True to the movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True to the movie?

Obviously, since "League of their Own", interest in the AAGPBL grew. There are many, like me, who wanted to learn a lot about the league...hence my "Don't Hang Me" thread which got the ball rolling.

I've been looking through the links that have been left in this forum and they've been great. My question now is: How true was the movie to the actual events? I know that some names were changed...but whatelse, if anything, was changed and ventured away from the actual events?

Good to see the posts in here!
    Maybe this *could* be the year??
    :gt

Originally posted by nmgirl98
    Obviously, since "League of their Own", interest in the AAGPBL grew. There are many, like me, who wanted to learn a lot about the league...hence my "Don't Hang Me" thread which got the ball rolling.

I've been looking through the links that have been left in this forum and they've been great. My question now is: How true was the movie to the actual events? I know that some names were changed...but whatelse, if anything, was changed and ventured away from the actual events?

Good to see the posts in here!
    All the characters were fictional, of course. But as far as the game goes, one thing the movie changes (as I posted in another thread) was that the girls of the AAGPBL never played regulation baseball. When they began play, they pitched underhand, using a larger ball, and ran basepaths that were 65' long. They gradually moved to regulation baseball rules in many respects, but when the league folded after the 1954 season the bases were still only 85' apart.

List of AAGPBL rules here:

http://www.aagpbl.org/league/rules.cfm

Comment

One of my favorite examples of how they changed fact into fiction was with Jimmy Dugan, played by Hanks. His real-life counterpart was the hall of famer Jimmy Foxx, who did actually manage in the league. It was fun to compare his actual stats with those given in the movie.

I also purchased the screenplay off of ebay. It was an early draft, but I can tell it's authentic based upon the deleted scenes now provided on DVD. It was amazing how much the story changed before it hit the screen. Most notably, the reconciliation scene at the end of the game where Dottie and Kit meet near the locker rooms, that wasn't in the original draft.

Comment

Towards the end of the movie, after the 7th game of the championship had ended, Tom Hanks and Geena Davis were talking outside the ballpark and Hanks mentioned that he'd been offered a managing job in Wichita. Geena Davis seemed impressed and said "Not bad, Triple-A" except that Minor League Baseball did not have a Class AAA level until 1946 (the movie takes place in 1943) and Wichita didn't even have a Class AAA team until well into the 1950's. Seems like there was no reason to vary from the historical facts at that part of the movie but the producers felt the need to do so anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by poor_rockies_fan
          One of my favorite examples of how they changed fact into fiction was with Jimmy Dugan, played by Hanks. His real-life counterpart was the hall of famer Jimmy Foxx, who did actually manage in the league. It was fun to compare his actual stats with those given in the movie.

I also purchased the screenplay off of ebay. It was an early draft, but I can tell it's authentic based upon the deleted scenes now provided on DVD. It was amazing how much the story changed before it hit the screen. Most notably, the reconciliation scene at the end of the game where Dottie and Kit meet near the locker rooms, that wasn't in the original draft.
          Any signatures on the screenplay?

While the players were fictional, a lot of them, just like Jimmy Dugan being based on Double X, were based on actual players.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by shoeless1920
            Towards the end of the movie, after the 7th game of the championship had ended, Tom Hanks and Geena Davis were talking outside the ballpark and Hanks mentioned that he'd been offered a managing job in Wichita. Geena Davis seemed impressed and said "Not bad, Triple-A" except that Minor League Baseball did not have a Class AAA level until 1946 (the movie takes place in 1943) and Wichita didn't even have a Class AAA team until well into the 1950's. Seems like there was no reason to vary from the historical facts at that part of the movie but the producers felt the need to do so anyway.
            Either that or perhaps they just didn't have a fact checker who could verify this. I'm presuming the latter.
            Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
            THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
            Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by shoeless1920
              Seems like there was no reason to vary from the historical facts at that part of the movie but the producers felt the need to do so anyway.
              Not likely that the error was intentional "for artistic reasons" in this case. It's likely that the ending was revised on the set, so it's much more likely that this is a matter of not checking out the facts in their usual manner.
              John

Stan Musial Pages
              CultureDose Media Reviews

Comment

"All the characters were fictional, of course."

Were some of the characters composites? Geena Davis' character, "Dotty", did have a character named Dorothy in the real league. I think she was a first basemen who hit a lot of homers, but I could be wrong.

Anyone clarify for me?

Bill Burgess
                Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-11-2005, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Geena Davis' charachter was based on Dottie Kamensky, who I believe was also a catcher.
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-22-2006, 01:46 PM.
                  "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

The Geena Davis' charachter was actually based on a couple different girls from the league. I know Dorthy was a 1stbasemen, not sure how many times she may have been a catcher.

Comment

Truths

Male managers did not go in the locker room and Jimmie Foxx was not a drunk and he a complete gentleman with the women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by carol sheldon
                        Male managers did not go in the locker room and Jimmie Foxx was not a drunk and he a complete gentleman with the women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't speak on his interactions with women, but I thought Foxx was well-known for his drinking?
                        "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Here's an interesting article discussing some of the finer points of the film:
                          http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020511.html
                          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

It's pretty cool now because you can still go to the ballparks where they filmed the movie. The Peaches' ballpark is somewhere in Georgia I think. But the Racine team's park is in Evansville, Indiana and all the logos and signs used in the movie are still there. If you're on a trip through southern Indiana, it's worth a stop.
                            http://capitalfrontiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                              "All the characters were fictional, of course."

Were some of the characters composites? Geena Davis' character, "Dotty", did have a character named Dorothy in the real league. I think she was a first basemen who hit a lot of homers, but I could be wrong.

Anyone clarify for me?

Bill Burgess
                              ALL of the characters are composites. There are MANY Dorothy/Dotties in the League.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X