John McGraw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McGraw

Not wanting to toot my own horn too much, but I was watching through my old baseball youtube channel that I did a couple years ago and I hadn't watched the John McGraw episode in well over a year. It stood the test of time, so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUR8jGjlZlI
    "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Nice work Big Kahuna!

Production is excellent and I liked your high energy. I'm reading Neil Armstrong's biography now and Buzz is mentioned now and then.

Did you consider mentioning McGraw's childhood and the family tragedy that set off his passion for baseball?
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

I did, actually, but we tried to keep them under 7 minutes so time constraints pretty much put the kibosh on that.
      "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Buzz, do you have plans of starting up your YouTube channel again?

Comment

I do. I've been busy doing another channel since July- it follows WWI week by week from beginning to end in real time using original footage from the British Pathé film archives (it's called The Great War). It's taken off pretty well, from zero last July I now have nearly 80,000 subscribers and over 2.5 million views, numbers which I'd LOVE Sunday Baseball to reach. But I will have some free time in may and June to do the baseball show, provided I can raise the funds for at least some of the editing. I have outlines for the next 16 episodes, though, so one day it will become reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
            I do. I've been busy doing another channel since July- it follows WWI week by week from beginning to end in real time using original footage from the British Pathé film archives (it's called The Great War). It's taken off pretty well, from zero last July I now have nearly 80,000 subscribers and over 2.5 million views, numbers which I'd LOVE Sunday Baseball to reach. But I will have some free time in may and June to do the baseball show, provided I can raise the funds for at least some of the editing. I have outlines for the next 16 episodes, though, so one day it will become reality.
            Wow, impressive, and must require a lot of research...as a history teacher I understand the time this must take

Comment

It takes me around 20 hours a week to do all the research and writing. And then shooting in Berlin for two days a month. Which very much does NOT suck.

Comment

Cracking series, will be relishing watching the rest of these. Great War series looks awesome although on a personal level I hate that it's often referred to as Great, not a dig at you personally as it's a common moniker. The Independent Newspaper in UK did a 100 part series that was very interesting.

Comment

This was very well done, exellent work Buzz. I learned quite a bit about Muggsy. Man I'd love to see sharp video of him playing in his prime. Imagine going to an Orioles game in the 1890s. Wow.

Comment

The term "great" has three well-known meanings.

The GREAT War, called that because it was extremely large, was fought by doughboys, including my GREAT Grandfather, meaning one generation removed from the relative specified, who was a GREAT man, meaning remarkable and outstanding.

Comment

Great work, Buzz. McGraw is one of my all-time favorite. Would I wouldn't give to go back and time to watch a Mathewson-Brown matchup under the McGraw/Chance era...
                      "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Are there any recent books written about John McGraw, I already have in my library "The Old Ball Game "by Frank Deford, a great book containing the history and relationship of Christy Mathewson and John McGraw, any suggestions would be appreciated.
                        Last edited by ATL4LYF; 12-26-2015, 10:22 PM. Reason: delete this post

Comment

Have there been any new books written about John McGraw recently? I already have "The Old Ball Game" by Frank Deford a great book on the history between John and Christy Mathewson, in my baseball library, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL4LYF View Post
                            Have there been any new books written about John McGraw recently? I already have "The Old Ball Game" by Frank Deford a great book on the history between John and Christy Mathewson, in my baseball library, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                            If you're interested in the Giants in general, The Giants of the Polo Grounds by Noel Hynd is pretty comprehensive. The Mathewson biography by Ray Robinson also goes into their relationship a bit.
                            "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

Could you possibly add captions to your videos? They are uncaptioned.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X