First woman MLB player - when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Macker View Post
    That's nice. So a couple of guys were aces. One got a scholarship, and one is a walk-on. They aren't women, though, are they? And if they were, would they be able to pitch every four or five days? I wonder if you realize that throwing a knuckler and a 75 MPH is more strenuous than playing whiffleball in the backyard.
    Ask Chelsea Baker. She does it all day long. And you said throwing a KB at 75. I said 65. Yes, girls can do that all day. Do you throw a KB? This is what I know and I've been around top female baseball athletes. I'll flat out say that YES a woman is capable of this. Will it happen, most likely not for the other reasons I've mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by clayadams View Post
      Ask Chelsea Baker. She does it all day long. And you said throwing a KB at 75. I said 65. Yes, girls can do that all day. Do you throw a KB? This is what I know and I've been around top female baseball athletes. I'll flat out say that YES a woman is capable of this. Will it happen, most likely not for the other reasons I've mentioned.
      Ok, she can knuckleball..... Will she have the arm strength to get it past hitters? No way of telling at her age
      MySpace Codes

Comment

And you said throwing a KB at 75.
        No, I didn't.

Do you throw a KB?
        No. I don't play. (I'm kinda old.) Never pitched much in baseball, and I didn't throw a knuckler. I played around with it in major division softball with very limited success. (I could take the rotation off the ball, but I couldn't get much movement on it. It was usually a floating meatball yelling, "Hit me!")

Ask Chelsea Baker. She does it all day long.
        But does she, or can she, do it all day long every fourth or fifth day? There are many prospects who fizzle out in the minors, and most players in the minor leagues really aren't even major league prospects. Baker isn't even at that level.

Comment

• I apologize. You didn't say that. My fault for typing on a phone. Keep in mind though, a knuckleball pitcher typically throws the KB 80% of the time. A woman wouldn't be throwing their fastball like a regular pitcher. There's also a reason guys like Neikro, Hough, and Candiotti pitched into their late 40s and 50s... because the pitch is east on their arms! Still, it's all conjecture at this point and you're certainly on the winning side of the bet. I simply see it as possible, just not probable.

Comment

• Yes its possible....but very,very,very,very,very unlikely.
            You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the $%#%! plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Comment

• to throw a knuckler at 70 (a knuckler needs a certain base speed before the air attacks it or it won't knuckle, that is why 12U knucklers are not effective) you need to be able to throw a FB at least 80 if not more. RA dickey can throw 85-86 with his FB. I don't see a woman doing it.

If a woman ever throws 90 I'm all for her pitching in the majors but not just because she is a woman. you need to be able to compete.
              I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Originally posted by dominik View Post
                to throw a knuckler at 70 (a knuckler needs a certain base speed before the air attacks it or it won't knuckle, that is why 12U knucklers are not effective) you need to be able to throw a FB at least 80 if not more. RA dickey can throw 85-86 with his FB. I don't see a woman doing it.

If a woman ever throws 90 I'm all for her pitching in the majors but not just because she is a woman. you need to be able to compete.
                Dom, I don't think you know much about the KB. Wakefield's FASTBALL averaged low 70's. His average KB was in the low 60's. The KB "dances" the most in the low to mid 60's. The faster it gets, ala R.A.'s KB, the less it will dance. It typically takes a sharp, late break. If you want to really break down the KB, let's do it in another thread. Short to say, a woman doing what R.A. does would be hard. A woman doing what Wakefield did would be far more possible. They are 2 massively different pitchers.

Oh, a KB at even 45mph will still do things.

Comment

• This book may answer some questions about why women were "forced" into softball and not allowed to play baseball.

http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Bases-A.../dp/0252032829
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                    This book may answer some questions about why women were "forced" into softball and not allowed to play baseball.

http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-Bases-A.../dp/0252032829
                    I read this book, it is pretty interesting
                    Go Yankees

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimarco View Post
                      I read this book, it is pretty interesting
                      What was interesting about it?
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Dom, I don't think you know much about the KB. Wakefield's FASTBALL averaged low 70's. His average KB was in the low 60's. The KB "dances" the most in the low to mid 60's. The faster it gets, ala R.A.'s KB, the less it will dance. It typically takes a sharp, late break. If you want to really break down the KB, let's do it in another thread. Short to say, a woman doing what R.A. does would be hard. A woman doing what Wakefield did would be far more possible. They are 2 massively different pitchers.

Oh, a KB at even 45mph will still do things.
                        Was it Charlie Hough who threw his knuckler in the 50s and sometimes 40s?
                        "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Women can throw a ball under-handed as well as men, but, I've never seen a woman throw over-handed as well as a man. Biologically, their elbow and shoulder joints aren't aligned properly to throw over-hand....

Perhaps a transgendered woman like Rene Richards will attempt to play in the MLB someday.

I suspect we could see the 1st genetic woman ball player someday if/when steroids are made legal....But, she'll still throw like a girl.

Comment

• Originally posted by tom3 View Post
                            Women can throw a ball under-handed as well as men
                            No, they can't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macker View Post
                              No, they can't.
                              Are you sure about that? I've seen some women softball pitchers throw rising fastballs that reach triple digits.

Comment

• Can you quantify that? How many women softball pitchers have you seen reach triple digits? How many mens major division fast pitch pitchers have you ever seen? Very few reach triple digits. Why is it I don't see any college pitchers throw faster than the low 70s? Just who, and where, do those female pitchers leave college and start throwing triple digits?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X