Info needed about a Player named Charles Hedrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info needed about a Player named Charles Hedrick

Does any know how to locate information on a "Professional Player" if you dont have the teams name or even when the person played Baseball?
    I found an old obituary that mentioned the person had been a professional baseball player. However no team was mentioned.
    The mans' name was Charles W. Hedrick. He lived (born and died) in the Columbus Ohio area. He was 92 when he died in march 1962.
    I have tried other online searches and even newspaper searches with no luck. Thank you
    Danielle

He didn't play in what would be considered major league baseball, but I'll see what, if anything, I can find out about him.

Which newspapers did you look in and which paper is the obituary in?
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Sry I looked at a few places and couldnt find anything on him. My guess is he played in some minor league. Im guessing it didnt tell a league.
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

I found his Obit in the Columbus Dispatch. I looked in the Columbus Ohio area newspapers that were available online- I don't have the names anymore . I also did yahoo google and aol searches and found nothing on his name but the searches lead me to this site. I have nothing to lose by posting
        Thanks for your help.
        Danielle

Comment

He was born around 1870 according to the obituary. That means he played in the minors sometime between 1888-1905, unless it was semi-pro ball. The good news is most minor leagues back then kept stats so the problem would be who has the stats for him?

I will check what I have, but the name doesn't look familiar. You can e-mail SABR and ask if they can forward your request to their Minor League Committee or the 19th Century Committee. There are a few researchers that compile stats on all minor leaguers dating back to the 1870's. If he played, they will be able to pull his stats up for you.
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

I found a Charles W. Hedrick born in 1870, who, in the 1910 cencus, was living in Crawford County. At the time, he had a 7-year-old son named Albert W. Hedrick. I could find no further information in subsequents searches.

There are several Hedricks still living in the Columbus area.

You can, as Tony suggested, contact SABR for information.

If it were me, I would pick up the phone and start cold calling any phone number you can get your hands on. This could lead to photos, stories and who knows what else.

I hope this helps.
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Thank you guys for some direction... now just one more thing what is SABR! lol. Sports is not my forte so I don't know the acronyms....the good news is I am a very quick learner! Thanks again. I am looking forward to learning a new kind of history! also on a side note I have traced Mr hedrick's back to the 1870's census and his father to the 1860 census. I have not been able to link him with any of the Hedrick families currently living in the Columbus area unfortunatly. I have been working on that. I just uncovered the obituary notice and thought the Baseball information would be an interesting lead to follow.
              Thanks again for the help.
              Danielle

Comment

This is SABR...

http://www.sabr.org/?m=50

Not only is SABR membership a great tool for researching baseball, but you have access to the archives of The New York Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Defender, Washington Post, Atlanta Constitution, Los Angeles Times and hundreds of periodicals dating back to the 18th century. All at your computer.

It really is quite amazing.
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                  This is SABR...

Not only is SABR membership a great tool for researching baseball, but you have access to the archives of The New York Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Defender, Washington Post, Atlanta Constitution, Los Angeles Times and hundreds of periodicals dating back to the 18th century. All at your computer.

It's the greatest. Anyone interested in the history of this great game should look into joining up. There is no more accurate source to check events that took place in game played way back when. You read game recaps in newspapers written the day after the game took place plus box scores of that game. Fresh accounts, unlike stories or accounts that surface years later subject to faded memories, exaggerations and honest mistakes by those who speak of these events.
                  Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 01-24-2006, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                    This is SABR...

don't foget the access to heritage quest, archives usa and baseball magazine

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X