First woman MLB player - when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
    If you're as fast as 50% of baseball players, then I'm darn sure that you could outrun many offensive lineman.
    DOH... good point. You can tell I don't follow football.

Laser Beam, the other guys made my point for me. The strongest men will always be stronger than the strongest women, at least until we start messing with DNA. I simply think that the strongest and fastest men aren't usually in baseball. Therefore, one of the strongest and fastest women could possibly make it and be on par with the average men. Then, it would come down to skill. All of this is truly hypothetical as there simply aren't but a handful of girls that continue with baseball past 8/9yo... heck t-ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      You are probably referring to Japanese knuckleball pitcher Eri Yoshida.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=yoshid001eri

She's pitched in the North American League. In 78 IP she has 17 K's and 57 BB's with a 7.62 ERA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]118088[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]118089[/ATTACH]
      No. She was an American.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Double Post
        Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Double Post
          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-11-2013, 09:53 AM.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by clayadams View Post
            This topic has been discussed in depth in the coaching 101 forum. It always seems to get rather heated. There are a lot of factors at play here. Number one, in my opinion, is that "Girls play softball, boys play baseball." Girls, from the start, are pretty much pushed into softball. The culture of this country doesn't even give a girl much of a chance. Second, is the obvious, girls aren't physically as strong as guys. However, this is one where I sit back and think. Baseball players don't do much "training" when it comes to peak athleticism. You have a handful of guys that could be olympic sprint runners, but that's the smallest of the smallest minority. I'd be willing to bet I can squat and curl more than 90% of all baseball players, and run with at least half of them. I don't think I could outrun ANY pro football player. Baseball is a lot more about skill and finesse than power. Power does play a role, but not like any other sport. So, I do believe there are woman, that if they were dedicated enough, could do it. That can be argued till the cows come home as it's a matter of opinion.
            Granted, baseball doesn't require as pure athleticism as football and basketball. But it does require a certain level of athleticism that does separate men from women. Bill James once said that baseball is more akin to golf than a decathlon. So lets look at golf. How much athleticism does playing golf require? On the surface it seems is mostly a game of skill. Yet the best LPGA players cannot compete with the best male golfers on the PGA Tour. Annika Sörenstam is one of the LPGA's greatest players ever. She's won more tournaments and more money on the LPGA Tour than another woman in LPGA Tour history. In 2003 she was invited to play in the Bank of America Colonial in Fort Worth, Texas, a PGA event. Sörenstam became the first woman to play in a PGA Tour event since 1945. Mind you Sörenstam was invited, she didn't qualify for this tournamant which miffed some male PGA pros. Sörenstam played and she got crushed. She missed the cut and finished tied for 96th out of 111 golfers. Sörenstam was at the height of her career (only 32 years old), one the LPGA's greatest players, and she simply couldn't compete against the top men. Part of the reason is that her drives were well short of the male golfers. And this is tied to physical strength which part of athleticism. And this was after Sörenstam had lifted weights for a several years to increase her drives.

Back in 2000, Sorenstam started a serious weight-training program. Her trainer, Kai Fusser, focused on upper body and core strength, and lengthened her drives. This prompted her competitors to hit the weight room just to stay in contention.

SOURCE
            Why would a golfer light weights if golf is simply a game of skill? Why has Tiger Woods lifted some much weights that he looks like an NFL defensive back? It seems pro golfers believe lifting weights will make them better golfers.

tiger-woods.jpg

Getting back to baseball, ther athleticism required to play baseball is what separates men from women. Only a great female athlete could have the requiste base athleticism to play baseball with the men IMO. I still believe a female slap hitting second baseman than can really run would have the best chance. Some girl with Jesica Ennis athletic ability and off the charts baseball skills is still my chioce. A woman can't compete with the men in terms of strength. A woman is more likely to compete with men in terms of speed and explosiveness, hence the slap hitter with speed. Ennis is an explosive athlete. She's high jumped 6'5" which is a foot above he head. She's the British national record holder in the high jump. She's got world class sprinter speed and she is the British national record holder in the women's 100 meter hurdles as well. At only 5'5" Ennis would have a tiny strike zone like Jose Altuve does.
            Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

double post

Comment

Honus, one thing that differs from baseball to golf is that hitting a "home run" isn't expected of every player. You simply have to get the ball in play. There will be no girls the equal of Albert. I don't even know if a girl can hit well enough to get the ball in play such as a slap hitter. I do believe there are girls out there, alive, with the genetics capable. I just don't think we'll see them on the field... because "Girls play softball." As well, a girl would have to be unbelievable determined to put in so much more training than any man does.

