X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All 19th Century Team

Who makes your All-19th Century Team?

Rules
    1. Some candidates will certainly have played the latter part of their career in the 20th Century. That doesn't mean we discount that portion of their career, but we are looking for the greatest players of the 19th Century. Please keep that in mind. In other words, this isn't a list solely of players whose careers ended before 1901.

2. Please come up with a 25-man roster plus 15 reserves. There are no positional requirements other than to have at least one player at each defensive position. Please use players at positions where they actually played a reasonable portion of their career. (25 games at catcher does not qualify one at catcher, sorry.) I'm not going to set a minimum number (or percentage) of games at a position, but please use common sense here.

3. Feel free to include black players, Cuban players, etc. if you honestly feel one or more should make the cut.

Last, but not least, have fun with this!
    Chadwick
    Rolen on to Cooperstown
    Last edited by Chadwick; 12-11-2021, 07:40 PM.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

My 25-Player Roster
    Pitchers - John Clarkson, Tim Keefe, Kid Nichols, Charley Radbourn, Cy Young
    Catchers - Buck Ewing, Deacon White
    First Basemen - Cap Anson, Dan Brouthers, Roger Connor
    Second Basemen - Ross Barnes, Bid McPhee
    Third Basemen - John McGraw
    Shortstops - George Davis, Jack Glasscock, George Wright
    Left Fielders - Jesse Burkett, Ed Delahanty, Jim O'Rourke, Harry Stovey
    Center Fielders - Billy Hamilton, Paul Hines, Lip Pike
    Right Fielders - King Kelly, Sam Thompson

My 15-Player Reserves
    P - Tommy Bond, Charlie Buffinton, Al Spalding
    C - Charlie Bennett
    1B - Jake Beckley, Joe Start
    2B - Cupid Childs, Frank Grant, Hardy Richardson
    3B - Ezra Sutton
    SS - Bill Dahlen, Hughie Jennings
    LF - Charley Jones
    CF - Pete Browning, George Gore
    Chadwick
    Rolen on to Cooperstown
    Last edited by Chadwick; 12-11-2021, 07:38 PM.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

25-Man Roster
      Pitchers-Tim Keefe, John Clarkson, Al Spalding, Old Hoss Radbourn, Tommy Bond, Jim McCormick
      Catchers-Buck Ewing, Charlie Bennett, Deacon White
      First Basemen-Cap Anson, Joe Start
      Second Basemen-Ross Barnes, Bid McPhee, Fred Dunlap
      Third Basemen-Ezra Sutton, Ned Williamson
      Shortstops-Jack Glasscock, George Wright, Monte Ward
      Left Fielders-Jim O’Rourke, Harry Stovey
      Center Fielders-Paul Hines, George Gore, Pete Browning
      Right Fielders-King Kelly

15-Reserves
      P-Tony Mullane, Bob Caruthers, Pud Galvin, Charlie Buffinton
      C-Cal McVey, John Clapp
      1B-Roger Connor
      2B-Hardy Richardson
      3B-Denny Lyons
      SS-Jack Rowe, Ed McKean
      LF-Charley Jones
      CF-Lip Pike
      RF-Mike Tiernan, Oyster Burns

Comment

First of all, nice list. A few musings below...

Where is Dan Brouthers or Ed Delahanty? Did you just render George Davis "ineligible" as half his career was in the early 1900s?

For an era where teams carried 1-3 pitchers (gradually, but haphazardly increasing the "staff" the closer to the turn of the century they got), I'm a tad bit surprised to see fully one-quarter of the roster dedicated to pitchers.

I just thought of this myself, too, but do you believe that any professional negro or Cuban ballplayer from the 19th century could crack your list? Asking as you have Dunlap on your active roster, but the "Black Dunlap" not at all.
        Chadwick
        Rolen on to Cooperstown
        Last edited by Chadwick; 12-11-2021, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
          For an era where teams carried 1-3 pitchers (gradually, but haphazardly increasing the "staff" the closer to the turn of the century they got), I'm a tad bit surprised to see fully one-quarter of the roster dedicated to pitchers.

I just thought of this myself, too, but do you believe that any professional negro or Cuban ballplayer from the 19th century could crack your list? Asking as you have Dunlap on your active roster, but the "Black Dunlap" not at all.
          I 100% think they could be on there. I just went with players who's MLB careers were over before 1900. George Stovey could qualify. Maybe Bud Fowler or Moses Fleetwood Walker if we had the stats. I almost put Frank Grant on there but he played until 1907.

Comment

That makes sense.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X