No announcement yet.

First woman MLB player - when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teams also don't carry pinch runners/hitters anymore because they prefer to use that spot for an extra bullpen pitcher. In these days as a bench player you have to be able to play at least two, better 3 positions unless you are a catcher.

teams used to have 15 hitters and 10 pitchers, now it is 13 hitters and sometimes even only 12.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Before Herb Washington, Allan Lewis was a little better at this position. He was super fast and maybe if he had been signed at a younger age, he might have been what Finley really wanted. However, if you take the fastest female American sprinter of the time, Finley would have been the only owner to try this. I don't know if you ever heard of the name Penny Early. She was a really good jockey that had a lot of races at Churchill Downs and Keeneland. She was about five foot three.

The Kentucky Colonels were having a tough time selling tickets to their ABA games at the old Louisville Gardens. Kentucky had Dan Issel and Mike Pratt. Louisville had Wes Unseld. The Colonels signed Early, and she actually played in a regular season game for the Colonels. She didn't do much, maybe just inbounded the ball, and then they called timeout and removed her, but because there were rumors she would play, the Louisville Gardens had a lot more fans.

Finley owned an ABA franchise, and I am sure he took note of the fact that this ploy worked in Louisville for the Colonels. I could have seen him do this with a female track star in September some year, maybe in the late 1970's, like when he had just 250 in attendance at a game.

Comment

• Q: First woman MLB player - when?

A: Never.

It's a preposterous notion. Women and men cannot compete equally on a sports field. It's called anatomy & biology.
        Females are not males. Females cannot compete athletically with males. End of story.

Comment

• Originally posted by SaltyParker View Post
          Q: First woman MLB player - when?

A: Never.

It's a preposterous notion. Women and men cannot compete equally on a sports field. It's called anatomy & biology.
          Females are not males. Females cannot compete athletically with males. End of story.
          The Me-Too movement will push for it, maybe. I can see some team signing a woman for the interest it would cause. It reminds me of the Eddie Gaedel ploy back in 1951.

Comment

• My feelings are that a) it will not require men and women to compete equally (which is an impossibility) for one outstanding woman to be given a chance - especially in light of the fact that an AL Pitcher only has to excel in one aspect of the game to succeed well enough. They wouldn't have to be a superstar - they'd only have to be good enough to be given a chance; and b) I really can't see the #metoo movement pushing for it. Why would they? Other than falling under the vague heading of "feminist," what would the two have in common? Their agenda has nothing whatsoever to do with physical equality.
            Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Comment

• Mary Elizabeth Murphy (April 13, 1894 - July 27, 1964), known as the "Baseball Queen", was the first woman to play professional baseball in 1922, competing with male athletes.
              UstradeEnt

Comment

• Did she spell in really big letters, too?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X