Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First woman MLB player - when?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by PLowry View Post
    There are dozens of obstacles to surmount before there is a Women's Major League Baseball (WMLB), building on the success of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA).

    One of the most important obstacles was passed last week in Brooklyn, New York during the World Classic's fourth and final Qualifier, as Justine Siegal was officially on the roster and in uniform (as # 15)
    as a Coach for the Israeli National Team, which went 3-0 to sweep the Qualifier.

    I think this is more important that getting one female player a spot on an MLB roster, because it would provide baseball player jobs to roughly 25 players per team times 8 teams =
    200 players.
    I agree with this 100%. Why is there this obsession with getting a woman into the majors? I'd rather see a women's MLB to see quality women's baseball.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

    Comment


    • One more obstacle to professional major league baseball has crumbled.

      The National Women's Hockey League (NWHL) began play today with
      four team - Boston Pride, Buffalo Beauts, Connecticut Whale, and New York
      Riveters.

      The Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) started in 1996.

      The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) began in 2012, preceded by
      Women's Professional Soccer in 2007.

      So only football and baseball remain without a women's league.

      Comment


      • FWIW: The Solheim Cup is a biennial golf tournament for professional women golfers contested by teams representing Europe and the United States. It is named after the Norwegian-American golf club manufacturer Karsten Solheim, who was a driving force behind its creation.

        The inaugural Cup was held in 1990, and the event was staged in even number years until 2002, alternating years with the Ryder Cup (the equivalent men's event). As part of the general reshuffling of team golf events after the one-year postponement of the 2001 Ryder Cup following the September 11 attacks, the Solheim Cup switched to odd numbered years beginning in 2003.

        The current holders are the U.S. who won at Golf Club St. Leon-Rot in Baden-Württemberg, Germany in 2015. The next contest will be at the Des Moines Golf and Country Club in West Des Moines, Iowa from 18 to 20 August 2017.
        Check us out at http://baseballtalk.freeforums.org/i...50ac174cd8970f

        Comment


        • It's not that I have a strong personal feeling about it, but it's kind of surprising to me that there hasn't at least been a high-level, as in Major League level, league of women. I mean, the WNBA was quite popular for a while... might still be, for all I know (I haven't followed basketball in years). And MMA is way more physically intense than baseball, yet women's MMA has sometimes even exceeded men's MMA in popularity, at least judging from promotion of it. And I'm pretty sure that women's soccer is more popular in the United States than men's soccer, mainly because USA men's soccer has never really been that successful internationally.

          I'm into a small ball style of play, so frankly, I would definitely welcome any woman who could play Ichiro-style baseball. The main difference, physically, is upper body strength, but that matters mainly if slugging is emphasized, and I think slugging is overrated. Women could also field and run pretty much as well as men. Since I value mainly singles, fielding and running, I wouldn't consider there to be a substantial difference between men's baseball and women's baseball as baseball should be played. It's only if high numbers of home runs are a requirement that it would be a major issue, and baseball is at its best when home runs are merely incidental. At any rate, I'm thinking this woman would have a strong throwing arm in the outfield:

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FHsAHZPok
          "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."- Oscar Gamble

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Happy Chimp View Post
            It's not that I have a strong personal feeling about it, but it's kind of surprising to me that there hasn't at least been a high-level, as in Major League level, league of women. I mean, the WNBA was quite popular for a while... might still be, for all I know (I haven't followed basketball in years). And MMA is way more physically intense than baseball, yet women's MMA has sometimes even exceeded men's MMA in popularity, at least judging from promotion of it. And I'm pretty sure that women's soccer is more popular in the United States than men's soccer, mainly because USA men's soccer has never really been that successful internationally.

            I'm into a small ball style of play, so frankly, I would definitely welcome any woman who could play Ichiro-style baseball. The main difference, physically, is upper body strength, but that matters mainly if slugging is emphasized, and I think slugging is overrated. Women could also field and run pretty much as well as men. Since I value mainly singles, fielding and running, I wouldn't consider there to be a substantial difference between men's baseball and women's baseball as baseball should be played. It's only if high numbers of home runs are a requirement that it would be a major issue, and baseball is at its best when home runs are merely incidental. At any rate, I'm thinking this woman would have a strong throwing arm in the outfield:

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FHsAHZPok


            Throwing a baseball is dramatically different than tossing a weight like that woman did in your clip. I actually think with more international players coming, we're even farther away from ever seeing a female MLB player. The physical challenges are still daunting, because fielding does require both lower and upper body strength. The reason we don't see a high level baseball league for women is because of the success of softball. Softball is a successful, different entity than baseball, and there just isn't enough interest to convert high school and college softball programs to baseball.

