Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a woman ballplayer better than a man ballplayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a woman ballplayer better than a man ballplayer?

What do you guys think?
    Once I saw on This Week In Baseball a woman all-star "softball"(close enough) pitcher strike out Dimitri Young, Jim Thome and a couple of other sluggers.

Do you think if there was an exhibition game between: Woman All-Stars and the Men-All-Stars(MLB) who would win?
    Cristobal

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
    What do you guys think?
    Once I saw on This Week In Baseball a woman all-star "softball"(close enough) pitcher strike out Dimitri Young, Jim Thome and a couple of other sluggers.

Do you think if there was an exhibition game between: Woman All-Stars and the Men-All-Stars(MLB) who would win?
    It depends what they play. If they're playing by softabll rules, and Jennie Finch is able to pitch as she did when she struck all those batters in a non-competitive venue, it might be closer than if she had to throw overhand from 60'6".
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

if your question is:
      Is there a woman ballplayer better than a man ballplayer?
      then yes, i'm sure on an individual basis there are excellent female ballplayers

if your question is:
      then no, a men's all-star team would win in all likelihood - pitching, as always, would be the key

Comment

Two of the best

There were two women here that were good enough to play against the men in the negro leagues. Tori Stone was as smooth an infielder as any man and no slouch with the stick. I have met and chatted with Mamie "Peanuts" Johnson, and she managed to whack a solid single through the box off Satchel Paige the first time she faced him. Not many people can honestly say that, including Ruth, Gehrig, and Foxx, but she said she was just trying to make good contact and not get killed.
        Baseball is a ballet without music. Drama without words ~Ernie Harwell

Comment

Pearl Barrett
          Isabel Baxter
          Connie Morgan

also played in the negro leagues

Comment

Are women allowed on MLB? If they were on the Negro Leagues maybe they could be on MLB. Not likely, but still...

Comment

That would be interesting to see a female ballplayer in the MLB. She would have to be a kickass player though.
              "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
              -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
              -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

She'd have to own a private shower though

Comment

Originally posted by ReignInBlood
                  Are women allowed on MLB? If they were on the Negro Leagues maybe they could be on MLB. Not likely, but still...
                  no, women were barred from the major leagues by ford frick in june 1952 - it still stands

Comment

Did any woman made the big leagues before that rule was instated?

Comment

no woman ever played in the majors - the rule was enacted in response to:

Eleanor Engle, a softball star, was signed by the Harrisburg Senators of the Interstate League on June 21, 1952.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz
                        What do you guys think?

Pitcher for Arizona: Jennie Finch
                        "The AL Team representing Orange County" - Joe Buck "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim near the Arrowhead Pond, south of Santa Barbera" - Dan Patrick "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of California of USA...near San Juan Capistrano" - Peter Gammons...Chris Berman

Comment

Originally posted by Guerrero Mad Man 2715
                          Pitcher for Arizona: Jennie Finch
                          Pitcher for Chicago Bandits: Jennie Finch

Married To

Pitcher for Arizona (Diamondbacks): Casey Daigle
                          A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Jennie Finch>Jose Lima

Comment

For those of us who know nothing about the women who played in the Negro Leagues, nor know anything about Jenny Finch, please tell more or point to where we can find it. And what in the world was Ford Frick's problem beyond misogyny? It's hard to believe that rule could withstand a court challenge today. Also, on an earlier thread (now gone) there was mention of the woman who struck out Ted Williams, not once but twice. BTW, I don't know where CuriousBoston and VtSoxFan are, but I miss them and hope they haven't disappeared in dismay.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X