John "Jocko" Flynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John "Jocko" Flynn

I heard about this guy in a book. He played with the Cubs in 1886 and had a 24-6 record with an ERA of 2.24. The next year he played 1 game in center field and had no at bats and never played again. Does anyone know what happened to him? I looked in a few websites but could'nt find anything. I also googled his name and got a bunch of stuff but not much help.
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

he blew out his arm

page 290 the great encyclopedia of 19th century mlb

Comment

Oh ok. Thank you very much.
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

I wonder when he blew it out.

He was reserved by Chicago in October 1886.

Any more info in the book?
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

he rates a full page article - came to chicago with his batterymate prunes moolic - both lived in lawrence, massachusetts - won 23 games - blew out arm - they say he never took care of himself - means alcohol i guess - holds all-time record for most wins by one-year pitcher - doesn't say when he hurt his arm - whether it was late 1886 or early 1887

Comment

Looks like he hit in the number one spot form the box scores in The Sporting News.

I see one where he's batting eighth as well.
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

He played his last game in right field on May 23, 1887.

The Tribune says, "Flynn split a finger on the first ball hit to right and was retired in favor of (Dell) Darling."

He had not hits and one error.
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Flynn and Moolic were brother-in-laws.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X