Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP Sophie Kurys, the "Flint Flash"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RIP Sophie Kurys, the "Flint Flash"

    The AAGPBL has lost another one of it's greats, Sophie Kurys. Sophie, the "Flint Flash", was perhaps the greatest base stealer of all time, making Cobb, Brock, and Henderson look like amateurs. In 1946, she stole 201 bases, although to prove she was only human, she did get caught stealing....twice.

    RIP Sophie.

    http://www.aagpbl.org/index.cfm/news...e-stealer-dies

    http://www.aagpbl.org/index.cfm/prof...urys-sophie/24

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rickengeezer View Post
    The AAGPBL has lost another one of it's greats, Sophie Kurys. Sophie, the "Flint Flash", was perhaps the greatest base stealer of all time, making Cobb, Brock, and Henderson look like amateurs. In 1946, she stole 201 bases, although to prove she was only human, she did get caught stealing....twice.

    RIP Sophie.

    http://www.aagpbl.org/index.cfm/news...e-stealer-dies

    http://www.aagpbl.org/index.cfm/prof...urys-sophie/24
    Sad news that she's gone.
    I can't imagine anybody sliding on 203 SB attempts in one of those skirts...I wonder if she was fast enough to steal standing up a fair amount? Seems unlikely...
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

    Comment


    • #3
      That's one thing I've seen with AAGPBLers, they stole a LOT of bases. Did the female catchers have trouble making the throw from home plate to second base?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
        That's one thing I've seen with AAGPBLers, they stole a LOT of bases. Did the female catchers have trouble making the throw from home plate to second base?
        I have a feeling that the issue had more to do with the bases being closer together--although it varied from year to year, it never reached the MLB distance (I think it ended at 85 feet apart but started out much closer). A second potential issue is that fielding in general didn't seem to be that great, as fielding percentages were typically lower than MLB, meaning that the chances of a fielding miscue on a SB attempt were probably high enough to justify taking the chance in most situations.

        Even so, Sophie was so far ahead of the rest of the league in this area that she must have been something to see on the basepaths.

        Comment


        • #5
          Not sure why their fielding avg were low , but to be honest never looked at those stats. I do know that they were very good players and would be today.Sophie was a very good friend of mine and I bet she didn't have to slide very often.You should try visiting our web site AAGPBL.org

          Comment


          • #6
            ​​
            Originally posted by carol sheldon View Post
            Not sure why their fielding avg were low , but to be honest never looked at those stats. I do know that they were very good players and would be today.Sophie was a very good friend of mine and I bet she didn't have to slide very often.You should try visiting our web site AAGPBL.org
            Hi Carol, continuing our slow conversation with four years between responses! I've been to the AAGPBL website so many times I'm probably responsible for half the hits on it. I also have a pretty good library on the league, and as shown in other posts I've been enjoying running simulations, because it was a style of baseball that was really unique, smallball to the extreme. So, putting yourself in the manager's seat is quite interesting. My latest obsession is creating Stratomatic (not ABPA!!!!) cards for the league to be able to play these games with cards and dice. Very cool that you were friends with Sophie Kurys--in her honor, here she is rendered into Stratomatic form:


            Capture.JPG

            Last edited by Rickengeezer; 06-05-2020, 05:25 AM.

            Comment

            Ad Widget

            Collapse
            Working...
            X