No announcement yet.

Bayonne, NJ girl throws Little League perfect game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what's the difference between a HS type of ball and an MLB type? Harder? Travels faster? Easier to pitch with?
    MLB balls have better quality seams, and they are more raised, making it easier to pitch. They also do seem to be wound a bit more tight.

I was referring to outfielders making the full-body dive for a ball. The guy I'd shown in the pic was an outfielder. If a SS did that, he/she would never get the ball, since it would be in the OF by the time he/she turned around.
    Oh ok, have seen women do this in higher levels of softball, don't see why a woman baseball player wouldn't if necessary.

So you women would do the shift on southpaw hitters? Are there a lot of them in your league? Did it work more successfully, I'm curious? I imagine so, but I'd like to know more.
    We had 4 lefty hitters in our league. Moving the outfield to cover them worked perfectly well. They don't hit opposite way at all. Also had the firstbaseman play off the bag for that one hitter that we always knew would hit grounders.

Sounds like a good game. Is the park where you play 300 ft or 400 ft to the fence or wall?
    We played in Central Park in NYC. No outfield walls. I don't think it would have made a difference if we had outfield walls to be honest.
    We only had a few hitters that can consistently hit a ball far.
    The video that you saw is in Central Park.

How has the women's game improved as far as pitching and catching? Have the pitchers developed greater control? Do they know how to work out of jams better than they did before? Are the catchers studying hitters more than they did before?
    Pitchers are throwing with better control and speed and doing a far better job of holding runners at first. The pitchers are getting into less jams to begin with. For catchers, their overall physical skills have gotten better. They have always taken advantage of hitter's weaknesses.

I'd also be interested in knowing how much stats, videos, computers, etc play a part in the women's games. I mean, do you folks study your opponents' past few games? Scouting reports?
    Women's baseball is such a small community that we mostly know each others habits and abilities by now. A volunteer will usually keep a scorebook to keep track of how well players are hitting and pitching. Our league in 2007 had two teams. We played every sunday from may to august. At best we had 12 games that season.

During a weekend tournament with other leagues in our region, gossip would float around about who's the hot pitcher or hitter that weekend.

I wrote a post on the amateur board about how I took advantage of a tired catcher, cause the silly girl bragged to me that she caught all her team's games. Her fourth game was against us and due to her tiredness we won that game.

The first thing I do when seeing a new team is find out who can throw a ball, and then who can field it.

That's OK. You usually get mostly singles like that? Drive in someone from 2B? Do you get an occasional double when you place the ball correctly?
    Only get doubles if I cream the ball over the outfielder's heads. If there are runners on 2nd and 3rd a hard hit single to the outfield usually scores both. I get all excited when bases are loaded and I got a bat in my hands.

Nice pictures. I'm wondering why the guy in the video said something about the women's poor playing. Was he just being sarcastic, or did he really think that the women's game was not of the same quality (or anywhere near the same)?
    Watched the video over didn't hear them say that?! One of the players commented that guys on opposing teams would say, "let's get the home run derby started" We had no control of what they would put in that video.

Comment

Originally posted by knick9 View Post
      *sighs* and she will be forgotten years down the road because of the current setup that we have in the baseball world.

I'm glad to hear that she threw a no-hitter, though. That's an impressive feat, no doubt. It's a good story for her to tell later on.
      Last edited by MSUlaxer27; 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

A 12-year-old girl in Florida just pitched her SECOND perfect Little League game. Pretty darn cool: http://plantcity2.tbo.com/content/20...econd-perfect/

Comment

I have a never-been-used Optima Gold autographed hardball signed by Lefty Hohlmayer who pitched for the Kenosha Comets from 60 years ago. The ball is 12.25" in circumferance, about 3.5 inches in diameter. She signed it for me in a SABR meeting some years ago. I also have another ball signed by several unknown gals that was won at a raffle at my wife's college. It's the exact size, older, yellowed, but not marred.
          At the SABR meeting, we were shown colored home movies of the women in action, very impressive, and I think important.

Comment

Hey there. Would someone kindly mind reply to this thread, which I believe is somewhat related in scope? It's under the "Between Innings" forum, and relates to women playing Minor League baseball. It seems somewhat related to some of the scope in this thread.

Thank you all kindly.

-Brad
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I was thinking about these two girls earlier today and wondering if they stayed with baseball.

Chelsea Baker has a Facebook page that hasn't been updated much in the past couple years. I can't find anything about Mackenzie Brown from after the perfect game. My Google skills aren't always the best, so maybe I'm missing some stuff.

Does anyone know if either of these two are still pitching, or playing baseball at all?
              Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Originally posted by vptpt View Post
                I was thinking about these two girls earlier today and wondering if they stayed with baseball.

Chelsea Baker has a Facebook page that hasn't been updated much in the past couple years. I can't find anything about Mackenzie Brown from after the perfect game. My Google skills aren't always the best, so maybe I'm missing some stuff.

Does anyone know if either of these two are still pitching, or playing baseball at all?
                Last year MacKenzie Bwown hit .125 in limited appearances on a losing high school softball team. In the preseason article she was not noted as a player to watch. Since girls physically mature much faster than boys good softball players usually start as freshmen. When a weak frehsman makes the roster and doesn't play it's usually the sign of a weak program.

Comment

Chelsea Baker is playing LL Jrs. It's the two years that follow LL. Most of the boys at this level were cut from their middle school teams and couldn't make travel teams. I couldn't find anything on the middle school baseball or softball teams.

Look at 6th grade and 7yh grade class pictures. The tall kids in the back rows are the girls. They physically mature sooner. It's why some girls perform well against boys until high school. In high school when the girls are two inches taller and the boys are a foot taller it's all over for the girls. They've lost their competitive edge due to lack of physical strength versus the boys.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X