What was this called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was this called?

I think it was called "Knob up" but don't remember.

Any help?

Oh my that takes me back years when that was how we figured out who got to choose "first up or last licks." I never knew there was a name for it.

Comment

We called it bottle caps

Comment

It is called the "Bat Toss". The bat is tossed into the air between two individuals and the two grab the bat with one hand. Beginning with the highest hand, each individual alternates grabbing the bat upwards until the last hand covers the knob, The last hand chooses first if picking teams or if two teams are playing on a field, the last hand will get choice of batting first or last.

Comment

Originally posted by MREAST55 View Post
          We called it bottle caps
          That's what we called it too.

Comment

Some premodern versions of baseball used flat bats, like cricket. Often the equivalent function was served by one captain spitting on one side of the bat and flipping it in the air, the other captain calling "wet" or "dry." This comes in handy if you don't have a coin to toss.

Comment

We never had an actual name for it but I'd say "Bat Toss" because we'd say "toss the bat." "Bottlecap" was the practice of putting your palm over the knob. The way we did it, the guy catching the bat had to call "bottle caps" while the bat was n the air, otherwise it was the last hand on the bat. If you bottle capped, you put your palm over the knob and your fingers had to touch the other guy's hand. If you bottle capped and didn't reach the other guy's hand, you lost. Usually, bat toss winner got to either pick first if teams weren't already set or got "last licks"or "last ups," although last ups usually went to the team whose captain had second pick, if you were picking teams.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X