This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't we all just get along

Now I undersatnd and agree with the profane code not being allowed. But honestly is the web speak all that terrible? I have not seen it here to the point of this many posts are merrited. ttfn peeps (ta ta for now)

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527
      Now I undersatnd and agree with the profane code not being allowed. But honestly is the web speak all that terrible? I have not seen it here to the point of this many posts are merrited. ttfn peeps (ta ta for now)
      Basically, people bring up points, so questions will arise about those points. Prior to this thread, some people may not have even known what some of the chatspeak was all about, so if it's been at least cleared up in this thread, then some use has been made of this thread.

I haven't come across an excessive amount, but I still like to keep this site free from most of that.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
        I haven't come across an excessive amount, but I still like to keep this site free from most of that.
        Keeping Baseball fever free from brb & gtg how noble. Just kidding

Comment

I happen to overlook quite a few grammatical errors. If someone writes "it's" when it should be "its", or "red" instead of "read" or something, I've looked the other way. I'll just want to know what the person is saying.

I try to do the same when folks put the comma outside the quotation marks.

(Hiya, Mattingly! )
          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
            I try to do the same when folks put the comma outside the quotation marks.

(Hiya, Mattingly! )
            I'm actually a fan of putting the commas, periods and exclamation marks outside of the quotes. To me, if someone said "something", then that's exactly what they've written:

"something", as opposed to:

"something,"

Since the "," isn't a part of what they wrote, I exclude it. Others think it looks funny, so that's why either format is acceptable. Some despise each.

Now since you were talking about me, I'll have to fit you into a Yankee cap very shortly. Whoops, my bad. That may be fodder for another thread.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I'm actually a fan of putting the commas, periods and exclamation marks outside of the quotes. To me, if someone said "something", then that's exactly what they've written:

"something,"

Since the "," isn't a part of what they wrote, I exclude it. Others think it looks funny, so that's why either format is acceptable. Some despise each.

Now since you were talking about me, I'll have to fit you into a Yankee cap very shortly. Whoops, my bad. That may be fodder for another thread.
              Kudos to the grammatically challenged.

You should start a club.
              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

"something,"

You can be a fan of it, but it's grammatically wrong, you Yankee fan! Either form is not acceptable in the United States. It goes inside the quotation marks, unless you are identifying a single letter, as in "A", or a number, as in "9", if you see what I mean.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
                  You can be a fan of it, but it's grammatically wrong, you Yankee fan! Either form is not acceptable in the United States. It goes inside the quotation marks, unless you are identifying a single letter, as in "A", or a number, as in "9", if you see what I mean.
                  Oh geez, Sawx fans telling people what they should be fans of.

*Looks to see if there's a law against this.*
                  Originally posted by runningshoes53
                  Kudos to the grammatically challenged.

You should start a club.
                  Hmmmmmmmm, does this mean I can bonk two heads for the price of one?

*BONK!* *BONK!*

Yeah, I only get like this when I'm tired, bored ... or we're playing Beantown tomorrow. Pick your poison.

Comment

while we're being hyper critical

I do this one myself, but am I the only one that does not like RBIs, the stat is already plural RUNS batted in, hence the s at the end is reduntant, and doesn't make sense. The beauty of RBI is it corrects itself if the happens to only be 1 RBI or 5 RBI....just say no....to the s on RBI.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers527
                      I do this one myself, but am I the only one that does not like RBIs, the stat is already plural RUNS batted in, hence the s at the end is reduntant, and doesn't make sense. The beauty of RBI is it corrects itself if the happens to only be 1 RBI or 5 RBI....just say no....to the s on RBI.
                      Yeah, I've heard that a few times. I figured it means Run(s) Batted In, so the "s" would be like saying "ink pen", which is another thing I've never been crazy about.

As to abbreviations, I've been writing "Thx" for "Thanks", "w/o" for "without" and other common things. Not chatspeak, but I figured most people know that if I write "30-y.o.", I mean a 30-year-old person.

Comment

My Canadian Press Style Book indicates RBI's as the correct form.

Sorry guys.
                        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Actually, SNAFU is an acronym, meaning it's an abbreviation that ends up being spelled out as a word, rather than through individual letters. USA is an abbreviation for the United States of America, but UNICEF is an acronym.
                          Very impressive, Mattingly. Many English teachers are unaware of the distinction between the two.

Of course those of us who are George Carlin fans have heard him rant about this before.
                          THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

"something,"

Oh, and then you disappoint with this to follow up. No offense, but the MLA doesn't really care what you think about the rule...

Comment

Originally posted by digglahhh
                              Very impressive, Mattingly. Many English teachers are unaware of the distinction between the two.

Of course those of us who are George Carlin fans have heard him rant about this before.
                              Thanks.

I actually learned of this many years ago from my English teacher. I believe that UNICEF was one of the "spelled out" abbreviations that were introduced to us as acronyms. NASA and NATO are others.

Some abbreviations, such as laser and radar are commonly accepted words without either the abbreviations or UPPERCASE text.

laser = [l(ight) a(mplification by) s(timulated) e(mission of) r(adiation).]

radar = [ra(dio) d(etecting) a(nd) r(anging).]

As to standup comedian George Carlin's thoughts or rants or whatever re chatspeak, of the ones that can be posted here , what has he said?
                              Originally posted by digglahhh
                              Oh, and then you disappoint with this to follow up. No offense, but the MLA doesn't really care what you think about the rule...
                              What's the MLA, and what are their rules? If you have a link to this, I'd appreciate it.
                              Last edited by Mattingly; 05-01-2006, 10:15 AM.

Comment

If you spend time either researching or carefully articulating a point in your post, you aren't going to cheapen it by using all sorts of silly shortcuts. So, I kind of see the the whole issue as self-regulating, a filtering process.

But grammatical errors or misspellings are not the same thing. While they may annoy some of us, its a different type of standard to ask to hold everybody to.

The chat speak is an issue of courtesy, I think, but the grammar is a little elitist.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X