John McGraw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great video Buzz!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by ATL4LYF View Post
      Have there been any new books written about John McGraw recently? I already have "The Old Ball Game" by Frank Deford a great book on the history between John and Christy Mathewson, in my baseball library, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      My book titled Young John McGraw of Truxton covers the first sixteen years of his life, and is available on Amazon.
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post

My book titled Young John McGraw of Truxton covers the first sixteen years of his life, and is available on Amazon.
        Very cool man. Good work and thanks.
        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

McGraw,Bresnahan,and Cobb(1927) ty cobb-giants 1927.jpg

Comment

Cobb has his hands and legs backwards, lol.
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
              Cobb has his hands and legs backwards, lol.
              No.Cobb is batting correctly-he has just missed the imaginary ball from an imaginary pitcher for strike two over an imaginary plate(according to the imaginary umpire named "Mugsy")!You must be listening to Dave Brubeck records with your friend Mary Jane again!?
              Last edited by Nimrod; 11-23-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post

No.Cobb is batting correctly-he has just missed the imaginary ball from an imaginary pitcher for strike two(according to the umpire "Mugsy")!You must be listening to Dave Brubeck records with your friend Mary Jane again!?
                Lol, every day sir. This made me laugh so hard. Almost as hard as Bresnahan looks like he's try not to laugh.

Comment

Lol, every day sir. This made me laugh so hard. Almost as hard as Bresnahan looks like he's try not to laugh.
                  You can barely see a twinkle in McGraw`s eyes.I recall reading somewhere that Cobb hated McGraw with a passion to the day he(Cobb) died.I`m fairly certain the source was Al Stump so I don`t believe it.This picture,as well as several others taken on the same March date in 1927,would show that Cobb must have liked McGraw just fine!By the way,Louis Armstrong once confessed that he checked in with a Mary Jane everyday of his adult life-you are in very good company!

Comment

You can barely see a twinkle in McGraw`s eyes.I recall reading somewhere that Cobb hated McGraw with a passion to the day he(Cobb) died.I`m fairly certain the source was Al Stump so I don`t believe it.This picture,as well as several others taken on the same March date in 1927,would show that Cobb must have liked McGraw just fine!By the way,Louis Armstrong once confessed that he checked in with a Mary Jane everyday of his adult life-you are in very good company!
                    I never heard of Cobb and McGraw having bad blood. You'd think they'd have at least a grudging respect since Cobb perfected the style of play that McGraw perfected strategically.

Comment

I never heard of Cobb and McGraw having bad blood. You'd think they'd have at least a grudging respect since Cobb perfected the style of play that McGraw perfected strategically.
                      McGraw always said great things about Cobb.The story goes that during the 1917 spring training(exactly 10 years before that picture was taken)Cobb slid hard into the Giants second baseman Buck Herzog during an exhibition game down in Texas.A fight broke out between the two,but was broken up quickly.Later the two agreed to a fight after Herzog challenged Cobb.Later,in Herzog`s room they had their match.Cobb apparently beat the hell out of Herzog.The next day in the lobby,McGraw supposedly chewed Cobb out.Cobb promptly reached out and tweaked McGraw`s nose and walked off leaving McGraw holding his nose fuming.Sounds like McGraw should have hated Cobb,not the other way around!

Comment

McGraw always said great things about Cobb.The story goes that during the 1917 spring training(exactly 10 years before that picture was taken)Cobb slid hard into the Giants second baseman Buck Herzog during an exhibition game down in Texas.A fight broke out between the two,but was broken up quickly.Later the two agreed to a fight after Herzog challenged Cobb.Later,in Herzog`s room they had their match.Cobb apparently beat the hell out of Herzog.The next day in the lobby,McGraw supposedly chewed Cobb out.Cobb promptly reached out and tweaked McGraw`s nose and walked off leaving McGraw holding his nose fuming.Sounds like McGraw should have hated Cobb,not the other way around!
                        Cobb was certainly in his share of fights. My favorite is when he fought two guys who attempted to rob him when his car broke down with his wife in tow.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X