X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless, of course, you're a pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanyhatz View Post
      There shouldn't be. It's physically measureable and even the most radical feminists I know acknowledge that it's so.

Were it used as a reason to keep a qualified woman from playing, that would be sexism. Acknowledging physical differences is rational.
      It doesn't seem that way. I mean, we're basically saying that "women aren't as strong as men" and thus are keeping them from playing because of this. In what way is that not sexist?
      It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
        It doesn't seem that way. I mean, we're basically saying that "women aren't as strong as men" and thus are keeping them from playing because of this. In what way is that not sexist?
        You're putting two ideas together here. "Women aren't as physically strong as men"- proven biological fact. "Thus they are not qualified to play Major League Baseball"- an opinion, and potentially a sexist one.
        Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2017?

Comment

So can't women still play even if they might not be as strong? Strength isn't everything.
          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

So can't women still play even if they might not be as strong? Strength isn't everything.
            Women can play if they are good enough to play. Do you know of any major league caliber female baseball players?
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

^ Uh huh. So if a woman tried out for a MLB team right now, do you think anyone would let her?

Comment

^ Uh huh. So if a woman tried out for a MLB team right now, do you think anyone would let her?
                So if I wanted to try our for my favorite team, the San Francisco Giants, would they let me? If I was good enough I sure they would. If there was a female ballplayer with major league potential I'm sure teams would look at her.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I still don't understand why it's not sexist to say that women aren't as strong as men.

I mean, saying it like that is just a less overtly offensive way of calling women "the weaker sex". And haven't we moved beyond that?

How can equality have any meaning if it's not absolute?

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                  If there was a female ballplayer with major league potential I'm sure teams would look at her.
                  So there is no flat-out rule that forbids a woman from trying out for a major league team, today, like right now? That's something, anyway.
                  Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I honestly think a team would eat up a potential female MLB player. She'd be like the Danica of the racing world. Good enough to race, not even close to the best, but still a money maker in a massive way. MLB is about money, and a female ball player would make MILLLLLLIONS, especially if she was good enough to play and not just be a novelty. So yes, I think a female that was good enough would get the chance. This isn't 1950 anymore.

Comment

I still don't understand why it's not sexist to say that women aren't as strong as men.
                      I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi, but your triple negative sentence has kinda thrown me off. Are you saying it's sexist to say women aren't as strong as men?

Let me start off by saying (if it's not already clear) that I'm all for a female reaching the MLB. I think it's theoretically possible. I have a preteen daughter that plays baseball and loves it with every bone in her body. She wants nothing to do with softball. With that said, it's simple fact to say that women aren't as strong as men. Sure, there are SOME women that are stronger than SOME men. However, in general, men have that whole testosterone advantage. That's why a male gorilla can rip a man, literally, limb from limb. Everything he eats turns into pure testosterone. Men produce, on average 10x more testosterone than women. Therefore, we'll be stronger. Stating fact isn't sexist. The reason I think a woman CAN make it to the pros someday, is because baseball doesn't require the biggest, fastest, and strongest. That all helps, but it's not a requirement to be good at the game.

Comment

Because it's a fact that men are stronger than women (on average). Pretty much every woman will tell you that. Do you think that "men are taller than women" or "in the USA, women live longer than men" are sexist statements?

Comment

Originally posted by clayadams View Post
                          I honestly think a team would eat up a potential female MLB player. She'd be like the Danica of the racing world. Good enough to race, not even close to the best, but still a money maker in a massive way. MLB is about money, and a female ball player would make MILLLLLLIONS, especially if she was good enough to play and not just be a novelty. So yes, I think a female that was good enough would get the chance. This isn't 1950 anymore.
                          For sure If Jessica Ennis could play MLB baseball she's be hugely popular with women, especially young girls, and she'd have a legion of Internet fan boys. Oh, wait. She already has a legion of Internet fan boys. She's been very popular since the London Olympic Games.

Jessica Ennis red.jpg

599DF35450E2AEDB3ACE197DF6F4.jpg
                          Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM.

Comment

MLB is about money, and a female ball player would make MILLLLLLIONS.
                            Ain't that the truth. There will indeed be a publicity machine like you wouldn't believe once a woman makes MLB.

baseball doesn't require the biggest, fastest, and strongest. That all helps, but it's not a requirement to be good at the game.
                            Also true. So if men really are stronger than women, that's insufficient to keep women out. Are we ALL in agreement on that?

Comment

Also true. So if men really are stronger than women, that's insufficient to keep women out. Are we ALL in agreement on that?
                              Laser, I don't really think anything is keeping women out of MLB. If there's a woman good enough to play, I guarantee you they'd be on it like white on rice. The problem occurs way down stream IMO. It goes back to what I previously said. "Girls play softball, boys play baseball." There are too many "good 'ole boys" clubs still in place. I could go into my personal experiences on the subject, both positive and negative. We're still in the early stages of our journey, so I don't know how it will play out into the future. For now, my daughter is a great combination of tomboy and girly girl. She has a determination that I've seen very few girls have. If more girls could have this level of determination, and you find the genetic freaks... it could happen. If they're not "shunned" out of playing the game to start with. I just think too many of those capable will ever be in the game. Who knows what the future may hold. For now, I'm just enjoying working with my daughter on whatever she enjoys doing.

Comment

Several times a girl high school pitcher that throws 85 mph has been mentioned. Her name is Sandy Almon. She graduated from high school in 2011. She now plays for the Chicago Pioneers, a women's traveling baseball team. Almon is the middle girl in the first row.

Sandy Almon.jpg

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-high-sc...aseball-field/

http://johnscreek.patch.com/articles...ne-of-the-guys

Almon in high school.

Sandy Almon 3.jpg

Sandy Almon 1.jpg

Sandy Almon 2.jpg

I couldn't find any video of Almon pitching. But I did find this video of Almon hitting the winning three-point shot in a high school basketball game.

According to this article in 2011, 698 girls played baseball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...chool-baseball
                                Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X