FT Wayne Daisies Juniors, 1946-1963

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FT Wayne Daisies Juniors, 1946-1963

The All-American Girls Professional League formed in 1943 and struggled during the 40's and early 50's before disbanding. In 1946, six of the teams organized Junior teams composed of 15 girls between the ages of 12 and 14.

According to Diana Star Helmer in Belles of the Ballpark, four intramural Junior teams were formed in Racine, WI in 1947 and 100 girls came to the first training sessions. The Junior girls teams often played games at the same ballparks that their older AAGPL counterparts did.

The Ft Wayne Daisies Juniors played from 1946 to 1963. I assume they played mainly against the other Juniors teams in the AAGBL between 1946 and 1954. Then they managed to last another nine seasons on their own. A search on the internet gives no further information about this largely ignored team of girls playing baseball.

I wonder if any of the players ever told someone about their experience and why they kept right on playing after their sister teams folded?
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
    The All-American Girls Professional League formed in 1943 and struggled during the 40's and early 50's before disbanding. In 1946, six of the teams organized Junior teams composed of 15 girls between the ages of 12 and 14.

According to Diana Star Helmer in Belles of the Ballpark, four intramural Junior teams were formed in Racine, WI in 1947 and 100 girls came to the first training sessions. The Junior girls teams often played games at the same ballparks that their older AAGPL counterparts did.

The Ft Wayne Daisies Juniors played from 1946 to 1963. I assume they played mainly against the other Juniors teams in the AAGBL between 1946 and 1954. Then they managed to last another nine seasons on their own. A search on the internet gives no further information about this largely ignored team of girls playing baseball.

I wonder if any of the players ever told someone about their experience and why they kept right on playing after their sister teams folded?
    I know someone who probably has info on that. I believe an all-girls' youth baseball league still exists in Ft. Wayne today. They've been approached by organizers of women's baseball to link up with other girls' leagues, but they have no interest. They want to keep it the way it is. At least, this is what I heard a while back. I will see if I can get more info on it.

Comment

I have a baseball program from the mid 70's about the girl's baseball league in Ft Wayne

Comment

Fort Wayne girls baseball league has been gone awhile. There is a new book just out about the Fort Wayne Daisies. Have not seen a copy but I would guess their is a section on the Junior Daisies.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X