Question about membership on the site

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about membership on the site

Does the list of Registered Users / Members ever get purged? Do you lose or have your membership stricken if you don't post in, say, a year or two?

There were regular members that used to post here (quite a few of them, sadly ) that seem to be gone. Some may have just drifted off, I am sure some have regrettably died and didn't have the off screen contacts with other posters that would allow that to become recognized or known.

What prompts the question is that I noticed the membership count is at appx 24,000 people* and I would think a lot of that number is very casual or one time only users, or else people that have come, contributed more than just a minor or specialized amount, and for whatever reason are just not here any longer. The core number of people that post at least semi-regularly in at least one forum, these days at least, has to be a LOT smaller than 24K.

*24,213 as of this writing. 2:58 PM PDT 10-31-16
    Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 10-31-2016, 02:58 PM.

No, it doesn't get purged. A number of users find the site by doing a web search. A number of them ask a question and never post again.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
      No, it doesn't get purged. A number of users find the site by doing a web search. A number of them ask a question and never post again.
      OK, thank you for replying. Yes I have seen that, joining, asking one question maybe making a few posts then vanishing, never to return. So the count includes everyone that has ever registered. That plays.

Comment

Occasionally, you may see a name this is in black text, and you can't click on the name. Those people either left on their own or were banned. Such names don't appear in the member list.

Comment

Are there any members here from "answerbag.com"?

Comment

I noticed a new heading on the first page of the site. It is a count of "Active Members". What constitutes being an "Active Member" of which there are 479, (out of over 24,000 registered!). I am guessing it's having posted in a recent amount time, but how long is that?

Comment

I noticed something very odd this morning. At the bottom of the forum page the total of current users online was 101.....only 16 members and 85 guests. I really don't understand why a much higher percentage at this, or any given time, are not members. Signing up to become a member is quick and painless. Only slight drawback might be if the rule is still in effect that you can't post on a topic until 24 hours after you've signed up. It might be a slight deterrent if someone is a guest and they have a hot topic in mind that they'd like to post on immediately, only to find that rules prevent them from posting for 24 hours after sign-up. Otherwise, I really don't understand why people are too lazy, or whatever to sign up and would rather just "freeload" on a friend's membership, or are content to just read the various threads without signing up so that they can earn posting privileges and make their contributions to the discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                current users online was 101.....only 16 members and 85 guests. I really don't understand why a much higher percentage at this, or any given time, are not members.
                A lot of them may have come to the site by googling something and then clicking on a link bringing them here.

Comment

Just noticed we no longer have "friends". Can this be brought back? I had a number of them who are no longer with us and it was nice to see their avatars on my profile when I looked at it.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

TTT See question # 6 which I never received an answer to. What constitutes being considered an "Active Member" on page 1 ? 442 of them at today's count 10-5-18. I am sure it is posting within some relatively recent time, but just how long is that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Calif_Eagle View Post
                      What constitutes being considered an "Active Member" on page 1 ?
                      An active member is a count of fully registered members who have logged into the site in the previous week. It does not include guests, those who are members and aren't logged in - just full members who are fully logged in during their visit.

Sean

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X