Again, my #1 thought of a girl making it lies with a knuckleball pitcher. Hitting not required, and top tier athleticism of any kind not required. Wakefield did it throwing an avg in the 60's. There are TONS of girls that do that. I don't think we'll ever see it. I simply choose to believe there are girls out there in the world "capable".

Comment

??????????
                  Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 11-11-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I honestly hope you're right Goofball.

Comment

Originally posted by Capital City Goofball View Post
                      Women playing baseball professionally has absolutely nothing to do with the physical attributes they possess. I work for a women's professional softball team and as I watch these ladies play, I honestly believe, if you can teach them to hit a breaking ball and allow them to find their throwing range on a baseball field, then any one of these ballplayers could hold their own against men.
                      Any one of them? Being that you work for a women's professional softball team, I think you might be a little biased. A lot, actually. Have you ever seen the times for men/women in the 100m dash?

2012 Olympics 100m sprint - 1st place woman - 10.75.
                      2012 Olympics 100m sprint - 7th place man - 9.98.

Yes, track is not baseball, but if there were baseball throwing and hitting competitions between men and women, the men would dominate the women in that too.

How about golf, bowling, basketball, and weightlifting? Same thing. Do you see a pattern here?

If you honestly believe it comes down to physical strength, here is an example against that perception. Dorothy “Boots” Klupping (later Ortman), a member of the Illinois ASA Hall of Fame, who played one season in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League for the Racine Belles, once hit a 306' 4” homerun out of Soldier Field during the World's Softball Tournament in Chicago. To my knowledge, that is still the longest home run ever hit in softball. Klupping is not large, in fact she was very small and petite. Take into consideration the fact that the 12-inch softball they used was much heavier than the current ball, that is still a remarkable feat of “strength” from such a petite young woman.
                      If a petite woman hit a ball 306', I'm quite sure a male could have hit the same ball at least 350' back then. FWIW, men routinely hit 450'+ HRs these days, albeit with better bats/balls.
                      Last edited by ipitch; 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

??????????
                        Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 11-11-2013, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I think you miss my point completely. I'll repeat it again women playing baseball professionally has absolutely nothing to do with the physical attributes they possess. Yes a few men might be able to run faster or hit farther, but a woman can still hit a ball 300 feet. Just because it didn't travel as far as a man's homer shouldn't disqualify her from anything, she still did her job as a hitter. Besides, there are only a handful of men with homerun power. Out of the 627 players that qualified in the American League last season, only 99 players hit double digit homeruns, that's only 15%. A hall-of-famer said it best:

[ATTACH]118357[/ATTACH]

Plus in your example, just because the top female sprinter couldn't beat seven men doesn't automatically mean all men are suddenly faster and it doesn't mean she is not good at what she does. She is probably 80% or 90% faster than a good majority of males. I also might be a little biased but I am also a rational thinker. Women's professional softball only has four teams so each ballclub has the best of the best playing for them. If you watch a game from batting practice to the final out you will see they do almost everything the same as men do. They take as many/or more check swings during batting practice as men do, they dive in the dirt for grounders, they turn double plays, they slide into the bases, collide into each other, and they hit and often times bunt better, than most baseball players. With that kind of drive and determination you want to tell me again that they wouldn't make good baseball players if given more of an opportunity?
                          You are not comparing the top women to any men. You are trying to compare the top women to the top men. I am certain the top women could kick my butt. But they would get theirs kicked by the top men.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

???????????
                            Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 11-11-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Plus in your example, just because the top female sprinter couldn't beat seven men doesn't automatically mean all men are suddenly faster and it doesn't mean she is not good at what she does. She is probably 80% or 90% faster than a good majority of males.
                              The top female sprinter not only didn't beat the 7th best male, she wasn't even in the same zip code as him. She probably couldn't even beat the 1,000th fastest male sprinter. That's is how much better males are.

Women's professional softball only has four teams so each ballclub has the best of the best playing for them. If you watch a game from batting practice to the final out you will see they do almost everything the same as men do.
                              They do, but they don't do it nearly as well. They hit with less power, their throws are slower, they run slower, and they don't jump as high. That's the point. Plus, those women are playing against other women, right? Just because a woman hits a 250' line-drive, it doesn't mean she could do the same vs. a male pitcher.

Your "any one of these (women) ballplayers could hold their own against men" statement is ridiculous. They can't do it in other sports, so what makes you think they could do it in baseball? Yes, women don't play much baseball, but they do play a lot of basketball, track, hockey, etc. and the best women aren't even close to being good enough to compete with the men.

Comment

???????????
                                Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 11-11-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X