Fred Crane's Position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Crane's Position

Can anyone give me any info on Crane's primary position. I believe it was second base but I can't find any sources for it.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

What little I can find on him puts his primary at 1B, altho it seems he was at 2B in all 8 of his 1873 NA innings. Looks like he also tried his hand at RF and SS.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
      What little I can find on him puts his primary at 1B, altho it seems he was at 2B in all 8 of his 1873 NA innings. Looks like he also tried his hand at RF and SS.
      Joe Start would have been playing first base and Dickey Pearce shortstop during Crane's prime with Atlantic. Charlie Smith rounded out the infield. So Crane and Smith were either at second/third. Unless Crane was in the outfield. But I'm fairly certain he wasn't.

I hope SWC Baseball is still here...
      Last edited by bluesky5; 03-29-2020, 07:11 AM.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

The few box scores I have seen have him mostly at 2B with some CF (also 3B with the Enterprises, the club he left to join the Atlantics.)

There is much doubt over whether the Fred Crane appearing in the NA in 1873 and 1875 is the same man as the 1860s player.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
          There is much doubt over whether the Fred Crane appearing in the NA in 1873 and 1875 is the same man as the 1860s player.
          Ah, that explains my confusion. For a minute I was feeling like a real poser who missed some proverbial riverboat.

That's pretty interesting. What were there, 100 players in those days? To have 2 guys named Fred Crane, even if we spread it over the whole of the 1870s, is somewhat of a coincidence. Believable, but coincidental nonetheless.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

Joe Start would have been playing first base and Dickey Pearce shortstop during Pratt's prime with Atlantic. Charlie Smith rounded out the infield. So Pratt and Smith were either at second/third. Unless Pratt was in the outfield. But I'm fairly certain he wasn't.

I hope SWC Baseball is still here...
            Speaking of my confusion, Pratt?
            Put it in the books.

Comment

That would be Tom Pratt, who later played one game for the Athletic Club of Philadelphia in 1871.

Comment

I'm mixing up my little known 1860's ball players.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X