4. John Clarkson
    5. Old Hoss Radbourne
    6. Amos Rusie
    7. Mickey Welch
    8. Al Spalding
    9. Pud Galvin
    10. Tony Mullane

11. Jim McCormick
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

• 1. Anson
      2. Glasscock
      3. Delahanty
      4. Ewing
      5. Hamilton
      6. Brouthers
      7. O'Rourke
      8. Ward
      9. Davis
      10. Dahlen
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• 1. Cap Anson
        2. Dan Brouthers
        3. Billy Hamilton
        4. Ed Delahanty
        5. George Davis
        6. Roger Connor
        7. Buck Ewing
        8. King Kelly
        9. Bill Dahlen
        10. Jack Glasscock
        "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
        -Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by rsuriyop View Post
          1. Cap Anson
          2. Dan Brouthers
          3. Billy Hamilton
          4. Ed Delahanty
          5. George Davis
          6. Roger Connor
          7. Buck Ewing
          8. King Kelly
          9. Bill Dahlen
          10. Jack Glasscock
          Why Bad Bill over Pebbly Jack?
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

• Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
            Why Bad Bill over Pebbly Jack?

I gave Dahlen a slight edge due to career length and also playing a bit later when the game became slightly more competitive. But I could still see a case for Glasscock. Being the best SS of the 1880's and without a fielding glove ought to give him a lot of credit.
            "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
            -Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
              1. Anson
              2. Glasscock
              3. Delahanty
              4. Ewing
              5. Hamilton
              6. Brouthers
              7. O'Rourke
              8. Ward
              9. Davis
              10. Dahlen
              FWIW, among primarily position players:
              WAR (1876-1899)
              Code:
              [B]1	Cap Anson 84.4	
              2	Roger Connor 84.2[/B]
              3	Dan Brouthers 78.4
              4	John Ward  64.1
              5	Jack Glasscock 61.4	
              6	Billy Hamilton 56.5	
              7	Bid McPhee 52.7	
              8	Ed Delahanty 52	
              9	Buck Ewing 	47.7
              10	Harry Stovey 44.6	
              11	Jim O'Rourke 44.5	
              12	Sam Thompson 44.2	
              13	King Kelly  43.2
              14	Elmer Smith  42.9	
              15	George Davis  42.5
              Win Shares: (1876-1899)
              Code:
              Ward 401.6
              Anson 389.8
              Connor 382.2
              Brouthers 369.5
              O'Rourke 319.3
              McPhee 313.4
              Hamilton 298.4
              Van Haltren 293.9
              Kelley 287.9
              Stovey 285.9

Comment

• I voted for Anson back in 2005 when this poll was started.

And here's the entire book "A Ball Player's Career uploaded, for free!! And it's FASINATING, and one hell of a read!!!!

First baseball (or, for that matter, sports biography in history!) Enjoy!

Comment

• --That cuts at least 5 years off Anson's career. There really wasn't a nickels worth of difference between the NA of 1875 and the NL of 1876. I see no reason to disregard the NA even with MLB chooses to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by leecemark View Post
                    --There really wasn't a nickels worth of difference between the NA of 1875 and the NL of 1876.
                    You sure about that, Mark?

Comment

• --Pretty sure, yes. They shifted things administratively some and it was probably necessary to build a league that was going to grow and last. The game on the field didn't really change though. It was almost all the same players out there. Of course neither was exactly a great league and you have to start counting somewhere. I just think 1871 is as good a place as 1876.

Comment

• Originally posted by csh19792001 View Post
                        I voted for Anson back in 2005 when this poll was started.

And here's the entire book "A Ball Player's Career uploaded, for free!! And it's FASINATING, and one hell of a read!!!!

First baseball (or, for that matter, sports biography in history!) Enjoy!
                        --Thanks for the link. Anson isn't exactly a compelling story teller, but there is some great first hand info about early baseball in there. 70 pages in so far and loving it.

Comment

• I really need to learn more about the 19th century stars. I have only been reading about the stars on the St. Louis Browns/Perfectos/Cardinals in my enormous Cardinal history book. Most of these guys, I only recognize their names from lists of Hall of Fame guys, or like Glasscock, from conversations here. The only one I know a bit about is Cap Anson, being that he is the most famous position player to come from Iowa (Bob Feller is the greatest pitcher from Iowa, and probably more well known these days to most fans than Anson).

For you guys that know a lot more about this era, where do you put guys like Tip O'Neill, Hugh Duffy, Wee Willie Keeler, and Bob Caruthers? Would Parisian Bob make a list for best player, due to his value as both a 200+ game winning pitcher and excellent hitter while in the OF? Just curious. I don't know if he just gets simply tossed into the pitchers rankings for ease.
                          "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• --I tend to give less credit to AA stars like O'Neil, it being the weaker league at a time when LQ was pretty low even in the NL. Caruthers is an exception since he was a terrific pitcher AND a really good hitter. I think he definatley belongs in the Hall of Fame. Hugh Duffy was a very good hitter and a very good defensive outfielder. I think he deserves his plaque, but he isn't going to rank all that high on my list of all time greats. Keeler was perhaps the best contact hitter of his era. He was Ichirific .

Comment

• Originally posted by leecemark View Post
                              --I tend to give less credit to AA stars like O'Neil, it being the weaker league at a time when LQ was pretty low even in the NL. Caruthers is an exception since he was a terrific pitcher AND a really good hitter. I think he definatley belongs in the Hall of Fame. Hugh Duffy was a very good hitter and a very good defensive outfielder. I think he deserves his plaque, but he isn't going to rank all that high on my list of all time greats. Keeler was perhaps the best contact hitter of his era. He was Ichirific .
                              I was thinking they should make an exception to the 10 year rule for Caruthers, who only played 9 I think, just because he was so exceptional on both sides of the ball. I know that was more common back then, but still, he really did very well in both his roles as a P and good hitting OFer. Kinda like Babe Ruth, before there was a George Ruth!
                              "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Caruthers played 10 seasons. Only 9 as a pitcher, but he played one more season (1893) as an outfielder so he is eligible for the Hall.
                                "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X