Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Amateur Baseball sites?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Women's Amateur Baseball sites?

    Hello, I'm looking to expand for the Amateur site here more baseball sites. However, the several I've come across all have men's teams. The women's teams were primarily basketball, volleyball, tennis and several other sports, but no baseball. If any college teams have women's baseball programs, I'd be very interested in hearing about this.

    Many thanks in advance.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mattingly
    Hello, I'm looking to expand for the Amateur site here more baseball sites. However, the several I've come across all have men's teams. The women's teams were primarily basketball, volleyball, tennis and several other sports, but no baseball. If any college teams have women's baseball programs, I'd be very interested in hearing about this.

    Many thanks in advance.

    If you do a search for "women's baseball" on Google on wherever, umpteen women's baseball sites come up. Here are sites/web pages where you can find several women's baseball links. There are hundreds of sites/links out there:

    www.detroitdanger.com (http://eteamz.active.com/detroitdanger/links/ the Danger links page) — has over 100 links

    www.eteamz.com/mogbl (http://eteamz.active.com/mogbl/links/ the MOGBL links page) — has over 100 links

    www.awbf.org

    http://dmoz.org/Sports/Baseball/Women/

    http://www.google.com/Top/Sports/Baseball/Women/

    Comment


    • #3
      http://www.sbbluesox.com/Frame-85758...=1158602159064 Saint Mary's University women's baseball (the only collegiate women's baseball club in the U.S. currently, as far as I know)

      There are umpteen colleges and universities in Australia and Japan that have women's baseball.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks. I'll check these out. I'd looked into the women's sports, and noted that a few colleges had softball but no baseball. Oh well, I guess that on the college level, it hasn't really been as active as I'd expected.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mattingly
          Thanks. I'll check these out. I'd looked into the women's sports, and noted that a few colleges had softball but no baseball. Oh well, I guess that on the college level, it hasn't really been as active as I'd expected.
          You're welcome. It will happen soon but will take some time. Once one college has a program for a few years, I can see other colleges starting programs as well. Since we have a women's national team that's been competing in international competitions for several years, and women's baseball is growing and developing at other levels, it's going to happen. USA Baseball is getting more involved with developing the women's national team and is planning to help develop younger female players, things will take shape.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NotAboutEgo
            You're welcome. It will happen soon but will take some time. Once one college has a program for a few years, I can see other colleges starting programs as well. Since we have a women's national team that's been competing in international competitions for several years, and women's baseball is growing and developing at other levels, it's going to happen. USA Baseball is getting more involved with developing the women's national team and is planning to help develop younger female players, things will take shape.
            Silly few questions, hopefully you'll forgive my asking.

            Do the various colleges not feel that women are physically able to play baseball? Is softball played because it's felt that the women would get hurt if playing against guys?

            If there are women baseball teams, who do they play against? Other womens' baseball teams? My apologies for not viewing the links yet. Work's been heavy, so that's my sad excuse.

            I remember seeing on YES a few years ago, Jenny McCarthy pitch well and interview MLB players. She had some underhand pitch and played against other women's teams.

            Best of luck to you.

            EDIT: Now I'm starting to peek at your links. Nice.
            Last edited by Mattingly; 03-06-2007, 11:36 AM.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mattingly
              Silly few questions, hopefully you'll forgive my asking.

              Do the various colleges not feel that women are physically able to play baseball? Is softball played because it's felt that the women would get hurt if playing against guys?

              If there are women baseball teams, who do they play against? Other womens' baseball teams? My apologies for not viewing the links yet. Work's been heavy, so that's my sad excuse.

              I remember seeing on YES a few years ago, Jenny McCarthy pitch well and interview MLB players. She had some underhand pitch and played against other women's teams.

              Best of luck to you.

              EDIT: Now I'm starting to peek at your links. Nice.
              Originally posted by Mattingly
              Silly few questions, hopefully you'll forgive my asking.