            The physical differences between men and women at the highest level are tremendous. Serena Williams is the GOAT female tennis player, and would be defeated by the 500th ranked men's player. The UConn women basketball team would lose to a NAIA men's hoops program.

            Comment


            • It's already happened.

              There were at least three women players in the professional Negro LeaguesToni Stone, Mamie Johnson and Connie Morgan.
              .


              19th Century League Champion
              1900s League Champion
              1910s League Champion

              1930s League Division Winner
              1950s League Champion
              1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
              1960s League Division Winner
              1970s League Champion
              1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
              1980s League Champion
              All Time Greats League Champion

              Comment


              • Since the current sports lineup for girls / women in the developmental years is massively tilted to softball, the best potential baseball prospects among females almost always concentrate on softball.

                Baseball and softball are obviously similar sports evolved from common ancestors, and some skills would transfer over, but others would not. At some point any female wishing to try out for professional baseball would have to quit softball and concentrate strictly on baseball.

                Strictly on a basis of personal satisfaction, few women would want to quit softball, where presumably they would be outstanding to dominant, to play baseball in which they would struggle to even be average.

                Theyd have to be willing to do this for several years, PLUS deal with discrimination/ resistance within baseball, and in the end their best case scenario would probably be to be a replacement-level utility player.

                And unlike the entry of African-American, Latino or Asian players, the “first female” wouldn’t really be opening the gates for anybody— given the differences in physiology, it would still be astronomically unlikely there would ever be more than a couple female players in organized baseball.
                Last edited by StarStar00; 05-20-2018, 03:23 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by StarStar00 View Post
                  Since the current sports lineup for girls / women in the developmental years is massively tilted to softball, the best potential baseball prospects among females almost always concentrate on softball.

                  Baseball and softball are obviously similar sports evolved from common ancestors, and some skills would transfer over, but others would not. At some point any female wishing to try out for professional baseball would have to quit softball and concentrate strictly on baseball.

                  Strictly on a basis of personal satisfaction, few women would want to quit softball, where presumably they would be outstanding to dominant, to play baseball in which they would struggle to even be average.

                  Theyd have to be willing to do this for several years, PLUS deal with discrimination/ resistance within baseball, and in the end their best case scenario would probably be to be a replacement-level utility player.

                  And unlike the entry of African-American, Latino or Asian players, the “first female” wouldn’t really be opening the gates for anybody— given the differences in physiology, it would still be astronomically unlikely there would ever be more than a couple female players in organized baseball.


                  And there isn't any good reason for girls to deviate from softball to baseball, the interest just isn't there. Softball has been extremely successful for girls, helping them with the same valuable life lessens as other team sports, along with scholarship possibilities after high school. Just don't see it at the MLB level, the skill level is a bigger problem than resistance, in my view.

                  Comment


                  • I have seen people in this thread citing the WNBA as a "success". Has that league not lost money in every year of its existence? The only reason the WNBA exists is due to charity from the NBA for PR reaaons. If the WNBA had to subsist on its own merits, the league would fold tomorrow. It is unwatchable.
                    My top 10 players:

                    1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                      I have seen people in this thread citing the WNBA as a "success". Has that league not lost money in every year of its existence? The only reason the WNBA exists is due to charity from the NBA for PR reaaons. If the WNBA had to subsist on its own merits, the league would fold tomorrow. It is unwatchable.
                      And only like 3 players have ever dunked iirc. That's really lame.

                      Comment


                      • brilliant!

                        Comment


                        • This might have already happened had Charlie Finley ever met a female olympic sprinter to be his next Allan Lewis or Herb Washington. As a pinch runner, somebody like Florence Griffith Joyner might have had a chance to play in September in a past season.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by wes_kahn View Post
                            This might have already happened had Charlie Finley ever met a female olympic sprinter to be his next Allan Lewis or Herb Washington. As a pinch runner, somebody like Florence Griffith Joyner might have had a chance to play in September in a past season.
                            Why sign Florence Griffith Joyner? Her 10.49 100 meter is still the women’s record. Every boys high school state champion could beat her.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JettSixty View Post

                              Why sign Florence Griffith Joyner? Her 10.49 100 meter is still the women’s record. Every boys high school state champion could beat her.
                              Every boys high school state champion won't draw one extra person to an Oakland Coliseum that only has a couple thousand in attendance.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by wes_kahn View Post

                                Every boys high school state champion won't draw one extra person to an Oakland Coliseum that only has a couple thousand in attendance.
                                Neither would Joyner. People aren’t going to attend a baseball to see if my chance she might pinch run. But it wouldn’t help the A’s win. She woukd t be fast enough. She wouldn’t have base running skills. As it was Herb Washington was a terrible base runner. He lacked instincts. He was only successful on 64%of his steal attempts.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X