people here can understand it.
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by redbuck

Rotflmo

g2g

Translation:

"Laughing out loud, *** "wddm[?] what people say to you? In my opinion, it's great.

Rolling on the floor laughing my *ss off

Got to go"

What you've written here isn't just net lingo, but what secretaries call "shorthand", meaning that the vowels are removed and that the resulting "word" is "sounded out", so that it's spelled the way it looks. Thus, "gr8" = "great".

That's also discouraged. It takes too long, and people aren't here to translate posts. If trying to make a point like this, if you can't just write what you mean, then who can possibly understand it?

BTW, please stay far away from the "wtf" thing. One person's "WTF" is met wtih another's "STFU", which is "Shut the **** up". Not a very nice scenario here, since we insist that all posts be kept PG-13, per the audience members and visitors here. This is a baseball sports forum, not an adult male-only locker room.
                          Last edited by Mattingly; 04-30-2006, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Good friends,

What is acceptable in a male-only private conversation, might not be appropriate in a public forum. Here's an easy guideline.

If you'd hesitate saying something if your parents, spouse, kids were standing right there, it probably would raise heckles for some members here. Sports chat in not male-only bonding. We're so much broader than that here.

We are indeed a family rating. Only takes a moment's thought, and some kind consideration for the sensitivities of those who might be trying to hold themselves to a nicer standard. Just a thought, my brothers & sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                              Thus, "gr8" = "great".
                              I like to think of that as "license plate speak." Ever get behind a car, you know its(<<<<<< I'm working on it ) a personlized license plate. You sit there trying to figure out what the heck it means. Yeah, we could do without brain teasers, especially when the pay-off for all that deciphering isn't that great

Comment

I like to think of that as "license plate speak." Ever get behind a car, you know its(<<<<<< I'm working on it ) a personlized license plate. You sit there trying to figure out what the heck it means. Yeah, we could do without brain teasers, especially when the pay-off for all that deciphering isn't that great
                                Oh yeah, that's right. I remember seeing some "interesting" license plates on a car mag. One was on the back of an Italian "exoticar". It read "IXLR8" (I accelerate).

I think there were some custom plates that had code, so the workers at the local Motor Vehicles Departments would translate them to see what they'd really meant.

Yeah, that could also be done without. However, if someone writes a simple "w/o" for "without", so long as their entire post isn't abbreviated, I can deal with this.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X