Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First woman MLB player - when?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

    Why sign Florence Griffith Joyner? Her 10.49 100 meter is still the women’s record. Every boys high school state champion could beat her.
    Every boys high school state champion won't draw one extra person to an Oakland Coliseum that only has a couple thousand in attendance.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by wes_kahn View Post

      Every boys high school state champion won't draw one extra person to an Oakland Coliseum that only has a couple thousand in attendance.
      Neither would Joyner. People aren’t going to attend a baseball to see if my chance she might pinch run. But it wouldn’t help the A’s win. She woukd t be fast enough. She wouldn’t have base running skills. As it was Herb Washington was a terrible base runner. He lacked instincts. He was only successful on 64%of his steal attempts.

      Comment


      • Teams also don't carry pinch runners/hitters anymore because they prefer to use that spot for an extra bullpen pitcher. In these days as a bench player you have to be able to play at least two, better 3 positions unless you are a catcher.

        teams used to have 15 hitters and 10 pitchers, now it is 13 hitters and sometimes even only 12.
        I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

        Comment


        • Before Herb Washington, Allan Lewis was a little better at this position. He was super fast and maybe if he had been signed at a younger age, he might have been what Finley really wanted. However, if you take the fastest female American sprinter of the time, Finley would have been the only owner to try this. I don't know if you ever heard of the name Penny Early. She was a really good jockey that had a lot of races at Churchill Downs and Keeneland. She was about five foot three.

          The Kentucky Colonels were having a tough time selling tickets to their ABA games at the old Louisville Gardens. Kentucky had Dan Issel and Mike Pratt. Louisville had Wes Unseld. The Colonels signed Early, and she actually played in a regular season game for the Colonels. She didn't do much, maybe just inbounded the ball, and then they called timeout and removed her, but because there were rumors she would play, the Louisville Gardens had a lot more fans.

          Finley owned an ABA franchise, and I am sure he took note of the fact that this ploy worked in Louisville for the Colonels. I could have seen him do this with a female track star in September some year, maybe in the late 1970's, like when he had just 250 in attendance at a game.

          Comment


          • Q: First woman MLB player - when?

            A: Never.

            It's a preposterous notion. Women and men cannot compete equally on a sports field. It's called anatomy & biology.
            Females are not males. Females cannot compete athletically with males. End of story.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by SaltyParker View Post
              Q: First woman MLB player - when?

              A: Never.

              It's a preposterous notion. Women and men cannot compete equally on a sports field. It's called anatomy & biology.
              Females are not males. Females cannot compete athletically with males. End of story.
              The Me-Too movement will push for it, maybe. I can see some team signing a woman for the interest it would cause. It reminds me of the Eddie Gaedel ploy back in 1951.

              Comment


              • My feelings are that a) it will not require men and women to compete equally (which is an impossibility) for one outstanding woman to be given a chance - especially in light of the fact that an AL Pitcher only has to excel in one aspect of the game to succeed well enough. They wouldn't have to be a superstar - they'd only have to be good enough to be given a chance; and b) I really can't see the #metoo movement pushing for it. Why would they? Other than falling under the vague heading of "feminist," what would the two have in common? Their agenda has nothing whatsoever to do with physical equality.
                Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

                1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

                Comment



                • Mary Elizabeth Murphy (April 13, 1894 - July 27, 1964), known as the "Baseball Queen", was the first woman to play professional baseball in 1922, competing with male athletes.
                  UstradeEnt

                  Comment


                  • Did she spell in really big letters, too?

                    Comment


                    • I'm very late to this thread as a noobie.

                      This will never happen. This thread started around the 2012 London Olympics and I've seen Jessica Ennis sited at a potential body type and skill set that could make this possible.

                      I'm a huge track and field fiend. Huge. Every year there are 100's and 1000's of boys and men who are in the 5'5 130 pounds range who ran faster and jump further than Ennis' PRs. Sone can run way faster and jump way farther. If one of them could make it in the MLB, they would. We'd know about it because it would be noteworthy. Altuve is noteworthy and he's 5'5" 165 or more.

                      If some 5'5" 130 guy could throw the Knuckle and get paid $millions to do it, he would be doing it.

                      Beyond a Gaedel-like stunt it won't happen. Every weird "what if" that could maybe, possibly get a woman in the MLB finds itself being represented in thousands and possibly millions of boys and men every year.

                      I know in 2021 there's a bizarre push to say that men and women are the same. This is obviously nonsense and sports proves it all the time.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                        I'm very late to this thread as a noobie.

                        This will never happen. This thread started around the 2012 London Olympics and I've seen Jessica Ennis sited at a potential body type and skill set that could make this possible.

                        I'm a huge track and field fiend. Huge. Every year there are 100's and 1000's of boys and men who are in the 5'5 130 pounds range who ran faster and jump further than Ennis' PRs. Sone can run way faster and jump way farther. If one of them could make it in the MLB, they would. We'd know about it because it would be noteworthy. Altuve is noteworthy and he's 5'5" 165 or more.

                        If some 5'5" 130 guy could throw the Knuckle and get paid $millions to do it, he would be doing it.

                        Beyond a Gaedel-like stunt it won't happen. Every weird "what if" that could maybe, possibly get a woman in the MLB finds itself being represented in thousands and possibly millions of boys and men every year.

                        I know in 2021 there's a bizarre push to say that men and women are the same. This is obviously nonsense and sports proves it all the time.
                        Is it possible you're conflating equal pay for equal work with physical prowess? Of course men and women are physically different and generally shouldn't compete in athletics. But there's nothing bizarre about intellectual gender equality.
                        Put it in the books.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by milladrive View Post

                          Is it possible you're conflating equal pay for equal work with physical prowess? Of course men and women are physically different and generally shouldn't compete in athletics. But there's nothing bizarre about intellectual gender equality.
                          No. There's a pretty strong push in some circles to blur or even deny even the physical differences between men and women

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                            No. There's a pretty strong push in some circles to blur or even deny even the physical differences between men and women
                            I'd be interested in (and entertained by) debating those circles.
                            Put it in the books.

                            Comment


                            • Yeah, I have to say as the starter of this thread that this is he crux of the question to me - the differences are undeniable, I think...but are they too big to be overcome? It's not just a matter of size or upper body strength - I think a pitcher with enough finesse is a possibility.

                              I haven't really seen those circles of which scott speaks, not to deny they exist. But I do remember somebody early on here insinuating that recognizing the physical differences is somehow sexist. I don't find that to be true.
                              Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

                              1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X