Thanks all
    Attached Files

Louisville?
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
      Louisville?
      That's what I was going to say, assuming it's a (one-time) major-league cap. The Louisville Colonels did indeed wear a red-and-white color scheme.

If it's not a major-league cap, I'll guess Lancaster Red Roses.

Comment

Originally posted by chewties View Post

Tags say: "New Era Cap Co. Inc. 100% Wool"

Thanks all
        Wikipedia shows a different style logo on the L on the Cap for the Colonels. There also was the Louisville Grays in 1876 and 1877.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
        Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
          That's what I was going to say, assuming it's a (one-time) major-league cap. The Louisville Colonels did indeed wear a red-and-white color scheme.

If it's not a major-league cap, I'll guess Lancaster Red Roses.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_Red_Roses
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

What?

This cap might not belong to either Louisville or Lancaster, but the fact that it doesn't appear in Wikipedia doesn't give us any information one way or the other. I just checked the Wikipedia page for the Braves, and several fairly well-known past logos of the Braves don't appear.
            Last edited by Pere; 05-19-2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

The "L" is much too plain for 1870s major leagues.

Comment

Who knows when caps started having ventilation holes?
                "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

New Era Cap Company wasn't founded until 1920. This may be a minor league cap?
                  "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                  "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
                    Who knows when caps started having ventilation holes?
                    Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                    New Era Cap Company wasn't founded until 1920. This may be a minor league cap?
                    I guess I was answering with the idea that it was a "replica" of some sort.

But yes, if this is an original, it wouldn't be in the 19th Century.
                    Last edited by Pere; 05-20-2008, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I am skeptical of its even being a replica (or at least an accurate one) of anything 19th century. The shape of the bill is modern. The ventilation holes have already been noted. We can at the machine stitching, especially on the bill. I do not claim expertise on 19th century baseball cap designs, but I have seen my share of contemporary pictures and this simply doesn't say "19th century" to me.

Comment

Ok, I cheated. I e-mailed New Era Cap. And this is the conversation:
                        Tony,

The closest match to a minor league team is the Louisville Colonels, early 1940s, but definitely 1941.

The Negro League New York Lincoln Giants wore something similar back in the late 1920s, but the ‘L’ was not plain block but more of a fancy block letter.

Of course, it could also be a high school/college cap, too. We’d really need to know the location of your friend obtained the hat or if who he got played for a certain team/league.

Sincerely,

Brian | Web Consumer Relations
                        New Era Cap Co. | 160 Delaware Ave | Buffalo, NY 14202-2404
                        P: 1-877-NEC-5950 Ext. 1556 | W: www.neweracap.com
                        ***Selected New Era Apparel now on sale at www.neweracap.com!

Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:59 AM
                        To: Web Service
                        Subject: Question about a hat

Hello,
                        I have attached a photo of a hat that a few online buddies of mine are curious about. It is red in color with the letter L on the front. The inside label says "New Era". Do you know which team that this is?
                        Thank you so much,
                        Tony
                        Now all we need to know is... where exactly did you get this hat? Was it given to you? Did you purchase it? Let me know, and I will call Brian myself and tell him. Because now you guys got me curious.
                        Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

I'm surprised there's any fuss about this cap. There is nothing that tells that this is a minor league cap. It could be a youth league or high school cap for all we know. As late as the early 70s New Era produced caps like this. The image appears to show 6 rows of visor stitching. That signifies a lower quality cap, as 8 rows of stitching on the visor translates to the use of a better visor board. Check your latest MLB Onfield cap, it has 8 rows of stitching. Another attribute that is misleading is the felt lettering. New Era stopped using felt lettering in the 80s or early 90s when swiss embroidery became so popular and the lettering style of choice.
                          God created baseball; it's scriptural: "In the big inning..." (Genesis 1:1)

Comment

Originally posted by Nashvol View Post
                            I'm surprised there's any fuss about this cap. There is nothing that tells that this is a minor league cap. It could be a youth league or high school cap for all we know. As late as the early 70s New Era produced caps like this. The image appears to show 6 rows of visor stitching. That signifies a lower quality cap, as 8 rows of stitching on the visor translates to the use of a better visor board. Check your latest MLB Onfield cap, it has 8 rows of stitching. Another attribute that is misleading is the felt lettering. New Era stopped using felt lettering in the 80s or early 90s when swiss embroidery became so popular and the lettering style of choice.
                            That's actually what I was thinking. Little league, probably.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Regardless what league it is. Wouldn't New Era still know?
                              Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X