Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Base Ball Association

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I've watched games at SABR conventions in KC and Scottsdale and must agree. I played in the later game and felt helpless in many game situations. Still, it was a great experience.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by azseamhead View Post
      I've watched games at SABR conventions in KC and Scottsdale and must agree. I played in the later game and felt helpless in many game situations. Still, it was a great experience.
      It must be cool to play these games knowing the rules by heart. Helpless and confused was how I felt when up at bat and swinging the heavy wooden bat didn't help. I'd like to play a game from the 1877-1883 era where the pitcher throws fast underhanded from only 45 to 50 feet.

      Two young ladies played on the other team and one pitched for a few innings. Her catcher and her had a running discussion going on about who wasn't throwing the ball properly. All I know is I should have been given 3 or 4walks.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

      Comment


      • #18
        I went to a 19th century double-header last weekend, and I had a blast. A team from Indianapolis came in to play a double header against two Cincinnati clubs, using 1869 rules. One of the players told me they are looking at starting a new team in the northern Kentucky area next year, and I'm very tempted to join. It looks like a lot of fun.

        I took a few photos at the games and posted them on my blog here: http://thewritersjourney.wordpress.c...-19th-century/
        The Writer's Journey

        Comment


        • #19
          Have seen/played plenty of vintage baseball. Since most play be the "New York" rules really not much different from modern baseball.
          Try playing Townball or the Massachusetts game. There you'll experience a totally different game.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by timmyj51 View Post
            Have seen/played plenty of vintage baseball. Since most play be the "New York" rules really not much different from modern baseball.
            Try playing Townball or the Massachusetts game. There you'll experience a totally different game.
            I have heard of vintage clubs playing the Massachusetts game, but not of any version of town ball. What place and time's game are they playing, and what is their source for the rules?

            Comment


            • #21
              I play for the Mechanicsburg (PA) Nine, we play 1864 rules. I just got back from a big tourney (13 teams) at the Philadelphia Navy Shipyard.
              "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."
              - Brian Clough
              "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
              I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob"

              - John Lennon

              Comment


              • #22
                I was wondering if there were any vintage base ball players here. I recently joined a team and played in my first game a couple of weeks ago. We play by the rules adopted in March 1860 by the National Association of Base-ball Players, in uniforms that are replicas of those worn by early clubs. And we play without gloves. It was actually a lot of fun once I got over my fear of a base ball hit in my general direction. But knowing that I can catch a ball after one bounce for an out helps in that regard...
                Rockies fan living in Texas

                Comment


                • #23
                  I have only played in one game using 1860s rules, and then a second game using 1892 rules. The one bounce rule really changes the game. I was called out after I foul tipped the ball and the catcher lunged and caught it on one bounce. The 1860s ball tends to get soft after a few innings and looks like an egg when you hit it.

                  The 1892 ball is similar to today's baseball and you need a glove otherwise your hands will take a beating. I had trouble getting around on the fastball when using the thick heavy wooden bat. I wasn't swinging soon enough. You pick up some of the finer points of the game playing vintage ball. Good Luck!
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I have been playing with the Clodbusters of Dayton for three years. I have enjoyed playing the bound game. It is much easier for someone who is not in the beat of shape. I do enjoy playing the fly game too though.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I play for a vintage base ball team out of Farmers Branch, Texas, and we had a game this past weekend. It was the first time we had ever played in August here, so we played in the morning to try and avoid the hottest part of the day. Photos of that game are here: http://www.skinnernetphoto.com/Sport...Mustangs-Base/
                      Rockies fan living in Texas

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Danielh41 View Post
                        I play for a vintage base ball team out of Farmers Branch, Texas, and we had a game this past weekend. It was the first time we had ever played in August here, so we played in the morning to try and avoid the hottest part of the day. Photos of that game are here: http://www.skinnernetphoto.com/Sport...Mustangs-Base/
                        Very cool! I like the "vintage-style" team photo...

                        Say hello on Twitter @BSmile & Facebook "Baseball by BSmile"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I don't think I have brought this up before, but does anybody here play Vintage Baseball? I played for a couple years and probably wouldn't have played this year due to my left knee, but it was really fun to get together on a historic site and play the game by the 1887 National League rules. When I started playing in 2014, maybe 20 people would come watch, not counting spouses, children, grandchildren, etc. Last year, we actually drew about 200 fans with no connections to players every Sunday. It was during this time that the idea that the excitement for the game had really dropped at the Major League level, and people had discovered this amateur fun league as a game with more entertainment. I think our games averaged 1 to 1 1/2 walks and about 1 strikeout per game, and we averaged close to one home run per game, which was inside the park, since there are no fences in any of the parks where we played. Most of the people playing were between 50 & 70, and we had one guy who was 74 years old that could still hit the cover off the ball. The Vintage League in our area is actually planning to return next Sunday with every player wearing a mask. At my age, running with a mask on in 90+° weather with humidity isn't something I can do. Even with social distancing, I bet the league enjoys its biggest attendance ever, as people flock to see baseball played.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by wes_kahn View Post
                            I don't think I have brought this up before, but does anybody here play Vintage Baseball? I played for a couple years and probably wouldn't have played this year due to my left knee, but it was really fun to get together on a historic site and play the game by the 1887 National League rules. When I started playing in 2014, maybe 20 people would come watch, not counting spouses, children, grandchildren, etc. Last year, we actually drew about 200 fans with no connections to players every Sunday. It was during this time that the idea that the excitement for the game had really dropped at the Major League level, and people had discovered this amateur fun league as a game with more entertainment. I think our games averaged 1 to 1 1/2 walks and about 1 strikeout per game, and we averaged close to one home run per game, which was inside the park, since there are no fences in any of the parks where we played. Most of the people playing were between 50 & 70, and we had one guy who was 74 years old that could still hit the cover off the ball. The Vintage League in our area is actually planning to return next Sunday with every player wearing a mask. At my age, running with a mask on in 90+° weather with humidity isn't something I can do. Even with social distancing, I bet the league enjoys its biggest attendance ever, as people flock to see baseball played.
                            Sounds like a lot of fun! Hopefully, MLB can rediscover its prior excitement rather than its present boring three true outcomes.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Sorry I didn't see that there was a Vintage Baseball thread already. The moderator moved my post into it. I think the ultimate Vintage Baseball would be to play a game at Cleveland's League Park. I have played catch there and even hit a few lobbed balls trying to hit it to the right field netting (I am left-handed). I know that baseball games are played there, but it would be incredibly exciting to actually play a game on the same field that Cy Young, Nap Lajoie, Addie Joss, and Tris Speaker played their home games, and where all the classic stars of the AL played, like Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Simmons, Cochrane, Greenberg, Foxx, Grove, Johnson, etc.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by wes_kahn View Post
                                Sorry I didn't see that there was a Vintage Baseball thread already. The moderator moved my post into it. I think the ultimate Vintage Baseball would be to play a game at Cleveland's League Park. I have played catch there and even hit a few lobbed balls trying to hit it to the right field netting (I am left-handed). I know that baseball games are played there, but it would be incredibly exciting to actually play a game on the same field that Cy Young, Nap Lajoie, Addie Joss, and Tris Speaker played their home games, and where all the classic stars of the AL played, like Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Simmons, Cochrane, Greenberg, Foxx, Grove, Johnson, etc.
                                Great idea! That would be a wonderful venue. Have they ever played Vintage Baseball at Cooperstown?

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X