              Do the various colleges not feel that women are physically able to play baseball? Is softball played because it's felt that the women would get hurt if playing against guys?

              If there are women baseball teams, who do they play against? Other womens' baseball teams? My apologies for not viewing the links yet. Work's been heavy, so that's my sad excuse.

              I remember seeing on YES a few years ago, Jenny McCarthy pitch well and interview MLB players. She had some underhand pitch and played against other women's teams.

              Best of luck to you.

              EDIT: Now I'm starting to peek at your links. Nice.
              Your questions aren't silly. I've been involved with women's baseball since 1998, so it's easy for me to answer a lot of questions.

              I don't know the exact reasons why colleges don't have women's baseball programs other than it's because the current status quo is still stuck on the idea that women play softball and not baseball. I don't know if many colleges other than Saint Mary's U. in South Bend, Indiana have been approached about starting women's baseball programs. John Kovach, who has been developing girls' and women's baseball in South Bend for several years and who has run the South Bend women's team (the team that started in the 1990's... not the one that played in the AAGPBL), started the women's program at Saint Mary's and plans on helping to develop women's programs at other colleges and universities.

              I do know that there are growing numbers of women playing on men's collegiate and high school baseball teams in the U.S. I was approached by the baseball coach of one a couple of years ago (he asked about my eligibility after he saw me hit and bunt), but I have no interest at this point in my life to go to a college just so I can play baseball. I have more interest in continuing my education to further my career and in attempting to make the national women's baseball team. If I was younger, then I would consider going to the college that asked me about it. I'm perfectly happy playing on women's teams and in things like fantasy camps and in other coed games.

              I do think a lot of people think women would get hurt if they played with men at the collegiate level and higher, and it's obviously a thought that many people think women wouldn't be good enough at those levels. Both of those are myths.

              Yes, women's teams play other women's teams in other women's leagues. There are a lot throughout the U.S. and Canada, and there are umpteen in other countries as well. The numbers of women's and girls' teams continues to grow, not only in the U.S. but in other countries also. There are national women's tourneys in many countries, and there are several women's international competitions, including a women's world championship that started in 2004 which is sanctioned by the IBAF (currently sanctioned through 2012). No need to apologize.

              Did you mean Jenny Finch? I saw her while at the ballpark several times (on the big screen). She's very good at what she does. That's softball. Women are also very good at baseball. The women's portion of the Roy Hobbs World Series in Ft. Myers is a thrill to play in and watch. There's some really good baseball played there, and a lot of the country's best talent can be seen there. I'm sure the women's world championship would be even better to watch (and be part of).

              Hope you enjoy the links and sites. If you have more questions, let me know.

              Comment


              • #8
                Here is the NSW women's site.

                http://www.nswwbl.baseball.com.au/

                Here is a snippet of their grandfinal information page.



                "We are honoured to have AAGPBL legend, Jeneane Lesko, from the league that the movie "A League of Their Own" was based on, throwing out the first pitch.

                In addition the NSW Women's State Team will be presented with their hats before the A Grade game on BOP1.

                PLAY BALL!!!"


                The grandfinals are tomorrow night (Fri night, 9th March). It's a 3 grade competition and I have a daughter in each of the A and B grade grandfinals. I'll be running from one diamond to the other all night! And at the start of the night my A grade daughter will receive her state cap - it'll be a good night - Go Baulko!

                For any NSW people lurking here, come on down to Blacktown Olympic Park for a 7:30 start.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I came across this website:

                  http://alpha.chicagowbl.com/

                  The Chicago Women’s Baseball League is an amateur women’s baseball league whose players hail from all over the Chicagoland area. We welcome all players 14–40+! We are ex-softball players, athletes, moms, students and teenagers. But we all have one thing in common: we love baseball!

                  The Chicago Women’s Baseball League is a program of the Chicago Gems Women’s Baseball Club, an organization dedicated to making baseball as accessible to girls and women as it is to boys and men.

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X