Amateur/SemiPro team in Ohio? 1899

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur/SemiPro team in Ohio? 1899

Hey everyone. I'm new here and while I doubt anyone here will have a direct answer, I'm hoping I can get pointed in the right direction.
    While sorting through some family archives with my wife, we discovered a relationship to a Charles "Hummer" Dearmond who is her Great Great Uncle. In my research, Mr. Dearmond would go on to play for the Cincinnati Reds for a portion of the 1903 season. We live in Cincinnati and found this very interesting. He retired from the game in about 1906 due to a bad ankle and maybe was blacklisted(?). Here is a link to a cool article about him:
    https://dannwoellertthefoodetymologi...gs-connection/

But what I am trying to sort out is a team photograph that we found along with some genealogical information, that is labeled as "Club of '99". The players have a large "H" on their jersey. But there is nothing else on the photo that identifies what team this is. On the reverse is a list of the players/manager/scorer. There is a "John H. Dearmond", a known relative, that is clearly listed as shortstop ("S.S") and another Dearmond at the very top of the paper but I can't read the name to see if it is Charles. I found an article from The Journal News in Hamilton, Ohio on Aug 28, 1930 titled "Krebs Baseball Team of 1899". That article includes a team photo and looks back at the Krebs team and lists all the players, scorer, and the manager, Jacob Milders. However, none of the players, except for Mr. Dearmond, or the manager or the scorer, match the people listed in my photo. So it's possible that Mr. Dearmond never played on the team in my photo. Some of the names are hard to decipher. Since they bothered to have a team photo, had a manager and a scorer, I figured they at least had to be a respected amateur team, if not a semipro team. I even contacted the Butler County Historical Society about 3 months ago and got no response. Maybe they aren't active right now with COVID(?).

I'm not ready to shell out a subscription to Newspapers.com, but I've been able to find some pictures of old papers via Google images.
    Hamilton is a relatively large small town in Ohio (population about 60,000 currently) but there are several other towns that start with "H". But I suppose it's possible that the "H" is from the name of a sponsoring company or other organization.

I love this photo so any help anyone can give to help me give it more historical context would be appreciated.
    I just saw that there is also a Photography sub forum so I'll post there too.

Jeremy R.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

These are in better resolution:

Comment

Originally posted by JerRam View Post
      These are in better resolution:
      First and foremost, welcome to BBF.

I don't see those of higher resolution, nor do they show up in the site code, that is until quoting you to reply. What's happening is that the code you entered isn't compatible with the site.
      Put it in the books.

Comment

Thanks! What do you mean by "site code"? I think the file type is .jpeg. Would conversion to a different type work better next time?

Comment

No conversion is necessary. The pics uploaded using the site tools are visible.

I've always found that the best way to insert pics is the "Upload Attachments" button just below the editing box. Choose "Fullsize" to upload the image and you're on your way.
          Put it in the books.

Comment

But that doesn't help you in your search for info. It's late so I'll just post Charlie DeArmond's BRef page. If I have some time, I'll try to dig deeper.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...earmch01.shtml
            Put it in the books.

Comment

Hopefully I did it right this time.

Club of 99 photo.jpeg

Club of 99 reverse.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by JerRam View Post
                Hopefully I did it right this time.

Club of 99 photo.jpeg

Club of 99 reverse.jpeg
                Indeed. Those are terrific renderings.